WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    lanette <3<3 sending you hugs and put down that candy!!
    Smart to only have one bag and make it the kind you’d be happy to give away.

No Halloween trick or treaters for us this year so I won’t even have the temptation in the house.

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited October 2018
    lhscapil wrote: »

Lisa
    - I got a kick out of that photo of you standing at that counter. It would just reach to my hip socket. You are a little dynamo. :) Enjoyed your blog this morning.... so much great progress on your new house.

Lanette - funny you'd say that, I don't think of myself as "small" until I'm about this weight (under 180). It's like the bigger arounder I am, the taller I feel. It only works that way when I'm sitting down, however! I've just recently had to move the seat up on the car another notch, as my butt's not pushing me quite far enough forward to reach the pedals! :smiley:

And as far as the house, lordie, the house is sooooo close to being move-innable. In fact, just figured out this morning that I'm in a "use-it-or-lose-it" situation for taking vacation days, so I'm taking a week off starting next Wednesday. It's pre-supposing they'll get that plumbing done on the shower, but honestly, at this point, I'm willing to drive a half hour to the rent house and shower every night, just to be finally done with it. So Johnny and I WILL start moving us, not this Wednesday, but the Wednesday after.
    Forgot to say, our buyers have had their mortgage approved. :) One step further forward, though I refuse to count my chickens. Of course our solicitor is on his annual leave so we let the practice know that they needed to sort out a substitute asap. They found one who will do the pre exchange scrutiny.
    We are off tomorrow to Hove for babysitting, so they will have to phone our mobiles. It will keep our minds off.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

OMG, Heather! I know there are so many things that can still slip, but it feels more real every time you comment on the latest step. I'd have my fingernails gnawed down to the knuckles.

The one thing I keep forgetting to put in the blog is the pic of the bathroom door. Few people look BEHIND the bathroom door when they inspect a house for buying, and we were no exception, so the first time I did I got quite a shock:

xkx0o6e51pj8.jpg

There was also actually a latch on the OUTside of the bathroom door when we bought the house, which I removed immediately. The only thing we can surmise is that they locked a rather large dog into the bathroom while they were gone at some point. I'm just HOPING it was a dog and not a child. Either way, that's one door we'll be replacing, and one thing I refuse to think about because it makes me ill either way. People can be subhuman on occasion.

Back to work I go, no word yet on the drama from last week. I know it's just too much to ask for, that it will just go away, but hey, a girl can always hope, right?

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    Ppp
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    edited October 2018
    Lisa I have no words for that bathroom door!

Mary any progress on the assessment?

I enjoyed last weeks house tour so much I went on another yesterday in the town of Stillwater. This were homes from the late 1800's to 1920's. They were a visual treat too.

The first on the tour was the home were the warden's of Stillwater prison lived. It is a Museum today. It was filled with a variety of antiques.

The second on the tour was a lottery dream home. The views were stunning. Although I don't think I would like seven bathrooms to clean. Today it is rented out for weddings. Although if I had enough money to buy that home I would think I would have enough money to hire someone to clean it.

There were two Bed and Breakfasts. Both were decorated in a Victorian Style. Charming!

One of my favorites on the tour was the home where you walked in and you thought you had entered the Arabian Nights. They had their old ballroom furnished in Persian and Indian furniture. The had an six foot tall Indian elephant and a large statue of three deities. When they redid their kitchen they used the tile that had been used around an old pool that was once on the property.It was a mix of this cerulean blue and then a mosaic tile. Loved it! The new pool was in a separate building from the home. Fun to see how the 2 % live.

Another home reminded me of my sister's home. My sister lived in a home built in the 1920's. I can't pinpoint what it was about the home that made me feel this way. I think it was the layout of the living room which was the first room you walked into. It felt homey.

Another home that was fun to see was one that was in Gothic Victorian. There were humorous touches everywhere. They had a bottle opener that was a skull. In the living room they had an antique coffin. The colors were dark greens and blacks. Fun to visit. I would find it hard to live there. There were numerous taxidermy animals throughout including a raven.

