WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    "Sameness" really resonates. Sometimes I just don't feel like going out to (line dancing, T'ai Chi, dog group, church or whatever) but if I don't go I feel like cr@&, and if I do go I always feel better. Enjoy my adventures with friends, but have become a fearful old lady so no longer adventure by myself.

JanetR I need that rx! It made me smile ;)
    Rye take one Mocha Latte as needed for sinus pain.
    Tracey, "If cauliflower can become pizza" started my day off with a great laugh!
    Heather "if it were easy, everyone would be fit" true words!
    Sharon saying AMOC aloud to myself and laughing. Kindred spirits!
    PatC in OH Keeping the basics done sounds like a good way to cope with what you're going through. ((hugs))
    Michelle your story of Vince and the box of electronics reminded me of the time I put a full garbage can on top of the TV while the guys were watching football. At the commercial I heard one say "how did THAT get up there???"
    Karen in VA (((((hugs))))) (held an extra 6 seconds).
    Rori Love your description of Mars' hunting expeditions on leash. Stroll in botanic garden sounds exactly the antidote to husbands who are acting like poops.
    Lisa loved hearing about your great day. Printer prayers done.
    pip Smooch that pooch!

Time to get moving,
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 16/21, rx/vits 12.5/21, meditate 10/21, walk one more step 18/21, knee exercises 10/21, core 3/12, walk Tumble 2/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 13/21.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Machka I am not surprised about your hot flashes during your meeting. Those type of meetings are overwhelming for anyone. In those situations it is good to take breaks by saying you need to go use the bathroom or you need to go get a drink of water. Then you take your time doing so.

I have said it before when a loved one or you has endured a major illness, accident, death, or divorce it becomes a marathon for you not a sprint. I think that is why I am so interested in ways that help you take care of you. When you are under stress it is even more important to take care of yourself and not feel guilty when you say no to requests that create more stress for you.

For me I find I have more patience for the big things. It is the little things like having trouble getting computer access at the hotel I recently stayed at and having one of my blinkers give out during a recent trip to St. Louis. Those things I have less patience for. It is like the big things use up the patience.

This is where I remind myself to be kind to me. Think about the wonderful walk in the park where I witnessed the gleaming light filtering through the trees painting them in shades of spring greens, yellows, tinges of brown. Visiting my DBIL and surrounded in the glorious sounds of music produced by a classically trained pianist from Russia. She is retired and uses her gift to share her love of music at the various nursing homes throughout St. Louis. Chopin, Gershwin, Phantom of the Opera blanketed us in a musical embrace. I still hear chords of Both Sides Now playing in my head and bringing tears to my eyes as I think of my sister. It was her favorite song and was played at her memorial. Listening to a church choir singing For the Beauty of the Earth at my hometown church. Watching my great niece and nephew playing soccer on a perfect sunny fall day. Seeing milkweed growing at nature refugee so that the Monarchs will have a chance. These small moments remind what a blessing life is.

It is those moments that pull me forward and help me handle the chronic stress I have been under for the last several years.

That is why everyday I look for and make mental snapshots of those moments that touch my soul. Today I stopped and shared some of my snapshots with you. Have fun creating and sharing your own.

:heart:
    Margaret
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Lisa in AR - My friend made sure the cats had an outdoor safe place. Under the porch she built a sort of long den - long enough that they couldn’t be clawed out - with a small entrance, but big enough they could barrel into at full speed.

Good luck finding all your things for the business trip. We were still finding the occasional box from 1998 in 2006! Mostly Allan’s lesser sculptures and my yarn.

Heather - isn’t it wonderful how the simplest things, like your treasure box, come to have the most meaning.

Pip! What a delightful picture! It gave me a smile! If you want heat, southern CA is the right place. But for milder temps and still sunshine try the Salinas/Monterey/Seaside Area.

Machka - Yes! Pitbull is what we have to be sometimes. With my daughters’ needs then the first two divorced and were left with no income until they could find jobs (lousy exes!) and small children, and my husband and brother both suffered life changing events within two days of one another - and me the only caregiver for both. Pitbull it is! I’m turning that to good use on my behalf in my old age. Insurance companies! Be warned!!!

