How to lose weight plus build up muscle mass

Options
sflano1783
sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
I want to lose weight plus try build up a bit of muscle mass I have two dumbells at home any ideas for homeworkouts

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Other than as a newbie, returning after a layoff or obese, you won't gain much muscle mass in a calorie deficit, which is what you need to lose weight. But you can keep and condition most of what you have.

How much weight do you want to lose? Also 2 dumbells and a bodyweight program are fine to start but at some point you will need more weights or to join a gym to build muscle through progressive overload.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you're already at a healthy BMI, you could consider recomposition. This discussion should be helpful to get you started:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

If you're not at a healthy BMI, you kind of have to choose what you want to do: lose weight or gain muscle. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do both at the same time. Your body needs excess calories to build muscle but needs a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can see how achieving these two conditions simultaneously is problematic, yes?
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    You need to provide more information of where you are now and what your history is....

However, on a basic level you probably need to choose one or the other......that said no reason you can't start working out at home now. While losing BF on a CI<CO.

Good Luck
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You need to get more specific if you want a tailored answer. How much do you want to lose? How much muscle do you want to gain?

You lose weight by implementing a caloric deficit.

You preserve muscle by a progressive resistance program.

You gain tissue (some muscle) by eating a caloric surplus and implementing a progressive resistance program.

Loads of bodyweight and dumbbell programs out there. Check out youtube and find a specific program that suits your goals.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    I want to lose weight plus try build up a bit of muscle mass I have two dumbells at home any ideas for homeworkouts

I'm not sure if you're still here or not, but you will need to provide more info to get specific feedback.

If you are in the healthy weight range, you can do a recomp, where you very slowly lose a little fat while gaining muscle, thus maintaining your weight but improving your body composition, check out this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

If you still have a decent amount of weight to lose, eat at a calorie deficit to lose the fat, and strength train to at least maintain your current muscle mass, and possibly in specific situations you might gain some muscle as well. Here is a thread with links to recommended strength training programs, there are some for dumbbells or body weight: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Best of luck
This discussion has been closed.