WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    mcbec - Welcome to a great group of Ladies! You will find lots of us are willing to offer advice and even more importantly, support. What I found most helpful was using a food scale and weighing and logging every bite, sip and swallow so that I knew exactly what I was eating. I ate whatever I wanted while losing, I was honest on what I logged and I got results. Sometimes I would be doing everything "right" and not lose for 2-3 weeks. Keep with it, if you are being honest about logging everything you consume and staying within your calories, it will work. Sometimes you will stall for a bit, but then you will get that wonderful whoosh of lbs leaving. Come back often, we are a chatty bunch.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3 Out to walk on this wet day. Love the smells. Wishing everyone well today.

Barbie, I like what you wrote about decluttering. I began several years ago to get rid of things I don't use, but I have a ways to go.
    Okie, I needed to read what you wrote about being honest about logging every bite and sip. I have a hard time with that and I'm sure that's why I've hit a plateau.

Betsy in wet NW WA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) Because I live so far north, there are several months of short daylight and several months of very long daylight. I do a lot of walking in the dark and find it peaceful. I love the change of the seasons and having such dramatic differences throughout the year. I would prefer a system of static time. It is jarring to have to change the clocks. It's not so bad now that I have classes only a few days a week, but when I was working, it was difficult to adjust to the time change. It was a jet lag of sorts,

:) I am grateful for the drizzly day so I can wait to plant my new bulbs. I'll start planting as soon as there is a day with no drizzle. The drizzle will make the ground easier to dig.

<3 Barbie
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: I want the Halloween fun size salad for lunch. I wonder where to get it. :bigsmile:

Karen: I LOVE Cousin It!!! I hope you are able to stocckpile all the crocs you will need. :star:

Machka & Michelle: I wonder about the care organization that suggested “kidstuff” for an adult, too. They seem to be living on their own little planet. It is clear they didn’t know anything about your DH and what he loves to do. :noway:

Allie: Barbie has great advice for your worries, “Don’t manufacture trouble for yourself.” Regarding guideposts-if you enjoy it, get yourself a subscription. If it is clutter, think fond thoughts of your dad and do something else. :heart:

Machka: Love the Apple Blossoms. It will be months into next year before we see any. :star:

NYKaren: Your DH's Aunt reminds me of my DSIL, who will be 80 next month. She does all her home maintenance herself—including going up on the second story to check and/or repair her roof. I hope to grow up to be like her. I’ll need to learn carpentry skills to achieve that goal. :bigsmile:

Heather: We live in Halloweentown. The original movie was filmed here and our town has a great time celebrating every year. Yesterday was the parade. Local businesses will be looking forward to a surge in shoppers form other places. World-wide, many people decorate the outsides of their homes for Christmas. Here, we also decorate them for Halloween. I don’t have my scarecrow up yet, but it is on the to-do list. :devil:

I have a riding lesson this afternoon and am looking forward to it. I’ll be taking the photos of my friend riding Arrow in the Halloween parade.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

My daughter would love visiting your town. She is a huge Halloween fan, doesn’t do much for Christmas at all. LOL
  • mcbcec
    mcbcec Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks everyone for the welcome and sound advice. Really appreciate the welcome and the suggestions. My name is Michèle also, but if it's easier and less confusing with other Michele my nickname is Shelly. I live in stress-filled, Washington, DC and am one of the few native Washingtonians in existence. ;-). I've lived in AZ, MD, NH, NYC and travelled extensively. I am still a tad confused about how to directly respond to someone's post. Do we just type their name under "Post Reply" or click on their image box and reply? When I did this it looked like it would be a private email wouldn't be necessary.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Rebecca: Thanks for the photos from Halloween Town. Your little boys are now men. Wow! :smiley:

Barbie: You seem to be enjoying life. Nothing could be better. :star:

mcbcec: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Stop by often for encouragement & support. Best advice: Log every bite and swallow, and move more. Many of us are walkers. Others ride bikes. I take yoga classes and ride horses. The best exercise is the one that you like well enough to do several times a week. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I also love DST. Standard time is a fact of life in the winter. I loathe getting up in the dark and finishing the day in the dark, too. I’d rather have daylight time year around. Daylight time ends November 4th here. :grumble:

(((Lisa))) Workplace drama is a misery. I hope things turn around soon. :star:

Betsy in NW Washington: It is wet here in NW Oregon, too. It seems like the rain clouds are all the way down to ground level. It is almost like fog, but not quite the same. :ohwell:

Barbie: We have friends who iive in the San Juan Islands of NW WA. They are a bit farther north than you. They have become snowbirds in the past few years and take their RV off adventuring in the south western US. I had hoped to travel with them for a little while, but haven’t heard any news about their plans lately.

