How to lose weight plus build up muscle mass

Options

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Other than as a newbie, returning after a layoff or obese, you won't gain much muscle mass in a calorie deficit, which is what you need to lose weight. But you can keep and condition most of what you have.

How much weight do you want to lose? Also 2 dumbells and a bodyweight program are fine to start but at some point you will need more weights or to join a gym to build muscle through progressive overload.

I'll have to agree. As a newbie weight lifter you will be able to build a small amount of muscle, even in a deficit if you keep your protein, fat, and carbs in check because although your body needs extra calories to build muscle it can, to an extent, draw from fat stores for some of those calories. Problem is that the body isn't that efficient, even though we wish it was. Over time, staying in a deficit the muscle gains will stop, and sometimes can go the wrong way in an extreme deficit. For that reason most people will recommend you lose the weight first, then work on building muscle. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be weight training during your diet. I would simply not try to be a power lifter. I stayed with higher reps and lower weight to help keep my muscles from degrading when I was in a deficit. Then after I lost the weight I switched to maintenance and gradually increased weight a bit until I saw some muscle growth. Then I switched to a slight surplus and built a bit more muscle over the last winter. So now I'm back down to maintenance and a little below it trimming the fat (so to speak).

It really just depends on your goals what works best, but if you have a lot of weight to lose, my suggestion is lose the weight first, weight train to keep what you have, and worry about growth later when you have room for more calories.

Just my .02, doesn't mean my opinion is right, it's just mine and it works for me.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    marxk0815 wrote: »
    OP, you asked a question: how do I achieve this goal?

You got a lot of people tell you that your goal is unrealistic.

And you have a few people telling you that they achieved your goal and how they were able to achieve it.

All you have to do is decide who you want to listen to.

Best wishes, and I hope you exceed expectations. :)

Last I checked, even bodybuilders are happy if they gain 1 pound of muscle in a month and that's trying to gain weight, nevermind while also eating a deficit to lose fat.
    So yeah, no.

OP asked how to lose fat and gain muscle. You can see by the pics I posted and the weight I lost that it can be done. You can't argue with results.

Don't get so hung up on numbers. All I said about the 5lbs was that when you work like that, the scale can stall. But that doesn't mean progress isn't occuring. Here are some same weight pics that show you can lose fat and gain muscle, and the scale stalls:

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

Am I the only one confused on how those pics are supposed to show that you can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time while in a deficit?

Yep, totally agreed that weight loss isn't linear. That's pretty well known around these parts, specifically when OPs start a thread about their weight loss slowing or stopping. Most commonly it's due to added or upped exercising causing the body to retain water. My weight can jump 2-3lbs after a hard lifting day.

to me its showing that her weight remained the same but her body changed so to me that means a recomp. which usually means eating in maintenance.but doesnt say deficit or not so and these pics could just mean that these women lost fat and showed the muscle underneath too.

Agreed....it could be a recomp or the results of a cut / bulk / cut, and also agreed that it could be from BF% being lost and little to no muscle was actually gained.

Reading the thread I thought the crux of the back and forth was about gaining measurable muscle fast enough to cancel out fat loss at a 1:1 ratio....and I thought that these pics were proof of that being possible.

If not, then my bad.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

And you have a few people telling you that they achieved your goal and how they were able to achieve it.

Last I checked, even bodybuilders are happy if they gain 1 pound of muscle in a month and that's trying to gain weight, nevermind while also eating a deficit to lose fat.
    So yeah, no.

OP asked how to lose fat and gain muscle. You can see by the pics I posted and the weight I lost that it can be done. You can't argue with results.

Don't get so hung up on numbers. All I said about the 5lbs was that when you work like that, the scale can stall. But that doesn't mean progress isn't occuring. Here are some same weight pics that show you can lose fat and gain muscle, and the scale stalls:

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

Am I the only one confused on how those pics are supposed to show that you can lose weight and gain muscle at the same time while in a deficit?