Sharon in Seattle, AHMOC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,908 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, you look awesome in your picture. I know that you are running and how hard you've worked to become a runner. Your husband is so intuitive to realize that you would treasure a picture of yourself running.
    Glad you liked the book the I suggested. I am reading it using the Kindle app on my phone. I checked it out of the library so it was really cheap for me. It is very inspiring.

• trucker743
    Options
    Barbie from chilly NW WA - shortness of breath is my issue now that I’ve had both knees and one hip replaced and 8 discs fused. My skeleton is a mess, lol! My heart and lungs are fine, they just have too much weight to lug around. Here’s hoping!
  • trucker743
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Lisa in AR - My friend made sure the cats had an outdoor safe place. Under the porch she built a sort of long den - long enough that they couldn’t be clawed out - with a small entrance, but big enough they could barrel into at full speed.

Good luck finding all your things for the business trip. We were still finding the occasional box from 1998 in 2006! Mostly Allan’s lesser sculptures and my yarn.

Heather - isn’t it wonderful how the simplest things, like your treasure box, come to have the most meaning.

Pip! What a delightful picture! It gave me a smile! If you want heat, southern CA is the right place. But for milder temps and still sunshine try the Salinas/Monterey/Seaside Area.

Machka - Yes! Pitbull is what we have to be sometimes. With my daughters’ needs then the first two divorced and were left with no income until they could find jobs (lousy exes!) and small children, and my husband and brother both suffered life changing events within two days of one another - and me the only caregiver for both. Pitbull it is! I’m turning that to good use on my behalf in my old age. Insurance companies! Be warned!!!

Snowflake! (I forget your other name!) I loved that song “Country Bumpkin”! Thanks for reminding me!

Rori, your cat sounds as spoiled as mine. I don’t take them out for walks, but my home is pretty spacious, and I have a couple of cat trees. They love chasing each other around and watching the birds and squirrels from the picture window in my lr and the whole sun/sleeping porch, which is acrylic. And yes, that’s my artificial Xmas tree. I keep the lights all year in the evening.

Margaret, I too have “snapshots”. It’s part of my life to take them out and treasure them.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    Options
    I've got an Amazon Pantry box coming tomorrow. I originally only started one because my favourite leave in conditioner only comes via Pantry. Grrrrrrrrrr! I ordered three, then had to get a few more things to make better use of the box and the delivery charge. I had the bright idea of ordering chocolate chip cookies and Wagon Wheels for the removal guys. :D I will need to have the kettle ready and not forget the sugar, which is something I never use. Must keep them fed and watered. And I mustn't forget the tip. :o:D

Margaret - What makes me happy? Decluttering! Taking stuff to the dump. :drinker: I do love an empty space and calm order. It soothes my brain.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Heather, "homestead" exemption is basically a protection against taxes. It's given only for your primary residence, and you cannot claim it anywhere else. You also can't take up primary residence elsewhere and expect to keep the protection. It's never for all of your property tax, but it can be a fairly significant portion, according to the value of your home.

It's a lot more complex than that, and different states have different things that apply, but in my experience, it's about the taxes you pay, and haven't run into the other benefits. Supposedly, it applies to the basic value of the house/land set by law (about $50,000 in Arkansas, near as I can figure), and the rest of the value is taxed at normal rates. It's supposed to keep widows/widowers from losing their homes to the taxman when the primary wage-earner dies, but since homes have gone far past that valuation in most parts of the country, it's not terribly effective in providing that protection.

Exemptions never keep up with inflation, in the end, it's just a bonus of being poor enough to only own one home!

I tried to find something similar in British tax law, and got lost somewhere around stamp duty tax, bumped into personal residence relief, and then my brains fell out. Y'all's tax laws are almost as arcane as your real estate exchange chain thingie!

