WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,352 Member
    Options
    Did an hour on the treadmill of a 20-40-60 workout. Basically, this is an interval workout. Recover for 60 seconds, go faster for 40 and then run for 20. I’ve learned that I need to go to the bathroom after 30 minutes, because after 60 I REALLY had to go. Well…live and learn….and die a fool….lol The plan for tomorrow is to do a Core Secrets Accelerated Core Training DVD. Vince wants to leave early to go to the Hallmark store.

After exercise went to Aldi then ACMoore then into the pool! Hope it stays this warm longer, but I suspect it won’t. Vince wants to cut the grass tomorrow.

NYKaren – have a great time!

LeGypsyRo – hope everything goes well for your liver

Terry in VT – good for you throwing out those Cheetos. That’s where they belong

Tracey – how wonderful for your husband and you. How I wish the US would do Thanksgiving like you guys rather than in November. It gets lost between Halloween and Christmas. If we were to do it in early October, at least it probably wouldn’t get lost

Sharon – Jessica just bought a moped. She doesn’t plan to use it for school, the school provides a bus service that you can use if you pay a certain amount every semester which isn’t much $$$. However, she plans to use it for things like going food shopping, if she needs to stay at school after the last bus leaves, things like that

Newcomers: I know someone made a change to the mail list (I suspect it was Greg). I don’t know how many changes were made and why, so I asked Adra and Sandy. Adra answered me saying that members can now update their own information so maybe a member did that. I just answered her that the two (directory and mail list) are totally different. I talked to Brian (who set up the website, the guy who died suddenly) who told me (I don’t know if this is true, but this is the fact) that I should only input the information once but that these were two separate systems (which they are) and as a result I have to enter the email address twice. Adra seems to think that if someone updates the directory it will automatically update the mail list. It won’t. She said that she’s hoping Sandy is better soon so they can show me how to put someone on the new directory. To me, the old directory has so much more functionality. I’m hoping that they will come here and I can show Sandy how much functionality there is, things that you just can’t do with the new directory. I guess my problem is that I care too much for the members, I want to give them as much as possible. But Adra seems to think that Greg is a real computer wiz. He isn’t. I honestly think Vince knows more about computer systems than Greg. At least that was Vince’s career. OK, Vince isn’t a programmer. But he does know systems. Greg was a chemical engineer.

Went to Lowe’s Hardware to get a hinge for Vince to mount on the screen into Shadow’s room so that our cats can, hopefully, get to be friends with Shadow. I don’t know how much this will work, but it’s worth a try.

Allie – (((HUGS))))

Sue in WA – I’m sorry to hear about your husband, at least they’re catching it early.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen: I love the photo of DGS. :bigsmile:

(((Allie))) May your dad rest in peace. :heart:

Terry: I’m glad that you’re back. :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: Your grandson is one lucky boy. You are doing a great job helping him. :heart:

Sue in WA: I’m sorry to hear that your DH needed to be referred to an oncologist. I hope things go well for him & will send good thoughts his way. :heart: On a lighter note, how do you cheer up bored horses? It sounds as though you have a lot to deal with. Bored dogs & kids get into mischief. Do bored horses do the same? When Arrow is bored or has been in the stall too long he seems to get grumpy & has a bad attitude. :ohwell: (His stall is very large and also has an outdoor paddock.) Thanks for the sympathy about yoga. I’m going to remind DH that I need to get back to it regularly.

Suebdew in TX: It sounds to me like your DH & you have some good reasons to be low on energy. I suspect your DH’s brother’s cancer and death are weighing on you both. Sending healing thoughts and sympathy. :broken_heart::heart:

Machka: I’m glad you’ve created a useful plan to help your DH with his recovery process. He is lucky to have you on his side. :heart;

JanetR: Love the photo of the cute little shark. :smiley:

I have hit a wall and need to rest. I hope everyone has a good evening.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ... one organisation wants to reduce his care, but instead put him into a whole bunch of programs ...

I had told this one that my husband was a journalist for a number of years (he was mainly a sports journalist but also covered political news sometimes) ........... as soon as she heard "journalist", she got all excited and wanted me to get him a pretty notebook and colourful pens so he could start journalling all his thoughts, emotions, etc.
    Um ... no. :confounded:

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla & Sue Some of my fondest memories are of the antics of my quarter horse & his buddies when they were bored. Like Sue said, they will tip stuff over & push things around on the ground, which can cause some aggravation for their humans. Mostly my horse & his buddies goofed around with each other, though. If I would have known that you could give them toys, I would have:

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Saturday -- the day started nice, with a decent temp of 17C, but the temp dropped quickly during the ride and my feet are still cold!!

This was my husband's first ride out to the end of the Cycleway since his accident!! A bit of a milestone! We've been building up the distance, and he's been exercising in other ways like gardening and walking, and we finally did it today. :)

Distance: 27.01km
    Elevation: 222m
    Moving Time: 1:37:05
    Elapsed Time: 1:39:26
    Speed: Avg: 16.7km/h | Max: 29.9km/h

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,230 Member
    Options
    Janetr - Lovely, happy GGDS. <3

So sorry Sue for your worries about your DH. :'( My ex had really bad liver problems and tumours on his kidneys, but he is still going strong. I hope you two are as lucky.

My best wishes for all those suffering for themselves, or for their loved ones. Life can knock you for six, that's sure.

Done my exercises. It'll be a recumbent cycle for my bonus calories after lunch. Luckily I have a Michael Moseley to watch on my tablet.

Saturday newspaper day today. No writing. Horrible weather out there.

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Yay I have caught up. Missed you for two days and had a lot to catch up on lol.