Yep, totally agreed that weight loss isn't linear. That's pretty well known around these parts, specifically when OPs start a thread about their weight loss slowing or stopping. Most commonly it's due to added or upped exercising causing the body to retain water. My weight can jump 2-3lbs after a hard lifting day.

to me its showing that her weight remained the same but her body changed so to me that means a recomp. which usually means eating in maintenance.but doesnt say deficit or not so and these pics could just mean that these women lost fat and showed the muscle underneath too.

Agreed....it could be a recomp or the results of a cut / bulk / cut, and also agreed that it could be from BF% being lost and little to no muscle was actually gained.

Reading the thread I thought the crux of the back and forth was about gaining measurable muscle fast enough to cancel out fat loss at a 1:1 ratio....and I thought that these pics were proof of that being possible.

If not, then my bad.

Exactly.

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

Those women stayed the same weight and lost quite a bit of fat. If they didn't also gain muscle, then their weight would have been reduced as their size got smaller. Fat weight was being lost, and muscle weight was being gained. Simultaneously.

Also, my pictures and stats show that you can eat at a deficit, lose a significant amount of weight and simultaneously gain muscle and strength.

OK....then my assumption was correct....

I don't see how these pictures are supposed to prove anything? Are you saying they recomped....or they ate at a constant deficit and stayed the exact same weight....and thus assuming they gained muscle and lost fat at a 1:1 ratio?
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

If not, then my bad.

Exactly.

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

Those women stayed the same weight and lost quite a bit of fat. If they didn't also gain muscle, then their weight would have been reduced as their size got smaller. Fat weight was being lost, and muscle weight was being gained. Simultaneously.

Also, my pictures and stats show that you can eat at a deficit, lose a significant amount of weight and simultaneously gain muscle and strength.

You have no evidence of the time frame. It's more likely that they went through a cut and bulk cycle
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

If not, then my bad.

Exactly.

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

You have no evidence of the time frame. It's more likely that they went through a cut and bulk cycle

The time frame for a 5lb fat loss and 5lb muscle gain was 1 month as stated by that poster.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I looked up the bottom lady. She stayed the same weight and recomped over a 2yr period. So guessing high a 20lb fat loss/muscle build, that's roughly 2lbs/month.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

If not, then my bad.

Exactly.

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

umm no its not a 1:1 ratio I am losing fat and Im maintaining my weight and gaining some muscle. the scale isnt changing at all but I know its also not a 1:1 ratio. losing fat doesnt mean weight loss unless its a good bit. I got smaller as a result but my weight wasnt reduced. Im recomping though. Thats why a lot of times you may lose inches but not see the scale go down,doesnt mean you are gaining muscle at the same time.,muscle also takes up less space than fat.

so these pics dont really prove anything except for fat was lost and weight stayed the same. you can get smaller and your weight not be reduced due to a change in body composition. Im a smaller size at 35+ lb heavier than I was at 35+ lbs lighter due to lifting weights while I was losing weight. I maintained the mass I had and may have built some but it wasnt a lot. Ive also gained over the last 2 years about 10lbs and I still fit into my clothing I did 10 lbs lighter. sure some of it may be muscle. but Im still losing fat and weight hasnt changed. I can see the fat loss. weight hasnt changed in over 4 months.so I disagree
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

If not, then my bad.

Exactly.

So yeah, no.

hthtnitbojhc.png

yvrvhc1phnq8.png

OK....then my assumption was correct....

I don't see how these pictures are supposed to prove anything? Are you saying they recomped....or they ate at a constant deficit and stayed the exact same weight....and thus assuming they gained muscle and lost fat at a 1:1 ratio?

I don't have to assume - I can tell you from personal experience - you can look at my pics and my stats and see I ate at a deficit and gained serious muscle mass and strength at the same time.

Which is what the OP wanted to know how to do. So I told the OP how I did it.

And everybody got upset about it, for some reason.

you have no pics showing anything
This discussion has been closed.