Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Awards" Rant

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The MFP logins thing is especially silly because you don't have to use the site or app to get credit. If I go for a hike or bike ride, my watch will sync, and MFP treats that as if I logged in.

This is why it's always funny to me when I see someone freaking out because they can't close their diary for low calories (whole other issue) and think they will lose their streak. I haven't closed my diary in months.

I've never closed my diary ever. What does doing that get you?

A bogus 'if every day was like today, you would weigh this much in 5 weeks' message and an auto post to your news feed, if you're into that sort of thing.

If every day was like yesterday, I'd have a consultant doing all my work for me, a lifetime supply of free coffee, and a lot of anxiety over a temporarily lost pet.

Remember that movie Groundhog Day?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    LOL. Get up before 9am and you get a special award? Aren't most people already at work by that time?

It's called a paycheck?

You win! Which prize do you want?
    :p

The ability to eat all the foodz without gaining!
    Then that is what you shall have!
    All in the spirit of no need for sacrifice!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    The MFP logins thing is especially silly because you don't have to use the site or app to get credit. If I go for a hike or bike ride, my watch will sync, and MFP treats that as if I logged in.

This is why it's always funny to me when I see someone freaking out because they can't close their diary for low calories (whole other issue) and think they will lose their streak. I haven't closed my diary in months.

I've never closed my diary ever. What does doing that get you?

You are rewarded with a "What if" statement that is wildly inaccurate.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    LOL. Get up before 9am and you get a special award? Aren't most people already at work by that time?

It's called a paycheck?

You win! Which prize do you want?
    :p

The ability to eat all the foodz without gaining!

That prize is currently unavailable. How about the ability to pay your electric bill and mortgage for another month instead?

Winter is coming. I guess that will work. :sad:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited September 2018

Ya.. I don't even fill out my diary. I get patted on the back for wasting my time on a forum :D
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Some people find these kinds of things motivating, I suppose. This "gamification" is a pretty standard thing in digital life nowadays. MFP gives you a digital high-five when you log in for a certain number of days straight. Heck, I'm almost kind of proud of some of my untappd "badges", including the "Extraordinary" badge for 1000 unique check-ins:
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Regarding 9 AM: When I was in grad school I'd routinely stay up working until 2-3 AM and then sleep in well past 9. Of course, you can argue that a PhD student isn't a "normal functioning adult". ;)

1169 as of today :)

Love Untappd!

do we need to start a MFP untapped club :) i'm laggin behind you guys - i just joined
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I don't find it annoying at all. Positive reinforcement is a good tool for getting healthy. Getting up at 9 am is not the point of this, the point of this is to do something seemingly easy (most people can manage 9 am, that is why it's so late) to get the reward, condition the positive response to the reward.

So we reward a level lower than mediocracy, SMH.
  • CSARdiver
    Some people find these kinds of things motivating, I suppose. This "gamification" is a pretty standard thing in digital life nowadays. MFP gives you a digital high-five when you log in for a certain number of days straight. Heck, I'm almost kind of proud of some of my untappd "badges", including the "Extraordinary" badge for 1000 unique check-ins:
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Regarding 9 AM: When I was in grad school I'd routinely stay up working until 2-3 AM and then sleep in well past 9. Of course, you can argue that a PhD student isn't a "normal functioning adult". ;)

Love Untappd!

do we need to start a MFP untapped club :) i'm laggin behind you guys - i just joined

Done!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/128596-untappd-beer-lovers-of-mfp
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

You spelled "untapped" wrong, dumbass :)
  • quiksylver296
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

It didn't kitten that?!?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

It didn't kitten that?!?

Nope.

And yes I was amused by that as well.

Did ask to join though.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

I can't join. I hate beer :sad:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    *kitten* you guys are fast today!

That's what she......

Always says?
  • quiksylver296
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

I can't join. I hate beer :sad:

Same. Shall we go for margaritas, @pinuplove?
  • CSARdiver
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

Untappd spelled untapped wrong :)
  • quiksylver296
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

Untappd spelled untapped wrong :)

It's so nice that you didn't resort to name-calling, like some people...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    They are organizing a step challenge at work, Some of my group was going to do it so I took a look. It involves measuring steps with a tracker or phone app. Since I don't have a tracker, I looked at the recommended phone app.

When I looked at the app, this "challenge/award opportunity" came up. WTF, some app developer feels the need to "award" adult behavior (2nd or 3rd shift workers not included in this rant)?

For what it's worth, developers just write what the spec tells us to. There was a product manager, a designer, and a graphic artist involved in this decision.

If they'd had a Business Analyst, they'd have discovered the actual need the app could meet and developed towards that instead.

*Steps off soapbox

(Yes, I'm a business analyst lol)