Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Awards" Rant

Options

Replies

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Some people find these kinds of things motivating, I suppose. This "gamification" is a pretty standard thing in digital life nowadays. MFP gives you a digital high-five when you log in for a certain number of days straight. Heck, I'm almost kind of proud of some of my untappd "badges", including the "Extraordinary" badge for 1000 unique check-ins:
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Regarding 9 AM: When I was in grad school I'd routinely stay up working until 2-3 AM and then sleep in well past 9. Of course, you can argue that a PhD student isn't a "normal functioning adult". ;)

1169 as of today :)

Love Untappd!

do we need to start a MFP untapped club :) i'm laggin behind you guys - i just joined

Done!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/128596-untappd-beer-lovers-of-mfp

You spelled "untapped" wrong, dumbass :)

It didn't kitten that?!?
    That's too bad, because I like the idea of the word "dumbkitten."

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    They are organizing a step challenge at work, Some of my group was going to do it so I took a look. It involves measuring steps with a tracker or phone app. Since I don't have a tracker, I looked at the recommended phone app.

When I looked at the app, this "challenge/award opportunity" came up. WTF, some app developer feels the need to "award" adult behavior (2nd or 3rd shift workers not included in this rant)?

For what it's worth, developers just write what the spec tells us to. There was a product manager, a designer, and a graphic artist involved in this decision.

If they'd had a Business Analyst, they'd have discovered the actual need the app could meet and developed towards that instead.

*Steps off soapbox

(Yes, I'm a business analyst lol)

Now you have me wondering if the general public (not us enlightened folks here!) gave enough feedback requesting a feature like that to make including it more appealing to the targeted audience.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Some people find these kinds of things motivating, I suppose. This "gamification" is a pretty standard thing in digital life nowadays. MFP gives you a digital high-five when you log in for a certain number of days straight. Heck, I'm almost kind of proud of some of my untappd "badges", including the "Extraordinary" badge for 1000 unique check-ins:
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Regarding 9 AM: When I was in grad school I'd routinely stay up working until 2-3 AM and then sleep in well past 9. Of course, you can argue that a PhD student isn't a "normal functioning adult". ;)

Love Untappd!

do we need to start a MFP untapped club :) i'm laggin behind you guys - i just joined

Done!

Untappd spelled untapped wrong :)

It's so nice that you didn't resort to name-calling, like some people...

You're such a guy.....
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

I can't join. I hate beer :sad:

Same. Shall we go for margaritas, @pinuplove?

Sign me up! I just want to belong :cry:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

You guys can launch Uncorkd.

• pinuplove
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

Untappd spelled untapped wrong :)

It's so nice that you didn't resort to name-calling, like some people...

Worst.

Canadian.

Ever.

:laugh: He should have his citizenship revoked for that offense.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

Looks a bit too much like something else no guy would ever want to join.

Although.... :tongue:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

But I don't like wine, either...
  • pinuplove
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

Then get busy thinking up a clever name for a margarita group.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

angunnnda70w.png
  • quiksylver296
    Options

angunnnda70w.png

And yet you still lurk...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

This guy is in

jiuzccohyzs9.png

Edit - I have no idea who this is. This was the #3 image result from my google search "ultimate beta male"
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HBcgxOWAQ
  • pinuplove
    edited September 2018
    Options

angunnnda70w.png

I notice that thread has at some point been clicked on....
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The MFP logins thing is especially silly because you don't have to use the site or app to get credit. If I go for a hike or bike ride, my watch will sync, and MFP treats that as if I logged in.

This is why it's always funny to me when I see someone freaking out because they can't close their diary for low calories (whole other issue) and think they will lose their streak. I haven't closed my diary in months.

I've never closed my diary ever. What does doing that get you?

You are rewarded with a "What if" statement that is wildly inaccurate.

Wouldn't it be great if I could sell those?
  • pinuplove
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HBcgxOWAQ

:+1:
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

angunnnda70w.png

Accident, I assure you.

No I wasn't checking to see if you were talking about me behind my back. I really wasn't....
  • pinuplove
    edited September 2018
    Options

angunnnda70w.png

Accident, I assure you.

No I wasn't checking to see if you were talking about me behind my back. I really wasn't....

You're 343 posts behind. You know how thread drift goes...
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    a75wsa49hiy6.jpg

Love Untappd!

Done!

This guy is in

jiuzccohyzs9.png

Edit - I have no idea who this is. This was the #3 image result from my google search "ultimate beta male"

I was wondering. My education is lacking on current social figures, so I just figured it was somebody I should know but didn't.