Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If you drink Diet Coke obsessively....You might be a runner. What's that all about?

Options

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Huh... I always drink diet orange soda or root beer after a run. On those really long run days nothing is better than a tall glass of chocolate milk though, yum!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Huh... I always drink diet orange soda or root beer after a run. On those really long run days nothing is better than a tall glass of chocolate milk though, yum!

I run first thing in the morning and I follow my runs with a breakfast of whey protein in 8oz of milk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the post, but I like this chart. I sometimes find when I am extremely thirsty, I crave ice cold milk and I feel more hydrated than if I drank water or Gatorade.

Same. Milk is my dear friend.
    Love milk, but couldn't help myself.
    rj5551lj8ff1.png

Pre, during, post run I crave water. Evidently I run with a different crowd as we usually go for post run beers. Not diet, not light.....beer.

I was going to say that most of my cycling buddies and the runners I know usually go for beers post ride or run. Personally, the cycling events that have a beer garden at the end are my favorite.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the post, but I like this chart. I sometimes find when I am extremely thirsty, I crave ice cold milk and I feel more hydrated than if I drank water or Gatorade.

Same. Milk is my dear friend.
    Love milk, but couldn't help myself.
    rj5551lj8ff1.png

Pre, during, post run I crave water. Evidently I run with a different crowd as we usually go for post run beers. Not diet, not light.....beer.

I was going to say that most of my cycling buddies and the runners I know usually go for beers post ride or run. Personally, the cycling events that have a beer garden at the end are my favorite.

Yeah, the post-race beer always tastes so good.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

Plain water hydrates better than a sports drink? I don't think so.

Sports drinks are going to be better for replenishing electrolytes than plain water which is important when engaging in sweaty activities.
    However, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll retain more of the fluid from a sports drink than from still water.
    Say you drink a liter of water and pee out .67 liters, you retained .33 liters of fluid.
    Then if you drink a liter of Powerade and pee out .68 liters, you retained .32 liters of fluid.
    The Powerade probably did a better job replenishing electrolytes (if that was needed) but you were left more hydrated from the water.

*these numbers are made up and in no way are intended to reflect reality.

Thanks for taking the time to break so that down and fill me in on the details of what's being measured here.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Among cyclists, Coke was the old school sports drink before sports drinks were a thing. Sometimes flat Coke if the carbonation gave you stomach issues on the bike. Even today, when pro road racers grab their musette bags in the feed zones there's often a can of Coke in there.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I’m a distance runner and have never had a Diet Coke in my life. I’ve actually always disliked all soda my entire life. As a kid it upset me because everyone used to get excited about root beer floats, but I thought they were so gross. Lol.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    Options
    Diet Coke is 99% water and actually hydrates you better than water. cbq1lnhrxndm.jpeg

So you’re saying I’m better off starting my mornings with beer vs coffee? 😁 :drinker:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    upformore wrote: »

I'd question any assumption based on ultra-running.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »

So you’re saying I’m better off starting my mornings with beer vs coffee? 😁 :drinker:

nope - they hydrate worse than water - you want something on the BHI that is greater than 1.0 on the scale
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should ask the specific runners to whom you are referring. Only they would know why they drink so much Diet Coke. I doubt that it's a global phenomenon.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    MichSmish wrote: »

No, no, no... you're missing the point. Since you run a lot and neither beer or coffee hydrates you as well as water, you should start the morning with two beers.

:lol:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    upformore wrote: »
    Has anyone else ever noticed that runner's drink Diet Coke like it's water? I'm not a nutritionist, nor do I claim any expertise in this matter, but practically substituting your water consumption during the day with Diet Coke has to take a toll eventually...am I right? :-) (Not attacking runners here...just having some fun, but come on already with the Diet Coke!)

@upformore that is a good question. Not sure that it matters much since we humans are pretty much do what we want to do without regards to our long term health. :)

Yes people who are runners clearly have no regard for long term health....

Oh gods don't. Someone will come out with that one study that suggests greater incidence of heart disease in that extremely small segment of the population that runs frequent marathons and extrapolate from there...