is your birthday a "big deal"?

Options

Replies

• smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I'm turning 24 in 4 days... I'm starting to get older, not really into partying anymore, don't have a huge circle of friends. The ones I do keep up with are all busy with work. All I plan to do is take the day off and meet my parents halfway for dinner. The rest will probably be sitting at home with my dog, mourning my youth. :cry:
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Huge deal! The entire month of January B!thches ;)
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Life is meant to be celebrated!! At 50 last year my sister threw me a birthday party and we had a good time was small but well done!!

this year will have my cake but a good healthy dinner before and send the leftovers home with someone else!! :drinker:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Mine was 2 days ago. I didn't even have anything planned until 2 days prior when my friends set up dinner and a movie. I don't really celebrate my birthday much

We have the same birthday, awesome. I seldom see anyone with my birthday..happy late birthday :)
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My birthday and my wife's are close together and just passed. My birthday has never been a big deal to me. It is a much bigger thing for my wife than for me. She took me out for dinner. For her I buy her a present and that is about it. Many years neither of us buy presents for the other.

A few years ago we even forgot about our anniversary until weeks later............. both of us forgot.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This year my birthday is a big deal. It's not a milestone year for my age or anything. But, it is a milestone in that it will be just over a year that I started my fitness quest. I don't know the exact day I started, long story. But, it was about a week or ten days before my birthday, so I will celebrate my one year of sticking to my diet and exercise goals then.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    ha. it is and it isn't. i get annoyed w bdays. i don't want to make a fuss, & hate the whole thing about being measurably older. but i still want a party. i am hard to please. usually spend it w fam & close friends; occasionally have a big do and get messy.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not really at all. Just another day and just feeling older. Never had a real party and never had a sweet 16. And on my 21st, didn't take a drink legally the day I turned it.
  • Lyndi4
    Lyndi4 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ah, birthdays... I agree that they get a little less exciting as we get older. As kids many of us can't wait to get older. Who hasn't met a kid who proudly announces that they are 7 and a HALF? I know I used to, but those days are gone. However, I do like to celebrate my birthday with family and friends. I usually celebrate with my husband and kiddos, and my siblings call and sometimes we get together for lunch or a mani/pedi in the coming week or so. Then, often I will get together with friends for lunch or dinner, not always on my birthday but sometime near it. Within our group we all do that for each other, and it's really nice.

I am not thrilled about the things like grey hair that come with age, but I do feel it is something to celebrate. I love the quote: "never complain about getting older, it is a privilege denied to many." My dad died young, so that quote has taken on more meaning to me. One day, I hope to be an old lady who feels young and spunky.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Ehhh.....I'd prefer that everyone just keeps going about their business and not make a fuss!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah!!! I usually take off like 3 or 4 days, 1 day with family, one crazy night with friends, and then usually an adventure!!! They've always been not that great when I was a kid, and we never really had much money, so instead of looking down on them I have embraced it and if I can celebrate and go all out I sure will!!! lol
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    I usually forget about it and it goes by like every other day.....although last year......my now ex gifted me some pretty sweet sexual intercourse in the parking lot of the restaurant we ate at. We were a little buzzed. I am however hoping to make it to the age of 76 since I was born that year. Damn.......can anyone out there imagine being 76?
  • louisemh28
    Options
    It wasn't a big deal to me even as a kid. I didn't like being the centre of attention, and I don't like getting presents, so by the time I'd got to high school I'd realised it was best if I didn't tell anyone when my birthday was. By now only family members and a couple of friends have known me long enough to know when it is.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I celebrate my twin's birthday...and she celebrates mine! It works well that way! LOL

Seriously I love birthdays! I don't like that I'm getting older...but I'm not goin in reverse for anything...I'm losing weight and right now I'm not as big as last year...Next year...going to a theme park for my b-day and hitting the roller coasters!!!! No joking...its a celebration of your life not something to ignore.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    no, not a big deal. i prefer to avoid the attention. i don't mind getting older - just uncomfortable in the spotlight.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Ehhh.....I'd prefer that everyone just keeps going about their business and not make a fuss!

This.. but I have a friend who celebrates her "bithica" the MONTH of her birth...and thinks presents should be included. ..:huh:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I always buy my birthday gift from my husband. I always love my gift, just what I wanted :-)
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Nah I'm not really into them, I don't see the fuss unless its a milestone age. I only realised it was my birthday tomorrow 2 or 3 days ago, because I've been so busy with coursework, my friends are enforcing celebration on me, but I love hanging out with them so I don't mind.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 24 in 4 days... I'm starting to get older, not really into partying anymore, don't have a huge circle of friends. The ones I do keep up with are all busy with work. All I plan to do is take the day off and meet my parents halfway for dinner. The rest will probably be sitting at home with my dog, mourning my youth. :cry:

I don't believe turning 24 constitutes getting "old"er (besides the literal meaning) and mourning your youth. We have so much left to experience yet! Yikes, I still think of myself as a kid :laugh:
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    No, it's become completely arbitrary once I turned...13 or something. I don't expect people to remember when I was born, much less celebrate it. It's just a day. I'm perfectly content on having one holiday per yer to worry about, which tends to be Christmas.