Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Awards" Rant

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I think digital "awards" are dumb. I don't care if a little trophy pops up on my phone because I finished today's C25k run.
    That said, this app seems to me to be no different than a fitbit reminding someone to get up and walk every so often. A reminder/encouragement to get up and get going is fine, IMO.

But 9 AM? What normal functioning adult isn't up by 9 AM 5 days a week (shift workers excluded).

*Hand up* I like staying up late and I am a East Coast person who works from home for a company based on the West Coast. My job is heavily based on interactions with other people, so I don't see the point of being at my laptop at 9 AM when the people I have to talk to aren't awake yet.

Would consider your situation type of shift work.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fact that positive reinforcement is good and the little digital awards are a good thing, but when they are so frequent for every little thing, that just reduces their meaningfulness. At least in my mind. Like MFP gives me a little "pat on the back" every 5 days for logging in. Thanks MFP I feel so much better about myself for having logged in another 5 days in a row. Woopedoo.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Some people find these kinds of things motivating, I suppose. This "gamification" is a pretty standard thing in digital life nowadays. MFP gives you a digital high-five when you log in for a certain number of days straight. Heck, I'm almost kind of proud of some of my untappd "badges", including the "Extraordinary" badge for 1000 unique check-ins:
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Regarding 9 AM: When I was in grad school I'd routinely stay up working until 2-3 AM and then sleep in well past 9. Of course, you can argue that a PhD student isn't a "normal functioning adult". ;)

1169 as of today :)

Love Untappd!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The MFP logins thing is especially silly because you don't have to use the site or app to get credit. If I go for a hike or bike ride, my watch will sync, and MFP treats that as if I logged in.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    The MFP logins thing is especially silly because you don't have to use the site or app to get credit. If I go for a hike or bike ride, my watch will sync, and MFP treats that as if I logged in.

This is why it's always funny to me when I see someone freaking out because they can't close their diary for low calories (whole other issue) and think they will lose their streak. I haven't closed my diary in months.

I haven't even filled mine in for a couple of months, but that doesn't impact your MFP streak.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

This is why it's always funny to me when I see someone freaking out because they can't close their diary for low calories (whole other issue) and think they will lose their streak. I haven't closed my diary in months.

I haven't even filled mine in for a couple of months, but that doesn't impact your MFP streak.

Slacker.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I agree with the fact that positive reinforcement is good and the little digital awards are a good thing, but when they are so frequent for every little thing, that just reduces their meaningfulness. At least in my mind. Like MFP gives me a little "pat on the back" every 5 days for logging in. Thanks MFP I feel so much better about myself for having logged in another 5 days in a row. Woopedoo.

I know, after a certain point it should be every 30 days or something.

I don't mind digital trophies or badges, it can be a nice reminder of how far you've come, but I agree there is a certain amount of diminishing returns when you get them for every little thing!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    tried to reply to wrong post
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I've never closed my diary ever. What does doing that get you?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

The "In 5 weeks, you will weigh ..." statement. That's it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

A badge. Or at least a note telling you how much you will weigh in 5 weeks if you keep doing everything exactly the same as you did on the day it closed.

Oh, and it shows up in you newsfeed I think.
  • pinuplove
    Options

A bogus 'if every day was like today, you would weigh this much in 5 weeks' message and an auto post to your news feed, if you're into that sort of thing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    LOL. Get up before 9am and you get a special award? Aren't most people already at work by that time?

It's called a paycheck?

You win! Which prize do you want?
    :p
  • pinuplove
    Options
    *kitten* you guys are fast today!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    LOL. Get up before 9am and you get a special award? Aren't most people already at work by that time?

It's called a paycheck?

The ability to eat all the foodz without gaining!
  • pinuplove
    Options

It's called a paycheck?

The ability to eat all the foodz without gaining!

That prize is currently unavailable. How about the ability to pay your electric bill and mortgage for another month instead?