Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you drink Diet Coke obsessively....You might be a runner. What's that all about?

upformore
upformore Posts: 17 Member
Has anyone else ever noticed that runner's drink Diet Coke like it's water? I'm not a nutritionist, nor do I claim any expertise in this matter, but practically substituting your water consumption during the day with Diet Coke has to take a toll eventually...am I right? :-) (Not attacking runners here...just having some fun, but come on already with the Diet Coke!)

Replies

• upformore
    Maybe it's my part of the US...but it seems as if you have been officially welcomed into the running club when you are invited to go get a Diet Coke after a long run. Personally....after a long run I'll take the Coke with sugar...
  • upformore
    Nice...getting science involved.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I used to drink Pepsi Max as my pre workout
  • upformore
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

Where did you get this chart from?

It’s an illustration of the results found from this study:
    https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/103/3/717/4564598

There’s another illustration of the same results found in the link but it isn’t as pretty.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Around here it’s bananas after the run. For the potassium I think (not to mention the carb kick).