WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
    No gym workout all last week due to OT. Same thing next week . Haven't listed my stats but what I've been doing was the usual, ride to the gym, take a shower, ride to the train station, run 1/2mle to work, then run back to the train station, then ride home. One day I rode from work to the Doc in tacoma, 12miles for the chiropractor. Lower back a bit better.. last Sunday I ran 10mi, we will c what I do tomorrow
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did Classic Firm Low Impact Aerobics DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do the Caribbean Pilates plus Workout.

Janetr – a refresher course in CPR is always a good thing. I believe mine expires in Feb or March of next year. Last year a group of us Newcomers got certified. I will probably do the same thing again next year

Katla – I was reading in the paper today about how Facebook had something where it was hacked. I must be very boring to hackers. (I hope I’m not jinxing myself here). Fortunately, I haven’t been hacked. They were saying in the article that some of the things the hackers got off Facebook was phone numbers (not mine), email addresses (yup), birthdays (not mine), location (not mine), sites visited (I don’t know how I can have it so that no one can find out, but then again, it’s not like I’m following very many sites and the ones I am are like TSO, ceramics, and maybe fitness – I’m sure they’ll get a lot there) But if I ever was to put something on there that I was someplace other than home, I think Vince would kill me. On another note: our local hospital offers first aid classes along with CPR classes. When are you leaving for your adventure?

Aldi’s had butternut, spaghetti, and acorn squashes on sale. You really can’t freeze spaghetti squash but I roasted a butternut squash last night and I’m roasting another right now. I think I have one more to roast since they can be frozen. To be honest, I really don’t know what to do with an acorn squash. Can you freeze it? How do you prepare it?

Oh boo hoo hoo hoo…we closed up the pool yesterday. The temps are in the 70’s and high 60’s with the lows in the 50’s. Fortunately, all the ceramics, umbrellas, and furniture were already in.

A while ago I donated a lot of things to the Salvation Army. I put things in this suitcase that had a broken wheel so I didn’t want it back but I thought it was good to just put things in it. I told the gal that it had a broken wheel but when I went there yesterday, I found it for $10.99. It’s broken! If I see the gal I know, I’ll mention it to her.

Lisa – your knee is STILL bothering you???? I had hoped it wasn’t by now. Wish there was something I could do. Is this the knee that you’re going to have the surgery on?

Barbie – hope Jake is better real soon

Machka – I never thought about the differences in what is covered strongly in a first aid class in different parts of the world. Makes total sense.

Roasting a spaghetti squash right now. Have butternut squash in the freezer. As soon as that comes out, I have another butternut squash to roast. I just want to get them in the freezer before they go bad. Well, I’m roasting another spaghetti squash right now since I like it so much that it really doesn’t last real long. Still have one more in my pantry that I’m not going to roast right now.

Denise just called. One thing she said was she asked Maria if she was having Thanksgiving there and could she invite us. Maria said “sure”. I’m just afraid we’re being asked only because Denise asked Maria to ask us, not because Maria wants us. Vince agrees, I’m not sure what we’re going to do.

Barbara – I’m sure this glitter repaint will do OK in the wash. I haven’t washed this one, but I have used fabric paint on other shirts and they did fine in the wash.

When I went to the Green Room Thursday, I first stopped to see Lynette. She is going to have an open house on December 13 and she asked if I would bake something. I just can’t say “no”. But, really, an open house for an accounting business? I’ll make a few different things, maybe I’ll save some of them (like cookies) for my Christmas. If I give her 3 or 4 different things, then I can have 3 or 4 different things.

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Big storms today and more expected tomorrow and Monday. I made chicken and dumplings and potato soup. Lots of good stuff in thefreezer.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend
    Suebdew in TX
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Help, I seem to have lost my motivation! I lost about 30 lbs in the spring - set my sights on a new dress for a wedding and managed to get into it! Since then I just cant seem to get back to my good habits. Everyday I say tomorrow I will start counting calories again and then dont! I am going to say it again - tomorrow I will begin anew! Any words of advice will be much appreciated! I had 25 lbs to lose but I am not up to 30 to lose!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Sunday -- another beautiful day!

