WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Beth glad to see you posting. The trip sounded like a lot of work but also fun for all. It's good that you and DH recognize your pattern after a long work day--you know they say that sitting on the couch watching tv is the new smoking--actually more dangerous!

DH and I have finally arrived at a point where we've gotten serious about including movement into our day, he now hits the gym with me 3 days a week. He used to eat a horrible fast food lunch every day. Luckily, he has found a little caribbean place near work and orders a cup of soup every day for lunch and that has been a much better choice, more importanly--no more soda for him. I can't tell you how relieved I am that he has stopped drinking the soda. It was always a sore point between us. Typical for a man, the minute he removed soda, he dropped belly fat. Anyway, now that he has joined me on this journey it feels a little less lonely.

Lisa your decor style "garage style rustic" made me laugh. Like you, we don't hang much on the walls, move-in minimalism is what we are. However, after 6 years in this house, we finally bought a living room rug and are quite pleased with the look, perhaps in another 6 years we'll get a coffee table! Anyway, your living room really does look warm and cozy.

A chilly, Autumnal Sunday ahead for me. I'm thinking baked apples would be a perfect treat later today.

NYKAREN

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I almost forgot! I just about spit my coffee out on my laptop the other morning, when you mentioned your menstrual cycle issues when you were taking the turmeric. This has been happening to me! I have had no period for a good year, then just last spring I began to have one. And not just a normal period, but a 7-9 day and heavy flow one (my normal was always 3-5 days and very light). THEN...no period for a day or two and another five days of heavy flow. Then nothing for a couple of months...and it would start all over again. I am going into the doc next week to have every thing rechecked (thyroid, too) now that I have been off the turmeric for a month (by then). If this has all been due to the turmeric, I will just be stunned. Hoping it is/was. Because not taking it, is an easy fix.

Maybe that's what it is for you!

I have had wonky periods in the past, and each time things go really wonky I've been tested and they've discovered polyps and pre-cancer. I've been for 2 surgeries for those things, so they check me every 6 months or so. I had just gone through the testing and came up clear.

And then, days later, my period started out of the blue at an odd time.

Given that I had just been given an "all clear", I didn't think it was a health thing ... and I thought it was odd that my very long period ended shortly after I stopped taking turmeric.

But I haven't tested the theory.

M in Oz

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • 1948Peachy
    edited October 2018
    Options

<3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Have short ribs in the slow cooker right now. The recipe calls for 4 lbs, but the slow cooker that I’m using can only hold two so I’ll do it in two batches. I probably should have gotten out the larger one. Right now I have an apple pie in the oven. I’m trying using aluminum foil and see how that works (the foil in a pie plate). I’d like to take one up to Maria’s but I need to try this first. I really don’t want to take up a pie plate because it’s just something that she’ll have to return. Of course, that’ll give her a reason to come down there, but I doubt she will. I did invite her for Christmas. We’re going to have our Christmas a week early, so she can come with Denise and Pete. Denise wants me to have anything written say “Peter”. Not sure exactly why.

Karen in VA – (((CRY))) My heart is breaking for you. It’s so hard.

Lisa – what an amazing job you did!

The other apple pie turned out to have too much juice in it, so I’m trying making another small one but this time not putting as many crumbs on top. Maybe that’ll help

Sue in WA – great news at the cardiologist

Vince said that we’ll probably put down grass seed tomorrow.

Sunday here: Did Be Fit Yoga Fix DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some hula hooping, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class.

Katla – welcome back!

Don’t know why, but I feel very tired right now. I had a good night’s sleep, so I really don’t know why.

Sharon – I remember WAAAYYYY back when when we had to have our Old English Sheepdog put down, I still remember them walking him out of the room where we were and taking him in the back. Yes, it IS a good thing thing’s have changed and you can now be with your pet. To this day I will swear on a stack of bibles that one of our cats who was sick that we had to have put down was looking at me as if to say “it’s OK”

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am up and having my second cup of tea...the boys have been walked ,ate and I went down and fed DFIL he starts to eat on his own then stops so I fed him the rest...he did pretty good this morning...
    Joyce Meyers message spoke to.me this morning..so I will relax with my second cup.of tea and read and enjoy the boys and the foliage and my old home....
  • 1948Peachy
    Options
    Michele: Why don't you bake the apple pie in a disposable tin pie pan? Maybe you feel tired because you are constantly busy and on the go.

