WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member

Barbara, the “chimney” in the sunset pic is a water tower that was built in the mid 1930’s for this park. Turns out tha Bottomless Lakes was the first park designated as a state park in New Mexico.

RV Rita
  • mcbcec
    mcbcec Posts: 12 Member
    Karen and Carol---Thanks so much for the scale recommendations. I will look into those.

Not sure why there was such a delayed reaction on a weight loss but the scale went down 5 lbs. today. YAY. I should know there is a delay from the body when eating habits change and it must adjust.

Do folks recommend weighing themselves every day or every 3 days or so? I think every week is too little, which is recommended by diet organizations, but that always set me up for scale anxiety.

I am an artist and adjunct art instructor. Teaching art is not completely sedentary, but making art can be. So I need to figure out a way to interrupt my time at the studio with exercise or plan to attend a class on studio days in the mornings. At issue is keeping some kind of regular schedules, as I also substitute teach which can be wildly erratic. This forum is helping me focus on ideas and ways to manage. So thank you all for being here.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Michele - You are so fortunate to have had good weather this Fall. We are still in a cold front that just doesn't seem to want to move on. I fear that there won't be any Fall weather at all this year.

Lisa - I love your philosophies. I enjoy your writing immensely.

Meg - 9 weeks is a lot to miss. Do you teach school, why the schedule change?

Janet - Listening without judging is a trait that too few possess. I too share my personal story to people that are struggling if it is something I have experienced. I hope your granddaughter gets the help she needs. It's terrible she has to be 3 hours from home though. That must make it hard on your children.

Karen - Your Grandson wrote well for someone that doesn't like it.

Allie - I would have had to forgive too. I hold onto anger if I don't and that is not healthy for me.

Terry - Stress and overeating has what led me to the 30 pound gain over the last few years. I am learning slowly that stress needs to be handled other ways. Journalling and walking have helped me.

Pat - How devastating for your family.

Carol - I too avoid the dentist! I really should see one though, but have been putting it off for years!

Heather - At least you have cute company while you wait to hear from the Solicitors.

mcbcec - I'm sorry, I forgot what name you are going by. I weigh daily and mark it on an excel sheet. I track averages though every 7 days, every 10 days and monthly. A lot of times the averages show me that I have lost much faster than the daily weight. I do this to keep myself in check.

Daylight Savings Time - I too wish we didn't have DST. Here in Alberta the government 2 years ago tried to abolish it and it caused great debate! I believe it should be abolished, but don't feel it should be something only one province does, it should be a National/International thing if it happens.

Today is my Best Friend's 50th birthday, I am sending her 50 Birthday memes throughout the day via text. I have already sent her a card and talked to her. This is just something to make her smile. She is home from work painting. LOL

I brought some craft paint to work with me to try to paint some snowmen faces today. Hopefully I can find time to do it.

Tracey in frosty Edmonton
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Allie - Sounds just mysterious enough to feel uneasy. I hope it doesn’t change badly, but instead resolved for the better. Hugs.

Shelly - we can easily fluctuate a pound or so even with the same routine. Sleep can even affect it. Certainly sodium intake, and even though we’re past the days, we still have hormones, and they can still change things - just not as dramatically as before

Elizabeth in GA - one small caution about the driver’s’ license weight - its the only thing first responders may have to figure dosage for meds.

Pat in OH - sorry about your DSIL. Cancer is ugly, and I hate it. I have seen rehab help even the very elderly and frail when I was recovering from hip surgery. But I do believe you should be able to opt out without penalty at a certain point in life.

Rebecca - there are far worse things than looking like a grandma! I’ve wanted silver hair since I was in my teens, and now I have a whole dramatic head full of it!

Lisa in Arkansas - “Sometimes you drive your life, and sometimes life drives you, no?” So very true! I find the horses of my life trade places SO often! I too remember only the good when thinking back. When folks ask me how I stay so centered in the midst of drama, I tell them it’s because I have a good “forgetter”.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Praying for the people on the Gulf Coast of Florida. And, as the storm sweeps through GA.

