Lose weight = looking older??

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited October 2018
    I think it's probably different for each individual. I know that I've looked through lots of before/after photos on the success section of the forum, and most I think look younger in their after photos.

However I can see how losing weight could also make someone look older as well. Having a rounder face could lead to a younger look. It probably depends how much fat is carried in your neck/face as well.

I've only ever been slightly overweight and all my excess fat is carried in my lower half, so losing or gaining weight has never affected my appearance in that way.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Depends on how much weight you lose and your age. The older we get the elasticity of the skin lessons so if you lose a great deal of weight in a relatively short time, skin will sag more making people look older. I like the earlier comment from the guy who said, "i choose function over form."
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited October 2018
    Judging from your picture you look better than the average 49 year olds so don’t trip
  • resplendent2121
    resplendent2121 Posts: 9 Member
    I feel like I look more childlike when I loose weight, honestly.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I definitely look my actual age when I lose weight.
    When I'm bigger, I look younger.
    I got asked if my 10-year-old was my little brother at my biggest hahaha.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    I think a lot depends on if you change your style along with your weight. If you update your hair make up and clothes it can make a big difference to peoples perception of your age. I have noticed this a lot in the before and afters.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I keep thinking this over and wondering: Why is it a problem to look older, especially when the concommitant effects are feeling younger, being healthier, creating a higher likelihood of living longer in independence and good health, being a better example of health and agency for those we love, and so many more positive things? (Rhetorical question, BTW, no need to answer.)

I understand that youthful appearance is a goal for many, but for myself I don't really get it. People say older women are more likely to be ignored, get worse service in businesses, etc. I very rarely see this . . . and believe me, when I do, I know how to make myself un-ignored pretty darned quickly.

Yeah, much-younger guys don't hit on me. I think it would be icky if they did, speaking only for myself. Guys my own age don't hit on me much, either, but that's fine: If a few wrinkles put them off, I don't need them in my life, because they're *baby-feline*heads. (IRL, I think my personality puts off more people than my appearance, actually. ;) ).

I'd also add this, to people worrying about loose facial/neck skin at goal weight: Keep in mind that it can keep shrinking for a long time in maintenance, if it's true loose skin (thin wrinkles, not residual squish-y fat areas). Also, glycogen replenishment will create appearance improvements as well. I think my face/neck look better in year 3 of maintenance than they did in the first weeks at goal.

The youth-glorifying and youth-seeking in our culture really annoys me sometimes. Aging is good. Consider the actual alternative.

JMO.

I guess it doesn't in theory bother me to look older than my age but I am married to someone 6 years younger than me who has been mistaken for a college student even though he is on the other side of 30 as well. I would be upset if I was mistaken for his mother or grandmother. Grateful to be alive and healthy no matter what but it could bother me to look older.
    So far I look my age or a few years younger.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Hi all,

I have to say I think I look older now than when I was heavier, less fat to puff out the wrinkles I suppose! (I'm 49). I choose being slim and healthy so if a side effect is looking a bit older that's just how it has to be.

I have noticed from the majority of the before/after photos hardly anyone looks younger with weight off (unless they are young of course!).

Anyway, just putting this out there for opinions/thoughts.

Ruth

I know I looked older so I grew a beard to keep down the remarks about my hollow looking face. Over the last few months I have let it grow at the request of my daughter due to Christmas season coming. Now the wife states I look 10 years older than ever. Pleasing all the women all of the time is not my forte it seems. :)

Health comes first over looks in my book. I never want my fat jaws back.

I envy men their ability to grow a beard!
  • gardnerjes
    gardnerjes Posts: 22 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think I maybe look older, but more as a result of a bit of sagging residual loose skin (or loose skin with some subcutaneous fat) on my face. My neck looks a little stringier, but I don't know whether it counts as turkey neck or not . . . in any case, I don't think it looks worse than the double chins did, just different.

What matters more to me is that I feel much younger, feel more like myself somehow, joints hurt less (and less frequently), I can do more, and I think I move in a younger way than when I was obese. I had been starting to walk with that side-to-side rocking motion you see in heavy older women, and now I have a regular walk with more hip mobility, more scamper-y, even.

I'm 62, if that matters - was 59-60 when I lost 50ish pounds, now maintaining.

In the "Photo Only Success Stories" thread, I think most people look younger in their after photos.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories

Thanks for sharing this I found it really helpful and inspiring.