How to lose weight plus build up muscle mass

Options

Replies

• jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    You can do similar to what I did. I hit the Gym about 6 days per week doing weights and just about 10 - 15 minutes of cardio before weights to warm up.

I made sure I got 1G of Protein / lb of body weight, set my goals to 0.5 loss per week, and dropped my carbs and fat a little to meet that calorie deficit. I also never eat back my workout calories.

I definitely got a ton stronger, and gained a "little" size. Now that i have gotten closer to my loss number, I set my goal back to maintain, switched to the P.H.U.L lifting program, keeping my protein where it is, started on creatine a bit back, and again not eating back my calories. I am still losing a little bit of weight slowly and still getting a little stronger and a little size.

Once I drop another 5 lbs, I may up my calories a hair and keep lifting hard.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING, HIT YOUR CALORIES AND LIFT!! If you can be strict, watching your calories, it will work.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    For those who seem to be confused about how much muscle one can gain in a month: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    AliceDark
    MFP Moderator
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    If you're already at a healthy BMI, you could consider recomposition. This discussion should be helpful to get you started:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

If you're not at a healthy BMI, you kind of have to choose what you want to do: lose weight or gain muscle. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do both at the same time. Your body needs excess calories to build muscle but needs a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can see how achieving these two conditions simultaneously is problematic, yes?

You can buid muscle in a caloric deficit if you have excess fat, because the excess fat is essentially excess calories sitting there ready to be used.
    Well true to a point, but it's limited. If one only has to lose about 10% body fat, you're NOT going to build significantly any noticeable muscle. And even if one were obese, it would take a while to even see it if it was a significant amount.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're already at a healthy BMI, you could consider recomposition. This discussion should be helpful to get you started:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

If you're not at a healthy BMI, you kind of have to choose what you want to do: lose weight or gain muscle. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do both at the same time. Your body needs excess calories to build muscle but needs a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can see how achieving these two conditions simultaneously is problematic, yes?

You can buid muscle in a caloric deficit if you have excess fat, because the excess fat is essentially excess calories sitting there ready to be used.
    Well true to a point, but it's limited. If one only has to lose about 10% body fat, you're NOT going to build significantly any noticeable muscle. And even if one were obese, it would take a while to even see it if it was a significant amount.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this here, for OP and whomever would like to peruse:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10700128/from-couch-to-half-ironman-world-championships#latest
This discussion has been closed.