One of the oldest homes is being turned into a brewery. It was fun to talk to the owner because he knew my neighbor who is going into the brewery business. He actually was doing a batch of his beer because they are having trouble keeping up with demand. He agreed with me that I think my neighbor has a good chance at success because he and his partners are the first Hmong brewers in the nation.

I am tired today. Stillwater is a very hilly town and I did get a workout!

:heart: Margaret

• coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    dhx36zwcrwwf.jpg
    Catattitude!
    Rebecca 💗
  • pipcd34
    stat for the day:

initially, was going to run for 2hrs, then I started and thought, I'll do 10mi or 2hrs, whatever comes 1st, luckily, 10mi came 1st

treadmill jog- 98.09min, 144ahr, 160mhr, 5.7-7.2sp, 9.48min mi, 10mi= 1036c
    Apple Watch = 1145c

total cal 1036
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbie: The dark months have always been hard for me, but I’m making some gains with the use of daylight temperature lights everywhere in my home—and in the RV, plus physical activity such as yoga and horseback riding, and well-chosen food in appropriate portions. :smiley:

Shelly & Heather: I’m about 2 months older than Heather. I also log every bite and swallow, every day. It works. In the beginning I bought measuring scoops, aka dishers, and a food scale. I still use both frequently, but not always. I’ve done a fair job of learning what a portion should look like. I go to the gym two to three times a week for yoga. While I’m there, I also use the exercise bicycles in the machine room. I’ve made loads of friends there—mornings are filled with people in my age group and young moms. I avoid jogging or activities that pound my knees due to an over use injury years ago. I ride horses for fun, although I don’t own one. I ride a friend’s horse. :smiley:

Lanette: I hope your DH’s ultrasounds done at the vascular surgeon’s provide helpful information that is not too scary. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Congrats on your buyer’s mortgage approval!!!! That is a big step in the right direction. :heart:

I had a good time at yoga today and managed to be there at the same time as a woman that I really like but haven’t seen in months. We will be going out to the storage unit to work on the RV bathroom this afternoon. DH is building a raised floor for the area in front of the toilet. The toiled itself is on a pedestal that elevates it about a foot. We don’t like having our feet dangle. We both outgrew that stage back in childhood. :noway: :laugh: :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • mcbcec
    mcbcec Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2018
    Dear Heather, Thank you for this inspiring note! Sharing your experience with me is very helpful. I have gained so much weight and I think it is from trying plans that someone else in control of. This approach seems healthier and the posts here are helpful.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Sharon in the Seattle area: I go by Katla, not Kayla. It is a combination of my first name and last name. … Katla in Halloweentown

Sorry, Katla. Blame spell check. I knew the correct way, but missed the change.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member

Hi Gals,

Good news the particular fire that blanketed me in smoke is out. However it is extremely dry and still in red flag warnings…I am pretty attuned to the environment, and it’s fire weather – drier and windy than it should be.

Mcbcec - welcome – a couple of thoughts – that I think many of us would agree with…. Log your food, and when you splurge own it, log it, learn from it and accept that it was just one _____ (snack, meal, day) and don’t let that derail you. You are human and splurging is part of this thing called life. And that there are emotional things that add to/started/provoke some of our bad eating habits, and part of this process is facing those as well – the emotional part is what keeps me visiting this forum as often as I can, they will cheer me on, give me the occasional kick in the behind, cry with me… just be the support that for me is not here in my town.

Lisa – in my mind I am surrounding you in ice cubes to help you keep you as a cooler head! I always say I love drama, but only when I BUY the ticket.

Heather – one more item checked off to the big event…. I was thinking though you have continued to de-clutter through all of this, which is good always!, but in this case will make every part of the move simpler.

Barbie – so glad to hear the walking and dancing is back in your life…

To everyone else – Happy Monday

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • trucker743
    Katla - hope the riding lessons pan out. I understand it's great core exercise.

Barbiecat - I think I have you beat in the utter laziness Dept. I slept a total of over 14 hours yesterday, and have no idea why!

