Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Awards" Rant

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yes I realize there are people stuck in jobs they aren't happy with including teachers and scientists...but that is unfortunate, that isnt good...that isnt an ideal to aspire to. Is the world you describe the one you want to live in? Because the one we want to live in is the one we should aspire to and push society in the direction of. This "gamification" of adult responsibility isnt helping.

You were the one who asked what happened to working for work’s sake or working for the good of society. You have now answered your own question in the same way I did; nothing has happened to it.

That has never been the reason most people worked. It has always been the reason that some people worked. It’s the reason why some people work today; and probably in fact more than in the past, not fewer.

It’s your idea that little pats on the back that give people a little fillip every day are a bad thing that is destroying society that is really depressing.

...by the way, what is good about working for work’s sake?

The way they teach history basically goes like this: people spent all their time hunting and gathering, then we figured agriculture out, and society began. Freeing up people's time allowed specialization. Instead of everybody being a rat catcher, people could make art, build cities, discover and teach knowledge, etc.

When automation and robotics make so many jobs unnecessary, perhaps it will be another great leap forward.

I don't mean to pat myself on the back here, but I need an example. I'm a talented photographer. My landscape photos make people appreciate the beauty, and perhaps the value of nature. But that doesn't pay much, and I also know how to write coffee, which does. Paying Seattle rent, this is an easy choice.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You don’t have to create a very ‘large’ lifestyle to not be able to get by on starting-level wages. Debts resulting from periods of unemployment or illness will do it, for example.

I'f someone is in a starting level wage job there typically isn't anything barring them from leaving for a similar paying job in a different field.

I was replying to a post that said people burn out and can't afford to change jobs. If you can't afford to change jobs you built too large of a lifestyle. Medical issues, unemployed can happen but much more frequently it's too much house, too expensive vehicles or other toys.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You don’t have to create a very ‘large’ lifestyle to not be able to get by on starting-level wages. Debts resulting from periods of unemployment or illness will do it, for example.

I'f someone is in a starting level wage job there typically isn't anything barring them from leaving for a similar paying job in a different field.

I was replying to a post that said people burn out and can't afford to change jobs. If you can't afford to change jobs you built too large of a lifestyle. Medical issues, unemployed can happen but much more frequently it's too much house, too expensive vehicles or other toys.

I said nothing about someone being currently in a starting level wage job. But if they burn out and want to change fields, then they’re facing starting level wages in their new field.

I really didn’t think it was that complicated. (And that’s without even considering retraining costs, increased unemployment risks due to lack of experience, etc etc)

And again, you don’t need to be living ‘large’ to not be able to get by on starting level wages. Just having children will do it!

(Yes, there are people who support a family on starting level wages. But not easily, or without significant sacrifices for the entire family.)
  • Packerjohn
    Options

I said nothing about someone being currently in a starting level wage job. But if they burn out and want to change fields, then they’re facing starting level wages in their new field.

I really didn’t think it was that complicated. (And that’s without even considering retraining costs, increased unemployment risks due to lack of experience, etc etc)

And again, you don’t need to be living ‘large’ to not be able to get by on starting level wages. Just having children will do it!

(Yes, there are people who support a family on starting level wages. But not easily, or without significant sacrifices for the entire family.)

Say an experienced engineer making $100k a year decides he/she is burnt out and would rather design floral arrangements instead (pays $25k). The engineer has a large house payment, couple cars, etc. This person can't afford to change jobs unless they start living much smaller.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Say an experienced engineer making $100k a year decides he/she is burnt out and would rather design floral arrangements instead (pays $25k). The engineer has a large house payment, couple cars, etc. This person can't afford to change jobs unless they start living much smaller.

Where’s the problem?
    The nice house and nice car are within current means.
    If they decide they’d rather do something else that pays less, downsizing to something else brings them back to within their means.
    Should they live in a small, modest house when they do have money in case they decide to change their situation to one where they don’t?
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Where’s the problem?
    If they decide they’d rather do something else that pays less, downsizing to something else brings them back to within their means.
    Should they live in a small, modest house when they do have money in case they decide to change their situation to one where they don’t?

Not at all. A poster earlier said, "I can point to a number of such people who have burned out but can’t afford to change professions." I was describing how to do it, they would have to change to a "smaller" lifestyle. You said exactly the same thing I did.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    They are organizing a step challenge at work, Some of my group was going to do it so I took a look. It involves measuring steps with a tracker or phone app. Since I don't have a tracker, I looked at the recommended phone app.

When I looked at the app, this "challenge/award opportunity" came up. WTF, some app developer feels the need to "award" adult behavior (2nd or 3rd shift workers not included in this rant)?

ho8syomc4okh.jpg

I find it weird that so many people are mad about this. Awards like this make people feel nice about themselves and encourage positive, healthy habits. Sure, it might be a small achievement, but I really don't see the problem with this kind of encouragement. Are you really so superior that you can't see the benefits in this?

Plus, things like this can be really useful for mentally ill people. I have 'brush teeth' on my to-do list twice a day, because when in a deep depression it's hard for me to even get out of bed. It might be easy for you to take basic things for granted, but it's not equally easy for everyone.

Sincerely sorry for your depression issues.

I still stand by my opinion that "rewards" for adult behavior in normally functional individuals is ridiculous.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Where’s the problem?

Not at all. A poster earlier said, "I can point to a number of such people who have burned out but can’t afford to change professions." I was describing how to do it, they would have to change to a "smaller" lifestyle. You said exactly the same thing I did.

Gotcha. Thought you were implying that it was foolish for them to have purchased the larger house, etc. or that it was somehow beyond their means.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So what type of rewards do you find not ridiculous? Should a marathoner not earn a medal for completing a race? Should the winner not receive a medal for winning a race? I am a normal functioning adult (who actually woke up after 9 this morning since I don’t have to work) who is motivated by seeing my daily streak in MFP, the medals I have won by winning my age groups in all distances of running hanging on my belt bar in my closet, and other such things.

I guess I really don’t care about what motivates others. If getting a sticker helps someone, great. I personally think the problem arises when there is no reward and that person has been conditioned to ONLY succeed for a reward and not because of self-gratification, survival, necessity, personal responsibility, etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    So what type of rewards do you find not ridiculous? Should a marathoner not earn a medal for completing a race? Should the winner not receive a medal for winning a race? I am a normal functioning adult (who actually woke up after 9 this morning since I don’t have to work) who is motivated by seeing my daily streak in MFP, the medals I have won by winning my age groups in all distances of running hanging on my belt bar in my closet, and other such things.

I guess I really don’t care about what motivates others. If getting a sticker helps someone, great. I personally think the problem arises when there is no reward and that person has been conditioned to ONLY succeed for a reward and not because of self-gratification, survival, necessity, personal responsibility, etc.

The bolded is what IMO is the problem with all these reward things. People are starting to get conditioned that they have to have some reward for the basics.