Had a few very very lazy days with my sister in law and niece, hardly reached 5,000 steps, I really wanted to get them to go out for a walk, but knew I had no chance as the weather was cold and drizzly. So I went with the flow and had a good rest catching up with their news and watching TV and DVDs. We watched the new Jumanji DVD which I quite enjoyed. I was glad to get back home though. Sitting doing nothing all day is only tolerable for a few days at most.

Back to logging food and being careful. Not doing so well so far on my goals for this month.

Barbie glad to hear Jake's good news and congrats on walking 10,000 steps and that you are taking it slow.

Love the pictures of gorgeous children/ happy horses / scenery and strange looking clouds. I love watching the clouds when out walking Leah, and often take photos. I must admit that since I retired I am taking the opportunity to be a snail. For the first few weeks I think I put too much pressure on myself to get things done in the house, so much that I felt tired all the time. I feel so much better now I have s l o w e d d o w n. Mind you I have started with a stinking cold so I'm feeling a bit grotty at the moment but I generally feel happier than I have in a long time. Hope it lasts!!

Best get a move on, I have to take my dad his morning paper and it is getting on to lunch time.

Viv York UK <3<3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Janetr (((Mia and Layla))) <3<3
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Janet: Layla and Mia are so cute!

Karen: Grandson looks like he is into driving!

Alison: Know you are glad that the burial is over and hope you find the closure you need to move on.

Katla: Glad your husband’s new leg brace is improving his mobility.

Sue: So sorry to hear about your husband’s brother. Cancer and its treatments are so scary. Perhaps the stress of this is affecting you and your husband plus the never ending heat.

Barbie: You deserve new shoes and a new coat. Enjoy. My new Crocs came in yesterday but I have not opened the box yet.

Machka: Continued good thoughts for you and your husband.

We took the family to our favorite Mexican restaurant last night to celebrate our son's 43rd birthday. He did not really enjoy the outing as he is having a lot of trouble with his back and looked tired and in pain. No matter how old they get, you never stop worrying about your child/children. The DnL and her mother will be getting the granddaughter to a cross country race today and the grandson to a lacrosse game. I will not be going as my knees have not gotten much better with the shots and my ankles are really swollen by the end of the day. DH is wanting me to go to a doctor to check out my heart function. I hate going to the doctor!

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,562 Member
    Options
    no gym workout, going to work
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen: I’ve seen video of horses playing with large balls before, but never with a rubber chicken. :laugh:

Machka: Congratulations to your DH for his first ride since the accident. WTG!!! You both seem to be getting your lives back. Yay!!!

Sue in WA: Sending good thoughts your way. :heart:

There is a scheduled Halloween Parade this afternoon, but the weather looks iffy. My friend is planning to ride Arrow in the parade and wants us to take pictures. I hope they get a dry patch for the parade. Right now the skies are overcast but it isn’t raining. I hope that continues for the rest of the day and the parade this evening.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,747 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - Red Deer to Edmonton, did you have to do that daily? I live in Leduc and work in Capilano area of Edmonton. I find that commute quite long enough!

I did it 3 times a week to attend U of A, and then drove out to where I worked two days a week. That was my biggest driving semester.

I attended U of A for my last four semesters of my B-Ed.
    My first semester, I drove up on Monday, stayed in a hostel on Monday night for the first few weeks but that was awful, so a friend said I could stay with them out in Leduc, then I drove home on Tuesday ... and then up and back on Thursday.
    The next semester, I found a room in Edmonton so I drove up on Monday morning and back on Friday afternoon.
    The next semester I drove in 3 days a week as mentioned above.
    And my last semester was fortunately only 5 weeks and then I had a practicum in Red Deer for the rest of the semester. For those 5 weeks, I rented a room again, only this time, I made a mistake and got a room in the house of a smoker. Blech!!!! I spent a lot of my evenings sitting in the nearby shopping centre's food court doing my homework till the place closed. And she must have wondered about her water bill ... she said I could use her washer and dryer, so I washed my sheets about every other night!

It is a long weekend for me, Thanksgiving here in Canada. I am doing the turkey dinner Sunday evening. With all of the schedules I have to work around it will be a late dinner, 7pm but it will be fun and I'll have Monday to recuperate.

Tracey, sore and tired, but feeling accomplished in Edmonton

Well done on the workout. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

I do miss Thanksgiving a bit ... we never did anything big, but it was nice. There is no Thanksgiving here in Australia. Maybe one year I should put on a Thanksgiving dinner ... and especially make pumpkin pie. :grin: Most people in Australia have not had pumpkin pie as a sweet thing!

2irqjv36ru70.png

Machka in Oz

A lot of driving for sure! I don’t do anything really big it is just my family here, but it will still be too much food and too much waste. I will be making pumpkin pies at some point today or tomorrow afternoon. Along with Apple and cherry. I try to please too many people! I personally don’t even eat pie.

Thanks for the wishes!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    Options
    Just skimming
    Sue in WA and Suebdew (((hugs)))
    Machka Brava for putting your foot down, making your own plan, and getting the main care organizations to agree. Brava! A pretty notebook and colorful pens for your "Journalist" ROTFLMAO!
    Karen in VA great videos!
    JanetR Sweet little Mia's pic gave me the Baby Shark earworm.

Time to get ready for field trip for the small woodland management class. Spitting a little rain but may clear by the time we get to the site. Been procrastinating on prepping house for friend's arrival TOMORROW. WOW really must get the ol' butt in gear.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 5/5, rx/vits 5/5, meditate 4/5, walk one more step 5/5, knee exercises 4/5, core 2/4, walk Tumble 1/4 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 4/5.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,712 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just about ready to leave from work pick up the pooch and go for a ride
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,747 Member
    Options
    2kgnmr8afkv4.jpg
    Haha!
    👍Rebecca💗

Awesome!