1200 is not enough!

So for about 6 months now I've been trying my darndest to stick to a 1200 calorie diet. On days I workout, I do add back in the extra calories.... but on days I don't... 1200 is so hard!

I did this based on the recommendation of my trainer, along with macros of 50%p/25%c/25%f. Most days I do alright, although it's probably more realistically 45%p/20%c/35%f. I don't know that my trainer has any kind of nutrition background.

They also keep pitching a "meal prep plan" to me, where they have meals made and delivered the beginning of the week. When I look at these meals I realize if I did their plan, NO WAY would I be within the limits that we originally discussed.

My weightloss has not been significant. During the day I'm very sedentary. I have a job that doesn't require much movement. In the evenings I'm either at the gym for an hour, at soccer practice (I coach) for 90+ minutes, doing housework (moving around) or a plethera of combinations.

Could I maybe not be eating enough? Could I be hurting myself rather than helping?

I know I'm opening myself up to all kinds of criticisms... that's ok. I'm just frustrated and want to try and "fix" it.

Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    What's your current height and weight? I'm at 1,280 per day losing a pound a week, but I am straight up sedentary, 5'1'', and 165 pounds. If you're any taller, your sedentary days might be more. What does MFP say when you put in your stats?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member
    1200 calories is really low. It is hard to stick to and probably not necessary.

Two things people will ask:

How tall are you, how much weight are you needing to lose to get into a healthy body weight?

...and...please open your FOOD diary for us to try to troubleshoot. FOOD > Settings, scroll down, click "Public."
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    I appreciate all of the help/input - diary is open.

• Chelle8070
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    You'll get lots of feedback on your post. I am absolutely no expert but I have two comments:

1. I don't trust anyone with a secondary agenda, such as selling me a meal plan. You're paying your trainer to improve your physique, not for a sales pitch.

2. Under eating does not stop weight loss. Otherwise there would be no such thing as starving kids in 3rd world countries or anorexia.

I suspect you are either eating more than you think or burning less calories than you account for through exercise. Maybe a combination of both.

To your #1 - I tell them all the time I'm not buying their crap LOL!!! <3 I do like the protein powder, meal replacement shakes they sell though, so they got me there (when I can't find it cheaper elsewhere)
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    I am no expert, but I would go crazy on such low carbs, especially when the kcal are so low:)

I've tried sticking to 1200kcal but it was just too hard, I was starving all the time...I increased kcal to 1400 and I feel much better now.
  • LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    I was on 1200 cal for 7 months and went from 259lbs to 193.5lbs, so lost 65.5lbs, once i got into the 180's, I have upped to 1400. Currently 187 with a goal of 161 - 165. I had a digital scale since day 1 and weighed everything religiously, it was hard at first.
  • LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    Also my macros are set to 40%carbs, 30% protein & 30% fats
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    I think maybe I just need to switch trainers. If I only lose 5 or so pounds in a month he kind of guilts me about it.

Hmmmm, I would think about it. Why would he be guilting you? Is his job not to be supportive and helpful? If a trainer isn't motivating you or providing expert information, what's the point of him?
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    I don't know that my trainer has any kind of nutrition background.
    I would also be asking this question asap. I'm shorter and lighter than you and unless I am completely sedentary 1200kcal genuinely isn't enough for me (though if you're not losing I agree you're probably not eating 1200/day). I'd like to know his reasoning here. Giving you the minimum safe no. of kcal to make you lose the weight as quickly as possible is not at all what I would expect out of someone who is supposed to be a professional.

This is why I don't do trainers and instead do OrangeTheory. All the benefits of having someone else design the workout and able to correct form and push me, none of the relationship *kitten* because there are 20+ other people in the room doing the same workout. Plus it costs less.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    So I am 5'6" and 150 lbs, working to get to 135 or 140. To my knowledge, when we have fewer pounds to lose we adjust our rate or loss from 2 or 1.5 lbs per week to 1 or .5 lbs per week. Losing goes more slowly as we get closer to goal, and you are only 26 lbs away from your goal. I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the guidance is 1-25 lbs to lose, set it at .5 lbs per week; for 26-50 lbs to lose, set it at 1 lb per week. Mine is set at .5 lbs per week and I get 1490 cals before exercise. I get 3000-6000 steps a day which gives me ~200 extra calories and I am satisfied on nearly 1700 a day. I am still losing, too.

I agree with others that your protein macro is high. If that works for you - i.e. keeps you satiated so you don't feel like you want to eat your chair - then keep it at 50%. But I need a balance, so I'm spread at 35-35-30%.

A personal trainer's primary purpose is to help you train/exercise/get fit. They are not there to sell you stuff; after all, you have already paid them. I won't go back to someone who tried to sell me something that I don't need.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    I found when adding the full calories I burned into the calories I can eat it stopped me from losing weight. I believe devices that give calories for excercise (treadmill, watch) are only guessing. I add calories to my overall goal when I excercise as a reward, but I only add around 1/4th of what my watch says I burned. So far it is working. Hope this helps.
  • Chelle8070
    Okay, thanks for opening your FOOD diary.

1. Lots of "one half apple" "1/3 cookie" (who eats one third of a chocolate chip cookie, and well done there :lol: ) "1 scoop of protein powder," etc. Start weighing stuff on a digital food scale. You're eating more than you think.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

2. Why are you (for instance) logging 600 calories for exercise, then not eating those calories?

3. Your food logging is not consistent. There are a few days logged, then a few not, etc. It needs consistency.

1. I totally eat 1/3 of a chocolate chip cookie on occasion. That's a real thing LOL. My 1/2 an apple was real too, gave the other half to the chickens. I just wanted it on my salad. I considered the scoop of protein powder a real thing as it's the real numbers and I level off the scoop and everything. I weigh all of my meats and a few other things. If I enter a recipe in MyFitnessPal, I portion it all out before we eat (my boyfriend loves that) so if it says 6 servings, I weigh it to make sure I have 6 equal portions, etc.

2. A lot of that is the time of day. If I workout, then go right to soccer practice, I could go home to dinner with 1000 calories left but it's also 7:30 at night, so I don't think it's in my best interest to eat 1000 calories and then go to bed.

• Chelle8070
    As far as the trainer goes - I was working with one guy who is great for conversation (about life, food, all of it)... then the manager of that location booked me a month and a half worth of sessions with him. He's not attentive, complains about all the stuff he has to do, and as I said, guilts if I don't lose 10lbs a month. I have today and Thursday with him and then I go back to the first guy. I'm done training with the manager.

It doesn't help that he severely let himself go and the owner is pushing him like a beast to get back in shape to better represent the company.... so he's training like 4x a week with the owner and doing ridiculous amounts of cardio, etc. I admire his drive and all but I just am not going to push quite as hard as he has been.

I actually worry about him and think all the extra pushing is playing into him being a crappy trainer for the time being.

Not that any of this is or should be my problem. I don't like the anxiety that my weigh in is causing. This is the first time I'm nervous vs excited to see the results and that isn't going to help anyone.