do i go vegan?

Options
hnic76
hnic76 Posts: 22 Member
edited September 2018 in Food and Nutrition
right now i’m already “vegetarian” (i wouldn’t say i’m full vegetarian bc maybe once a month i’ll have maybe a hamburger or chicken, but i eat completely vegetarian about 98% of the time) , last week i tested out a week going vegan and i was 50/50 - i liked that i had a little bit more restrictions and i managed to go a week without binging which is huge for me bc i’m i am a BIG binge eater, bc all the snacks i would binge on aren’t vegan, i felt better and i liked overall the idea of being vegan- there were a few cons i found- i was a bit more hungry and didn’t have as many options bc i couldn’t find any vegan meals i enjoyed bc i’m very picky so i ate a lot of the same stuff like vegan chicken nuggets and smoothies and the “diet” / “lifestyle” became a bit boring, i also really missed my cheese lol .. i just have seen a lot of different opinions on being vegan vs vegetarian- i’m just super torn and i just need some advice, i know in the end it is all up to me and how i feel but i would love to hear some opinions, do i go full vegan? and would going vegan truly improve my health as much as i hear people talk about it doing or is it just about the same as being vegetarian.. thanks in advance *edit: by benefits i’ve just heard a lot of people talk ab how being vegan improved their overall health and then there’s things like lower risk of heart disease and stuff like that*

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add, I know a fair amount of people who are what I personally would call vegan (someone who doesn't eat any animal products) or vegetarian because they can't digest or are allergic to various animal proteins. For them it is very much not an ethical and/or religious issue. I also know a handful of people who just flat out don't like meat (or perhaps more specifically, the meats they've tried) and other animal products.

As to the question at hand, being vegan isn't any more healthy than eating an omnivorous diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    You miss cheese because they line it with a chemical that's addicting. You won't miss it after awhile. Trust me.

It can seem like a vegan lifestyle is really restricting at first, but it's really not. It's new. It's drastically different. It can take awhile of experimenting before you find foods that you like. I'm always pro vegan. There isn't a need for us to eat meat or animal products. Especially dairy. There isn't anything healthy about putting another mammals hormones into your body that was made for baby calves. That's why some people see an improvement in their acne when they stop eating dairy - it's their hormones balancing out.
    It's really easy to harm yourself with veganism if you don't know what you're doing. It's important for the diet to be varied. I would encourage you to experiment with the foods that you don't like and to see if there's a way to make them more appealing.

I don't want to make this comment too long. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me

I know how you line a skirt or a dress, but how do you line cheese?!

We make cheese every year at home. We buy special cheesecloth laced with heroin, or at least that's what I suspect because I can't stop eating it.
    Snort!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Icrizz wrote: »
    You miss cheese because they line it with a chemical that's addicting. You won't miss it after awhile. Trust me.

It can seem like a vegan lifestyle is really restricting at first, but it's really not. It's new. It's drastically different. It can take awhile of experimenting before you find foods that you like. I'm always pro vegan. There isn't a need for us to eat meat or animal products. Especially dairy. There isn't anything healthy about putting another mammals hormones into your body that was made for baby calves. That's why some people see an improvement in their acne when they stop eating dairy - it's their hormones balancing out.
    It's really easy to harm yourself with veganism if you don't know what you're doing. It's important for the diet to be varied. I would encourage you to experiment with the foods that you don't like and to see if there's a way to make them more appealing.

I don't want to make this comment too long. If you have any questions then feel free to ask me

I know how you line a skirt or a dress, but how do you line cheese?!

We make cheese every year at home. We buy special cheesecloth laced with heroin, or at least that's what I suspect because I can't stop eating it.

Are you buying it on the street corner out of Sid's trenchcoat?