Is Keto Worth it?

Options
I am CONSIDERING Keto. It seems so drastic to me. If you eat a cookie the weight will come back. Anyone successful on this? Was it hard?

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    For me it isn't worth all the work to cut out food groups and I can't see how going extremely low can be beneficial to health overall. I prefer moderation. I eat what I like (not ALL the time obviously, and within calorie limits).

unless there is another actual health reason that requires cutting of foods from the diet, I don't see the point. I find just staying under calories and balancing macros hard enough thank you very much. not adding MORE difficulty to this task.

I also prefer working towards healthy habits that i can maintain the rest of my life. once i am ready to go to maintenance I can easily keep doing what I am doing with a different (slightly higher) calorie goal.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My best friend and her husband have had great success with Keto as a method of weight loss. They love it, she is a chef and has created so many wonderful recipes. But going out for lunch with her is very complicated. I don't do well with restrictions so it is not for me... I think there is no harm in giving it a try to see if it may work for you and you like it.

I do lunches out from time to time with work. It is pretty easy for me anyway. I'll get something like the roast beef swiss melt with mushrooms and ask them to hold the bread. They will let you substitute broccoli for the fries. You are set.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My best friend and her husband have had great success with Keto as a method of weight loss. They love it, she is a chef and has created so many wonderful recipes. But going out for lunch with her is very complicated. I don't do well with restrictions so it is not for me... I think there is no harm in giving it a try to see if it may work for you and you like it.

Dining out on keto doesn’t really have to be a big deal. Delis will sell chicken or tuna salad by the tub; diners that serve breakfast all day are a gimme; anywhere you can get a burger you can just leave off the bun; Cobb salads always work. Once I got comfortable with the idea that I might need to leave some things on the plate it was actually quite easy. The only time I run into trouble is at pizzerias that ONLY have pizza, and then I just....eat pizza. And get back to keto the next day.

I don't find it complicated either.
    I'm a celiac and eating gluten free is complicated. If just low carb I could have a Bunless burger or a steak and salad. As a celiac I need to know if the grill has been contaminated, what spices were used, was soy or worchestershire used, is the salad really GF or just crouton removed, is there filler in the burger, and can I have a new ketchup that has no risk of having touched the bun.

I tend to just go for drinks. Lol ;)

Yes! I have a friend with a serious nut allergy and THAT'S stressful. The worst that can happen on keto is that I miscalculate and stop being in ketosis for a little bit. Oh no! It's a single meal; it's just not that serious. :)
This discussion has been closed.