We went for a ride around a very quiet neighbourhood ...

Distance: 12.83 km
    Elevation: 77 m
    Moving Time: 50:01
    Elapsed Time: 50:16
    Speed: Avg: 15.4 km/h | Max 27.4 km/h

And I went for a run!

Distance: 3.47 km
    Elevation: 38 m
    Moving Time: 25:38
    Elapsed Time: 25:57
    Pace: 7:23/km

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I am up and dressed having my tea.... still dark out, and very chilly in the low 30s.I brought the plants in yesterday and wow have they gotten big over the summer,suprised I was able to keep them going as I dont really have a green thumb, they were the plants from my dads funeral so a nice keepsake..
    today my friends have a breast cancer awareness party and have raffles ,food and stuff, so will probably go to that with my friend Trudy,,,my dear friend Laurie is a breast cancer survivor who is my age, and lost her husband to a motorcycle accident a few years ago...but she is a trooper... going to take my 2 chairs and table and put it in storage for the winter.. I have my little storage place stuffed
    that decluttering book so far is spot on ,boy my mom could have used that book so we wouldn't have had so much to unload, I look around here and even though I have a small place, my closets could use a bit of a purge....clothes etc.. so that will be a project for the colder weather,,,
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you Lisa. <3 Exciting times.

Glad the book is helpful Allie. I found it the best decluttering book I have read and I've read LOADS. But you do have to DO it. :D I will tackle another kitchen drawer this afternoon.

DH must have been in pain with his back yesterday as he took painkillers. That never happens. I think he's a bit better today.

I did some writing this morning. Remembering my grandparents. :)<3

Recumbent bike after lunch. Rainy outside.

Guinea fowl with lentils for dinner. With green beans. Yummo.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Thinking about you, too, Heather! Hope Monday brings better news, fewer stresses with your own upcoming successful transaction. :wink:

Husband's up absorbing coffee, and need to get a box or two packed. Every box, bag, piece of clothing and small piece of furniture we get out there now is one fewer I have to sling in the truck starting Wednesday... The thought is that everything except the fridge, washer, dryer, and the bigger furniture I can take out there without the trailer, just pickup loads of stuff going out starting Wednesday. I can bring Johnny back to help with the heavier boxes. Then son and husband can take the trailer and get the big stuff on Saturday. And possibly Sunday. :smiley:

So... next Sunday, I hope to be waking up in the mountain house! I'm still off on vacation on the Monday/Tuesday following, so can do the final cleanup on the rent house and let the management company start leasing it starting Wednesday. Fingers crossed they can find someone who will take it over, but we're prepared to deal with it, even if they don't. Plus we already have someone taking care of the yard.

Box packing time!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    lacatgirl wrote: »
    Help, I seem to have lost my motivation! I lost about 30 lbs in the spring - set my sights on a new dress for a wedding and managed to get into it! Since then I just cant seem to get back to my good habits. Everyday I say tomorrow I will start counting calories again and then dont! I am going to say it again - tomorrow I will begin anew! Any words of advice will be much appreciated! I had 25 lbs to lose but I am not up to 30 to lose!
    I found just logging and nothing else got me going again. Ending the day and it saying “in 5 weeks” you will weigh more than I did that day soon changed my eating habits.

Then I became active on the success stories and motivation and support message boards and have found great support there.

I mostly walk for exercise.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Done my drawer! :D:D:D
    Put in the bag for the charity shop, one meat hammer/tenderizer, one corkscrew in the shape of a fish, one spare pair of poultry shears, :o etc and threw away lots of old junk, including a spare sugar thermometer that doesn't work and one of those plastic egg things that tells you how soft your egg is . Did I ever say I love decluttering? :laugh: I'm feeling guilty about keeping lots of fancy cocktail sticks which I bought when I was going through a canapés faze. Oh well, nobody's perfect. And I have too many skewers. >:) At least they are now in bundles with elastic bands round them.
    Going to check on my guinea fowl in a minute. I've done it in the IP for the first time.
    In fact, now I've thought about it I'm going to get rid of the short skewers. o:):D
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are getting ready to go for a short trip. I'll post when I can.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Been on the road since 7:20 AM. Going south instead of West because it's actually snowing all the way on interstate 80 to Denver. And the temperature that direction is below 30° for a high today. We decided to go south to Amarillo! Hoping it will be much warmer and Sunny that direction!