Carol in GA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ladies!

Rebecca
    - I can feel your joy in those photos of you and your DS! And yes, he does look more mature. Have a wonderful time with him!! Get all the hugs you can!!! <3

Janetr
    - thank you for the info about pizza crust made with chicken. It's on the agenda for dinner tonight. It's been quite a week for new things, lol. First Fascinator and now Chicken Pizza Crust!

Heather
    - You'll miss your rural setting, but being closer to stores and interesting places to walk will be great and I think you'll settle in quickly.

Sue in WA - having critters and stalls to clean, feed to lug, hay to buck is such a good way to keep fit. I think that's what I miss the most about not being on the farm anymore.

Beth in Buffalo - missed you, glad you were able to take your son on a vacation, which I'm sure he enjoyed. Great to hear your DH is on board with getting back on board with a healthy lifestyle.

Karen in NY
    - your DH rocks getting healthier as well. What made him decide to change his diet and head to the gym with you?

Do any of you take MSM for joint/muscle pain? I have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow morning to see if my neck is out of whack - and a cause of my shoulder pain. The chiro is into nutritional supplements and I'll ask him.

More on memory loss.... I've noticed in my DH, if he's stressed or in pain, his memory isn't that good. And I've noticed the same about myself. Yesterday he was pain free and we started discussing various plants and bushes in our back yard. I couldn't even think of the common name of one of them (purple smoke) and he starts listing the botanical name of it and other plants, including spelling.

Thank you Sharon near Seattle - not being able to think of a name for "key" is nothing compared to not remembering what a key is used for. :s

My sympathies to all of you who are in the final throes of periods and getting on with menopause. So glad that's behind me.

Waiting for daylight to hit on this foggy morning so I can get some steps in.

Have a good Sunday ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Me too,,,,, so glad the menopause years are many years in the past. I have memories of sticking my head in the freezer at grocery stores. I thought I was losing it. :-)
    Betsy in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Beth - so happy for you that you had a good vacation with your elder son. It must have been a LOT of work, but it sounds as if it was worth it. :DB)

Had a good day so far. Did my exercises, did a bit of writing. o:) After lunch DH and I got our decluttering hats on and sorted the freezer plastic out. Now it takes up ONE shelf. :noway: Going to give away a large red stew pot. It's lovely, but surplus to requirements. I will ask my cleaner first.
    Then it was the turn of the utility drawers. Oh my! Heaps of old cutlery, old instruction books, nameless electrical stuff etc. We've sorted out what needs to be left for the incomers and taken the rest for a separate box file we started for all our instruction books together. They've been in different places. Cleared the lounge drawers and then I did 100 bonus calories on the recumbent bike while DH tackled his study. Phew!!!! He had all the stuff from the cabinet we got rid of to sort out. Making progress. :D

Cup of tea and a snack now. Knackered.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    Options
    heather nothing like a deadline to keep you decluttering! You’ve got this.

Lanette I wish I knew what “clicked” in his mind. When we returned from our So. Africa trip he just started changing his habits. We’ve talked about it some, he does have a goal weight in mind (lose about 10lbs) he’s never been a drinker or binge eater (like me :| ) but overall choices are fatty, sweet, salty, typical SAD with a fast food chaser!!

Saw a pic of myself posted at work (meet the teacher bulletin board). Yowza, my neck!!!! Wish I had worn a scarf for the pic. Ah well such is vanity.

Daughter met this majestic animal on safari yesterday—omg

NYKAREN
  • klanders30
    Options
    One more
    Omg!!!!!!!!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Heather and/or other ladies from the British Isles..... what exactly is a "tea" - not the just drink, but the meal? Is it an extra snack meal in the afternoon before late dinner?