Love,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janetr: I think you are doing a great job with your health. :star::star::star:

Rori: Many people have artificial Christmas trees. I have artificial lighted Halloween Pumpkins. There are three in graduating sizes, but I’ve only gotten out the two smaller ones this year. My living Christmas trees are Alberta Spruces and can tolerate being indoors for a few weeks. They’ll come inside in December and go back outside for the New Year. :wink:

Barbie: I think you are a very wise woman and have carved out a happy life for yourself. WTG!!!. :flowerforyou:

Heather: You are lucky. I envy the contact time you will have with your grandchildren. I get to see mine once or twice a year—if I’m lucky. I will enjoy your adventures. :smiley:

I went to yoga this morning and had a great class. I hope to be more consistent in the coming weeks. We’re planning to go out to the RV and sort some things out later today. There will be a little trading of storage containers--I’m taking one dry dogfood container out and bringing one back. I also need to take along some cleaner to get old glue off of our shower wall. I want it all setup for use on the next trip. Showering in park shower facilities safe but not ideal. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Phew! I have been really trying hard with my weight training! I do 100 lbs on the machine that strengthens your back. Its a crouching seat then you move the bar that's behind you, arching. It feels really good actually. I do 20 lb weights on muscle machines that target my arms. There's three of those. Then there curl type machines that target the backside of your arms. Then 50 lbs on a pull down machine, and 50 lbs on a front type pull machine like you are rowing. There is a leg machine that is a pad you put your feet on and push. I do 70 lbs on that, but I do it slowly, so my knees don't ache too much. Afterwards its 30 minutes on the treadmill. Its only 1.50 miles. I do between a 3.0- 3.5 mph. My heart rate runs 135-155 so I know I'm working my heart! Afterwards I spend 15 minutes in the sauna, (with a swag on so I don't offend anyone!). I take a cold shower, and that's my mornings Monday -thursdays.👍

Today youngest son is taking us out for pizza. Yummy! I will eat a snack an he before we go, so I won't eat more pizza than I should.

You all are doing well. I admire the lot of you!💗
    Rebecca

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Janetr - I had kind of a different take on the medicine bottle.... so many of them have a lot of "warnings" - stomach upset, ulcers, rash, heart problems..... a lot of scary stuff. To have results that are healthful... wouldn't that be a wonderful thing to read! Love your newest ornaments - are you going to have them in the store again this fall?

Heather - what a cute photo of you running - great setting! Crossing fingers you find someplace just as nice - near the beach perhaps.

Lisa - What a wonderful day you had! I am going to reread that post several times to soak up the joy! We have something here in WA State called "open space" - forestry or agriculture - that drastically reduces property tax if land - I think it's over 5 acres - is used for tree production (like Christmas trees) or farming. When we had the farm, our taxes including the house were next to nothing. What a big jump when we moved to surburbia!

Margaret
    - I love your post with the "be kind to me" memories and thoughts. Sometimes when I have the blues I force myself to think - "what has been GOOD about today?"

Barbara AHMOD - It's true... the less we go out, the less we want to go out it seems, but it's always worth it and energizing being around people we know and love and respect. We need new thoughts in our brains! And new ways to look at things.

Today I had a great lunch with my 2 GFs I met in Master Gardener class ten years ago. Lots going on in their lives but still have their senses of humor and they are so kind.... don't talk about themselves unless asked about something. INTJ/ENTJ's aren't always adept as social skills so I continue to learn from them. B) We meet up every month or six weeks and I haven't yet made up an excuse not to join them, lol. That's saying something!

It's a sunny, warmish afternoon. Leaves still falling. A few folks mowing.

Have a great evening ladies! :)B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I found this online: Hot and spicy foods, caffeinated beverages, and alcohol can trigger hot flashes. Learn to recognize your triggers and avoid them. Relax. Some women find relief from mild hot flashes through meditation; slow, deep breathing; or other stress-reducing techniques.Feb 10, 2018

Hot flashes - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hot-flashes/diagnosis.../drc-20352795

My main trigger is stress. Unfortunately, I can't avoid that this year.

I rarely eat hot and spicy food. I don't drink alcohol. And I've cut back on the caffeine. I have never smoked. I've dropped weight. I drink more water. And I dress in layers so I can start stripping off if I need to. Oh and at work, thankfully, I've got a little fan at my desk I can turn on.

