Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you drink Diet Coke obsessively....You might be a runner. What's that all about?

Options

Replies

• Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with the post, but I like this chart. I sometimes find when I am extremely thirsty, I crave ice cold milk and I feel more hydrated than if I drank water or Gatorade.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with the post, but I like this chart. I sometimes find when I am extremely thirsty, I crave ice cold milk and I feel more hydrated than if I drank water or Gatorade.

Same. Milk is my dear friend.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

Plain water hydrates better than a sports drink? I don't think so.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

I'm somewhat curious as to what they're considering as a sports drink. It might be in the methods section of the article cited but I'm nowhere near curious enough to actually find the article right now.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Methods section of the maughan Study, in case anyone is interested:
    65n23791qf4s.png
    8wr9ikdkmukc.png

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    It's actually interesting. I don't drink nearly as much water as I used to. I drink 3-4 cups of coffee, a can of diet dr pepper and just one of my fake-tervis cups of plain water during my work day, and I think I'm very well hydrated. I pee a lot and it's always really light yellow.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Just some numbers

Sodium content of tap water: 13 mg/12oz (source: just googling sodium tap water)

Sodium content of diet coke: 40 mg/12 oz (source: https://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/products/diet-coke/original/12-oz/)

Sodium content of human blood: 1136 mg/12 oz. (source: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373711) Math: Source gives 140 mEQ/L. Converting that to concentration in mg... Sodiums ionic valence is 1. Sodiums atomic mass is 23 grams per mole. So 140 mEQ/L is the same as 3220 mg/L. There are 34oz in a liter so blood is about 95 mg in 12 oz. There is about 6 liters of blood in your circulation for the typical person so we are talking 19,320 mg in circulation at any given moment just to put that into perspective of the 40mg in a 12 oz bottle of diet coke.

Sodium content of sea water for comparison: 3725 mg/ 12oz (source: https://www.lenntech.com/composition-seawater.htm) Math. Sodium is listed as 10,556 mg/L. 34 oz in a liter so (10,566/34)*12 = 3725mg / 12 oz.

So sure, diet coke has 3x the sodium concentration of tap water. Kind of like how sea water has 3x the sodium concentration of your blood. But if we are comparing amounts, soda has almost 30x less sodium per ounce than your blood has and you have 6 liters of blood. I don't think drinking soda is going to affect your sodium levels all that much.

Caught a typo in case anyone cares. I said blood has 95mg of sodium in 12 oz but I meant in 1 oz. It is 1136mg in 12 oz.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i still question the sports drink findings

as far as diet coke, i have not found this to be prevelant in my experience. i see regular soda, but mostly, we are coffee and beer in my area. the breweries host runs, run clubs go to local coffee spots after a run. and tacos. lots of tacos
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

it appears as though they basically assessed how much you pee'd after drinking each of these types of hydration indexes - the lower the cumulative urine mass, the better for you - the higher the more you pee'd out
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I'm somewhat curious as to what they're considering as a sports drink. It might be in the methods section of the article cited but I'm nowhere near curious enough to actually find the article right now.

Powerade
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    upformore wrote: »
    Has anyone else ever noticed that runner's drink Diet Coke like it's water? I'm not a nutritionist, nor do I claim any expertise in this matter, but practically substituting your water consumption during the day with Diet Coke has to take a toll eventually...am I right? :-) (Not attacking runners here...just having some fun, but come on already with the Diet Coke!)

i'm a runner, i drink 1 can of diet coke per day...

bet that's blown your mind @upformore
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I drink coke on Marathon and ironman courses - instant energy

I've been known to have a beer or 3 during marathons. The Twins Cities marathon finishes up Summit Ave which houses a few frats (University of St. Thomas...I think). They usually have a few kegs out and there's been a couple times when that was the coldest thing to drink on the course.....good times.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I drink coke on Marathon and ironman courses - instant energy

I've been known to have a beer or 3 during marathons. The Twins Cities marathon finishes up Summit Ave which houses a few frats (University of St. Thomas...I think). They usually have a few kegs out and there's been a couple times when that was the coldest thing to drink on the course.....good times.

had beer at the shamrock half marathon a few years back - same feeling - but getting it licensed on an ironman course probably won't happen...lol
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Same. Milk is my dear friend.
    Love milk, but couldn't help myself.
    rj5551lj8ff1.png

Pre, during, post run I crave water. Evidently I run with a different crowd as we usually go for post run beers. Not diet, not light.....beer.