I had a riding lesson yesterday and have been given “homework.” My teacher wants me to ride using my bareback pad for the next while. I need to improve my balance without stirrups.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    mcbcec wrote: »
    . I am still a tad confused about how to directly respond to someone's post. Do we just type their name under "Post Reply" or click on their image box and reply? When I did this it looked like it would be a private email wouldn't be necessary.

:)Shelly, One way to respond directly to someone's post is to click on "Quote" at the bottom of that person's post. You can delete all but the part you're responding to or leave the whole thing, then write your response below it. Or if you want to comment to what several people have said, you can put their name at the beginning and then write the response after it, so they know it is meant for them. Sometimes sending a private message is a good idea (I've used that to send someone my personal address or e mail or to say something that seems too personal to want everyone to read it).
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    morning peeps and welcome new ones.

no work today, gonna go run a couple of hours 2c how far I get. my back has been killing me so I don't think as far as I would like, oh well.....
  • LeGypsyRov
    LeGypsyRov Posts: 36 Member
    Good morning! Or whatever it is where you are. Hope you are all well and happy.

Thank you, Langman22! Yes, it is overwhelming. Hey, VT? My youngest was born in Brattleboro!

Getting back into the swing of things today after cleaning out my garage last Friday. I got bit twice by a spider, which I'm allergic to, and consequently put me down for a couple of days.

Bouncing back with my strength training workout this week and splitting my upper and lower body weight training now. Today - upper body and core. Plus some cardio, which will probably be either kickboxing or dance (latin, zumba, or belly). I also want to get back into Tai Chi today.

I'm streamlining my eating habits (note, I don't say diet) more. I find I'm not getting enough calories according to the log. Not sure what I think about that.

The family is coming on board with working out, and of their own accord! My hub was hurt in a work accident in June when a 600 lb log splitter fell on him. He was fortunate that only his ankle received a minor break, but he's still out on Workers Comp. One more week, perhaps, and he'll be back to work. He's been seeing a physical therapist for his lower body work, and has been joining me on upper body, win win! My 15 yr old daughter has decided she needs to be in better shape and has been doing some calisthenics and walking. I think the dance in the musical she's in in her theater group has prompted this, but she's stuck with it for over a week now.

Tracey, I'm liking that card bit you talked about. I may have to try that!

Y'all have a great day/night!

Lisa in TN
  • barbiecat
    edited October 2018
    :)Lisa in TN, when I started on MFP, I had no trouble keeping my weighed and measured food between 1100 and 1200 calories a day until I started to dramatically increase my exercise. One day I came home from a long walk feeling almost faint and dizzy and had an unplanned snack and immediately felt much better. That's when I decided to plan my daily food based on how active I was. I've done that ever since. That was in 2009 when I was 62 years old and I have continued that practice ever since. During the times that I was recovering from back surgery in 2016 and a serious back injury recently, I had to be extra careful to keep the food calories low because my activity was almost non-existent. Now that I'm walking more, I can eat more.

:)Katla, I know that the dark months are hard for you, but for me they are a fun change. Many of my line dance friends are snow birds and head to Arizona, California, or Florida in October and come back in April or May.

<3 Barbie
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited October 2018
    Yep Katla, I am done molding them, its up to them now.👍

So yesterday I cooked a roast with carrots, baby potatoes and an onion. It turned out wonderful, and we're having it again tonight.
    lqver82rm3sr.jpg

I made white rice to have with the baked chicken I made the day before. So today I will turn the plain rice into fried rice, and shred the chicken for it. I promised my eldest I would make him some oatmeal cookies, so heck I gotta do that today.....
    So... ...my world is food preparation it seems...... It seems that way!

No word from my youngest son. Still in hold awaiting Japan. But a call would be nice. I am not calling him because he is the one with schedules, with duty watches. We have told him he can call whenever. For me I have to give him time to miss me.

Have a great day y'all!
    Rebecca💗
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Shelly - I am now 69 and took up slow jogging this last January. I am VERY slow, but I enjoy it. I used the C25K app to get started. Now I listen to podcasts produced by the BBC called Soul Music. I also have a Running Playlist I compiled myself. I do 5k about 3 times a week. The other days I use my recumbent bike in the spare bedroom. I also do exercises with my husband every morning, except for Tuesdays when I go to a yoga group for oldies. :D I started slowly with all this and built up over eight or so years. I have a very dodgy knee, useless feet and ankles and arthritic hips, but I am pretty fit for my age now after all this effort. We have three machines which have paid for themselves many times over as there are no gym fees! I highly recommend at least a recumbent bike because you can pedal happily and watch a TV programme at the same time. NICE! Over the last 6 and a bit years I have lost 58 pounds and got fit. It can be done.
    I still log every day. Even though I have been at maintenance for nearly 5 years. If I didn't log I would put it all back. I love to eat. I eat back 600 of my exercise calories and leave 200-300 on the plate for a bonus. That keeps me steady with a glacially slow loss.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Okie Wowza! You look phenomenal! Cute photo idea, too.

Karen in Virginia