I'm on Venlafaxine (Effexor XR, Pristiq) so I don't get many hot flashes, but they always seem to come the moment I'm in a high-pressure situation.

Even last night, as I was nearing the deadline for my assignment and doing the finishing touches ... yep, there it was! Fortunately I was able to turn down the heat in the room, drink water, and keep going.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Oops double post.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pat in OH: I am sorry to hear that your SIL is having health problems. :flowerforyou:

Janetr: Yes! I’d love to know of a medicine that “causes permanent weight loss, removes wrinkles and increases energy.” If you find it, let us all know. Until then, counting calories, yoga and horseback riding are woking wonders for me. :bigsmile:

Heather: You get to move at last!!!I hope that you and DH are happy in your new home. :heart:

Allie: Your newfound independence and freedom is wonderful and I enjoy reading your posts and knowing you are happy. :star: You are a blessing in your DFIL’s life. WTG!!! :heart:

Pip: I hope you have a grand adventure going to California after Nov 4. Post when you can! What route will you take? :flowerforyou:

Machka: I found this online: Hot and spicy foods, caffeinated beverages, and alcohol can trigger hot flashes. Learn to recognize your triggers and avoid them. Relax. Some women find relief from mild hot flashes through meditation; slow, deep breathing; or other stress-reducing techniques.Feb 10, 2018

Hot flashes - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hot-flashes/diagnosis.../drc-20352795

Yoga today, and do I ever need it! Almost everything aches, just a bit. Yoga will help. DH is planning to talk to our RV repair guy. Our trip revealed that the water heater is not working correctly. I’m not sure why, and neither does DH. Tony will know what to do.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

we will be flying int san Francisco and then make our way down to Gilroy and look up a motor home park that he found and make our way over the mountains towards my sisters home
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »

Snowflake! (I forget your other name!) I loved that song “Country Bumpkin”! Thanks for reminding me!

Rori, your cat sounds as spoiled as mine. I don’t take them out for walks, but my home is pretty spacious, and I have a couple of cat trees. They love chasing each other around and watching the birds and squirrels from the picture window in my lr and the whole sun/sleeping porch, which is acrylic. And yes, that’s my artificial Xmas tree. I keep the lights all year in the evening.

Margaret, I too have “snapshots”. It’s part of my life to take them out and treasure them.

I was born/raised in California, we won't be going to Southern California, I am from central California, the San Joaquin valley. I love triple digit weather. I will b in the Fresno area. the run we will be doing is in Fresno
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Did 5 minutes of hula hooping, held my plank for 3 minutes, took the extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a downloadable spinning workout.

Sharon – I remember my FIL saying “I don’t know where I found the time to work” and at that time I just thought “yea, right”. Now I know what he meant! I have to keep a calendar just to keep myself straight. Actually, Vince and I have a google calendar then the week before I look at it and put down on my calendar upcoming commitments. I still like my paper calendar, I like having someplace where I write down the exercise I plan to do the next day and what we’re going to have for dinner. It’s also helpful that I can glance at it during the day to see if there was something that I was supposed to do (like call someone). Oops! I need to mark down when I need to send the cards.

Lisa – in the home we had before this one, there was a cat door. It’s like a doggie door but smaller. Our cat could come in and go out as he wished. Unfortunately, he got hit by a car. I was a basket case since he was really my cat. But you might want to think about a door.

Barbie – we trim our cats nails. I bet you could do it, too. I hold the cat, Vince trims the nails. One thing we do do is we trim them on the deck so I don’t have to clean up nail clippings.

Janetr – to be honest, I have no idea what you’re referring to when you talk about a humorous post. I must have viewed it as humorous because I know you exercise, eat well, and have lost. Anyway, on another topic, beautiful ornaments as always.

Exercised, stopped at the Salvation Army, then Aldi, bought gas, bowling, tonight ceramics and then mahjongg. I’ll probably spend the night in Shadow’s room since I haven’t spent much time with her lately.

Lisa – wonderful things happening in your life!

Pip – best of luck to you on your run

Michele in NC