Carol in GA
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited October 2018
    Meg in soggy Omaha - somehow I’ve never thought of Nebraska as being particularly rainy. Is it leftovers from one of the hurricanes?

Karen in VA - such happy news!

Janetr OKC - There seem to be times when we must say "I'll be thinking of you, but I need to take a break right now." Or make an excuse to leave the conversation. Stress is unavoidable, but an overload is physically bad for us.

Karen in VA - Im impressed with your DGS's flair for the written word. I hope he DOES learn to enjoy writing. Passion is a huge part of it, of course, and I feel that in his essay. I could picture the car show and police chase!

Terry in VT - Im very concerned for both you and your husband. Has he been back to his Dr. lately? I know turning to food for comfort is so easy. Hopefully sharing here helps your stress a bit. Hugs!

Shelly - weighing is such an individual thing! Sometimes I weigh every day, sometimes a few days pass. When I weigh every day I don't notice the changes until I post them here - which I don't always remember.

Katla - I'm loving this week's forecast too! I hope sunshine gives me a bit more energy. My step count is way down. Sleeping a lot too, and I don't think it's depression.

I feeling very excited by my upcoming surgery. As my doctor says, however, Bariatric surgery isn't brain surgery, and we need to constantly pay attention to that coyote-like trickster that lives in our head. Mine tells me to forget about pre-planning my food. I pre-log veriiys foods for the day and see which fit my mood and parameters best on most days, then try to eat accordingly. I can't plan my dinner, though, because my kids bring that over to me nightly. I can't stand long enough to cook dinner most days and find shopping for one is terribly expensive and frustrating. So I donate to their food budget and dictate portion sizes.

I get all my food on a child's plate. I try for 1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 plate protein and 1/4 plate starch. Sometimes they fix something with noodles, and if the dinner portion is too large, I save some for breakfast. I try to eat slowly, and I've been told by my nutritionist to try not to drink with my meals or fir 1/2 hr. afterward to allow my body to feel satiated.

It's working. I've list 22+ pounds since July 20th. I'm delighted to start off lighter. Next appointment is Oct. 23rd, when I will hopefully get my surgery date pinned down.

Sharon in Seattle area
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited October 2018
    Heather love the pictures!

Sharon beautiful cats!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    B)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Janet, hugs my friend!💗. I know you are great here in understanding, but only give advice when asked, and seem to be a good listener. What your family doesn't seem to realize is how much being empathetic, takes on your own personal self care. Sometimes you have to step away, to regain your footing. You are a treasure!💗. Hugs
    Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    gfm4yp4sm8bd.jpg
    Sometimes bodies are awkward things! Haahaa!
    Just call this cat Grace! Not my cat, but cute none the less!
    Rebecca💗
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    SHARON: Love your Siamese cat! We had two for almost 15 yrs and they were both just the sweetest cats imaginable. After we lost them, I got a Siamese kitten from one of my students and it was as mean as could be. We had to give it back!

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Carol in GA: Joining you in prayers for those who are in the storm path. I hope for the best. My friend who lives in Florida is staying put. She does not live close to either coast. :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Seattle: Losing 22 pounds since July 20 seems like a lot of weight in a short time. I hope you stay heathy. I have also noticed the shorter days. Right now I’m grateful for a sunny day. :smiley:

Lanette: Great to see that you’re wearing sunglasses today. Good weather news! :wink:

Rebecca: I love your “How I Apologize to People” post. Thanks! :laugh:

DH had big plans to work on the RV today and is sleeping soundly in his chair. I’m not planning to wake him up. We can get to work on the RV any time. This evening I have another meeting, & this one is about horses. I’m not sure whether there will be a speaker this time. I hope so. The speakers I’ve seen so far were very interesting.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon