Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Awards" Rant

Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
They are organizing a step challenge at work, Some of my group was going to do it so I took a look. It involves measuring steps with a tracker or phone app. Since I don't have a tracker, I looked at the recommended phone app.

When I looked at the app, this "challenge/award opportunity" came up. WTF, some app developer feels the need to "award" adult behavior (2nd or 3rd shift workers not included in this rant)?

ho8syomc4okh.jpg

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I think digital "awards" are dumb. I don't care if a little trophy pops up on my phone because I finished today's C25k run.
    That said, this app seems to me to be no different than a fitbit reminding someone to get up and walk every so often. A reminder/encouragement to get up and get going is fine, IMO.

But 9 AM? What normal functioning adult isn't up by 9 AM 5 days a week (shift workers excluded).

That part is weird because most adults would need to be at work already.*shrugs*
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    My first fitness tracker tried to give me awards for waking up on time. I turned that feature off pronto! I am not a product of the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality, and a program rewarding me for doing what I've done on my own since I was 13 isn't motivating.

ETA also, 9am? Is that really some kind of achievement? I've been up for 3 hours chasing kids off my lawn by then :laugh:

I need a video of this in my life. I'll even present you with an award.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    LOL. Get up before 9am and you get a special award? Aren't most people already at work by that time?