I was watching reruns of Vera the other night and one of the detectives fell and hit his head, was kind of woozy and a child took him in and told Vera "I gave him his tea" rather than "I gave him some tea". Which made me think it was tea with snack included. I could be wrong. B)

The sun is up, but pea-soup chilly 45 degree fog. So I dug out a Lesley Sansone walking tape and got in 1200 steps in 15 minutes in the back room. Not as many steps if I'd have physically walked outside, but I am warmed up nonetheless.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    yo peeps

yesterday didn't workout, more OT at work, today breakfast in bed by master chef kirby, gonna go to the gym tomorrow more OT. no gym workout. so still doing the basics. glad that I ride and run without the gym workout still so at least I'm doing something.

then next week go to California for the 1/2 marathon. I really haven't done much training for it. one day I did do a 10mile run at least.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Lanette - You are right. Tea refers both to the drink and to 'afternoon tea' , which is a meal. It can be small or large. It could be a 'cream tea' with scones and clotted cream. It could be a 'high tea', as it was in my childhood, with something cooked, on toast maybe. If someone invited me to 'tea' I would expect sandwiches and cake. In Vera I would think it might be something cooked with bread and cake in the northern style. In my youth, in the south, in the 50s the high tea sufficed as a dinner, but these days it is usually a snack. People rarely go in for it much these days, unless they are on holiday. A cream tea is a holiday treat and is served at the best hotels. Sandwiches, scones, jam and cream, and cake. :D

Just had a lovely bath. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: Thanks for your welcome back. I was not able to access the internet while travelling because the parks where we stayed did not offer that service. My cellphone worked just fine, and I logged every bite and swallow. I was also able to access the MFP home page and comment there. :heart:

Lanette: When I’m stressed or in pain, my brain doesn’t work all that well, either. I suspect that may be true for most people. :ohwell:

NYKaren: I’m a sufferer of Seasonal Affective Disorder, SAD, and vitamin D3 has been a huge help. It has changed my life in the dark months and made life better. I take it every day. :bigsmile:

Barbie: Your 45 degree morning reminded me that we left our outdoor thermometer in the RV. I have other things to get there, too, and I’ll be heading out asap to get them. It is chilly and I’d rather stay home. :ohwell:

I have a riding lesson this afternoon. I’ll likely be dressing a bit warmer than recent rides. DSIL wanted us to continue RVing along with them, but I wanted to go to my lesson. DH was ready to come home, too.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA (((hugs))) words fail. (((hugs)))
    Machka safe travels. In addition to everything on your plate, you made time to organize and support the Audax riders? Girl, you amaze!
    Lisa "I'm home" Sweet sound. "Garage sale rustic" That's it! That's our style. Thank you! "b]Machka[/b] and [b]Rori[/b...given a seemingly impossible labor of love... both make me want to be a better person." Ditto and beautifully said.
    Allie that diagnosis was a sad shocker. Alfie and the boys need you to get healthy for them!
    Janet the black and cameo ornament is beautifully sophisticated. Bet it flies off the shelf!
    Sharon AHMOD=Ageing Hippie Mother of Dogs ;) Sorry to be so obscure.
    Beth good to hear from you!
    Heather naughty you, making DH sort through the stuff from the cabinet. That's how Joe declutters, puts stuff on the dining room table and expects me to find a place for it or get rid of it. Turn about is fair play. When I can't stand looking at something of his another moment, onto his workbench it goes!
    NYKaren that is a BIG lion.
    Lanette thank Goodness for Leslie Sansome.
    pip safe travels.
    Barbie great advice to Allie. Hooray for new winter coat!

Autumn and apples. Pastor and his wife own a cider press. Yesterday some from church whacked zillions of apples into fourths for the hopper while others cranked the chopper or turned the press. A 4 hour workout but only 1900 steps for the day. At one point a deer was attracted by the scent and watched the proceedings with great interest. After seeing what all goes into the hopper (culls, rot, mold, worms, bugs), I definitely double filtered and pasteurized the results. But OH so tasty! Joe won't even taste it, as it didn't come sealed from the grocery store, and this without seeing the source material ;). Got a dozen beautiful high grade apples for eating/cooking, thinking to make apple crisp with oatmeal topping, or a pie in a store bought crust. Also looking for that can of pumpkin way back in the pantry so I can make Barbie's spicy apple pumpkin soup. Then we'll know fall is really here!
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 16/20, rx/vits 12/20, meditate 10/20, walk one more step 18/20, knee exercises 10/20, core 3/12, walk Tumble 2/12 times, SWSY 0/6, hang up or purge art 0/0, AF 13/20.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LANETTE i love Leslie Sansone
    With regards to tea in UK here 'up north' when I was growing up we had breakfast, dinner and tea. Suppose now it's breakfast, lunch and dinner but we are old so I ask DH 'What shall we have for tea' confusing ain't it :D

Kate UK <3