Kim from northern CA - I had no idea those fires were still going on! It's totally dropped off the news. I know so many areas have totally used up their budget for firefighting. Sounds like your brave firefighters are still at it, come what may. I hope things improve soon.

Mcbcec - Welcome! We're a friendly bunch and have great tips to share. Mine would be that most of us get 'way too little protein. Eggs have now been determined not to add to your cholesterol problems if any. Try eating a hard boiled egg, string cheese, low or nonfat cottage cheese, a few bites of chicken, tuna or salmon when hunger hits. And log everything that goes in your mouth. I've found almost everything in the MFP food lists, including all my meds. I'm 75, and due to carrying around over 120 excess pounds for years, I don't think I'm going to come back as far as a 10 k. I'll settle for a 5k stroll, though.

Lisa in Arkansas - it's a tough position to be in. Good for you for being careful.

Karen in VA - Good for your grandson! He picked a fish with character, not just good looks!

Grandmallie - bless you for giving that dear old man tender care when he's unaware, at least on the surface. Hopefully the rest of his journey will be gentle. I know you may find it hard to do self-care as well right now, but please do!

Barbie in the drizzle - we've had enough of it here that my cane too tends to sink in the gravel if I'm not careful. Enjoy your bulbs!

Shelly in DC - I just go to the bottom of the page and start typing my reply. If it goes on past that page, I copy the reply, paste at the bottom of the next page and continue.

Lisa in TN - So glad family has joined the parade.

Okie - you look great!

Lanette - one HUGE advantage to being single! I control what food comes into my home 100%. No one to think of but me.

Heather in UK - Happy dance!
  • trucker743
    Rebecca, your kitties are adorable. One of mine is a Siamese, so I understand cattitude, lol! The other little one is a head butt, purr, please won't you love me gal - 97 timed a day, and no matter what I'm doing! I live her to pieces, BUT!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    NY Karen love the pictures. Thanks for sharing!
  • pipcd34
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Did 5 min hula hoop, held my plank for 3 minutes, then took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jane Fonda Firm and Burn DVD. This is a new one, I don’t know if I’m going to like it or not. If worse comes to worse, I can always donate it.

Katie – good for you! Consistency is key

Bowling, ceramics and then mahjongg tonight.

Mcbcec – welcome! It’s been the same way with me, now that I’m older, the weight goes on so very fast and comes off so very very slowly. But it does come off. I don’t jog or walk fast regularly, but I know that there are ladies on here who do. Which reminds me, Lisa, are you still running? You haven’t mentioned it in a while, but that doesn’t mean that you’re not still doing it.

M – no, I’m not an evening person. I meant that I’m not looking forward to Standard Time. I’m the person who gets up at 6 in the morning but gets to bed at 10. Vince is the person who gets up at 10 (well, usually earlier) but many times doesn’t get to bed until at least 11, sometimes later. I love DST. I wish we’d stay on it all the time.

Michele in DC – when I was little, my relatives in northern PA used to call me Shelly! I keep a Word document open and jot responses there. Then I just copy and paste it. Everyone has their own way that works for them, I’m sure you’ll find what works for you

Heather – keeping fingers crossed for you.

Finished my turtle at ceramics, didn’t get it fired but brought it home. The reason I didn’t fire it is because you are supposed to put something in his hand (there’s a hole for it) and I want to put one of those solar flowers. I remember seeing them at WalMart. Well, I looked on Amazon and the flowers are something like $25. No way am I going to pay that much! Vince thinks the opening for the flower is not big enough, I think it is. But on the outside chance that it isn’t, it’ll be easier to enlarge while it is still in bisq so I’ll wait. I can’t remember if I posted a pic of my crab or not, so I’ll post it again. I’m working on a parrot right now.

Rye – congratulations on the car, etc!

Michele in NC

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Rye! Welcome to freedom of the roads, my dear. You are such a brave person, and I'm so pleased for you! It made me realize how much I take that for granted, and have for so long now. Well done, you!

Lisa in AR