<3
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday, we are getting our first snow and it is coming down so pretty. I am working today, DH called me after he got home from bringing me to work to tell me the altanator on the van went out. So he is planning on replacing that today. I am so glad he can fix most problems with the van. But still that part is not cheap. God is in control. After several weeks of stress eating out of control, Today is a new day and going to be a good day food wise. Have my food logged up until supper.

Janetr--Your DD being able to help with CPR is great. You have every right to brag and be so proud. Sorry about the late night message. Some people just do not think things through. A couple days ago DH tells me he got a message on FB from a friend of ours that passed away several years ago. One of her step children keep using her account.

Rebecca--Hugs. Glad that you got the call and had a good visit.

Rye--So Cute

Rori--Hugs, so sorry about the job deal.

Barbie--Pray Jake is feeling better soon. So much crud going around already this year.

Tracey--If you call the home where your mom is at would they take a phone to her so you could talk to her? Most places I know do that if the person doesn't have a phone for some reason.

I am really tired today and so looking forward to having tomorrow off. I plan to sleep until I can not sleep anymore. Been a long couple weeks. Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • LindsayGii
    LindsayGii Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great comments....

Heather you are right. In fact I may be moving on after this year. No point living somewhere depressing. Although I hear Saudi is worse!

Karen thanks and yes... knowing I was going to check in helped

Mcbcec.. wise words on the quality not quantity. My mum likes to point out that fish and chips always smell better than they taste, I feel the same about donuts. Look tasty, actually disappointing. I suppose I just forgot.

Pat and Kim talking about keeping hunger at bay... I found making pots of Greek yoghurt (10% fat but high in protein) with oats and berries (or any fruit cut up) is surprisingly filling and keeps you going for ages. I make three or four small screw top jars full at a time and they can live in the fridge for days. The whole thing only adds up to maybe 150 calories but feels like much more.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

LACatGirl, It's advice, and you're getting it for free, but here are a couple of things that might help. You might stop saying "tomorrow" and start saying "now." Tomorrow, Monday, whatever, it never comes. Now is now, and it's easy to start logging your food in MFP right now. Do that every day, everything you eat, for at least one week. Don't think about losing all that weight. Just log your food calories. Get in that habit. Then start looking at what you're eating, and what you can change about that. One at a time, start eating healthier foods with fewer calories . Start exercising today. Not tomorrow, not Monday. Just get up and exercise. Five minutes is fine! Then all you have to do is do one minute more the next time you exercise. If you can stop the all or nothing thinking that we all are prone to - the "well, I ate that piece of candy, so my diet's broken, so I might as well eat everything," thinking - and just think about right now and make the best choices you can, you'll go a long way toward changing the gains into losses, and start getting healthier.

Lisa, thanks for the reminder! Just what I needed to hear!

Haven't been posting on here much lately, been keeping up on the reading, but just can't string enough words together to form a coherent posting, so didn't want to post a bunch of babble. Definitely having issues with eating, I have no problem getting to the gym and doing a good workout, but food, well food is an issue. Sigh. Trying not to bring the trigger foods into the house (mostly chocolate), but hubby does like the stuff. I try to buy stuff that he likes that I'm not all that excited about. Some days it works better than others. Tried cutting out all refined sugar, that lasted a few weeks, then a few days ago had a major sugar overload too close to bedtime. It's really not fun lying in bed listening to the sugar race around your bloodstream.... That has made me be better aware, for now anyway. We will see how long that lasts!

Work calls, so must go. Hugs to those who need them, please know I am thinking of every one of you when I'm reading of yours and your family's issues, wishing I could do more. Congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island