Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

1200 is not enough!

Options

Replies

• LaurenMT96
    LaurenMT96 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also my macros are set to 40%carbs, 30% protein & 30% fats
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    I think maybe I just need to switch trainers. If I only lose 5 or so pounds in a month he kind of guilts me about it.

Hmmmm, I would think about it. Why would he be guilting you? Is his job not to be supportive and helpful? If a trainer isn't motivating you or providing expert information, what's the point of him?
    I don't know that my trainer has any kind of nutrition background.
    I would also be asking this question asap. I'm shorter and lighter than you and unless I am completely sedentary 1200kcal genuinely isn't enough for me (though if you're not losing I agree you're probably not eating 1200/day). I'd like to know his reasoning here. Giving you the minimum safe no. of kcal to make you lose the weight as quickly as possible is not at all what I would expect out of someone who is supposed to be a professional.

This is why I don't do trainers and instead do OrangeTheory. All the benefits of having someone else design the workout and able to correct form and push me, none of the relationship *kitten* because there are 20+ other people in the room doing the same workout. Plus it costs less.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So I am 5'6" and 150 lbs, working to get to 135 or 140. To my knowledge, when we have fewer pounds to lose we adjust our rate or loss from 2 or 1.5 lbs per week to 1 or .5 lbs per week. Losing goes more slowly as we get closer to goal, and you are only 26 lbs away from your goal. I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the guidance is 1-25 lbs to lose, set it at .5 lbs per week; for 26-50 lbs to lose, set it at 1 lb per week. Mine is set at .5 lbs per week and I get 1490 cals before exercise. I get 3000-6000 steps a day which gives me ~200 extra calories and I am satisfied on nearly 1700 a day. I am still losing, too.

I agree with others that your protein macro is high. If that works for you - i.e. keeps you satiated so you don't feel like you want to eat your chair - then keep it at 50%. But I need a balance, so I'm spread at 35-35-30%.

A personal trainer's primary purpose is to help you train/exercise/get fit. They are not there to sell you stuff; after all, you have already paid them. I won't go back to someone who tried to sell me something that I don't need.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I found when adding the full calories I burned into the calories I can eat it stopped me from losing weight. I believe devices that give calories for excercise (treadmill, watch) are only guessing. I add calories to my overall goal when I excercise as a reward, but I only add around 1/4th of what my watch says I burned. So far it is working. Hope this helps.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for opening your FOOD diary.

1. Lots of "one half apple" "1/3 cookie" (who eats one third of a chocolate chip cookie, and well done there :lol: ) "1 scoop of protein powder," etc. Start weighing stuff on a digital food scale. You're eating more than you think.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

2. Why are you (for instance) logging 600 calories for exercise, then not eating those calories?

3. Your food logging is not consistent. There are a few days logged, then a few not, etc. It needs consistency.

1. I totally eat 1/3 of a chocolate chip cookie on occasion. That's a real thing LOL. My 1/2 an apple was real too, gave the other half to the chickens. I just wanted it on my salad. I considered the scoop of protein powder a real thing as it's the real numbers and I level off the scoop and everything. I weigh all of my meats and a few other things. If I enter a recipe in MyFitnessPal, I portion it all out before we eat (my boyfriend loves that) so if it says 6 servings, I weigh it to make sure I have 6 equal portions, etc.

2. A lot of that is the time of day. If I workout, then go right to soccer practice, I could go home to dinner with 1000 calories left but it's also 7:30 at night, so I don't think it's in my best interest to eat 1000 calories and then go to bed.

• Chelle8070
    Options
    As far as the trainer goes - I was working with one guy who is great for conversation (about life, food, all of it)... then the manager of that location booked me a month and a half worth of sessions with him. He's not attentive, complains about all the stuff he has to do, and as I said, guilts if I don't lose 10lbs a month. I have today and Thursday with him and then I go back to the first guy. I'm done training with the manager.

It doesn't help that he severely let himself go and the owner is pushing him like a beast to get back in shape to better represent the company.... so he's training like 4x a week with the owner and doing ridiculous amounts of cardio, etc. I admire his drive and all but I just am not going to push quite as hard as he has been.

I actually worry about him and think all the extra pushing is playing into him being a crappy trainer for the time being.

Not that any of this is or should be my problem. I don't like the anxiety that my weigh in is causing. This is the first time I'm nervous vs excited to see the results and that isn't going to help anyone.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Options
    I go to bed any time between 9 and 12 depending on the day and energy levels... or if I've consumed all of my calories and find myself rummaging, I'll just go to bed. LOL

When I do log - I log everything. Peanut butter, butter, soy sauces, wasabi, mustard, etc... everything... but I don't weigh it all. I use measuring cups/spoons. I'll start trying to weigh more often.

Thank you again for everything <3 This thread has helped me realize some things *I* need to change and somethings I need to tell others *WILL* change ;)

You might want to give this a read :smile:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,977 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I go to bed any time between 9 and 12 depending on the day and energy levels... or if I've consumed all of my calories and find myself rummaging, I'll just go to bed. LOL

When I do log - I log everything. Peanut butter, butter, soy sauces, wasabi, mustard, etc... everything... but I don't weigh it all. I use measuring cups/spoons. I'll start trying to weigh more often.

Thank you again for everything <3 This thread has helped me realize some things *I* need to change and somethings I need to tell others *WILL* change ;)

You might want to give this a read :smile:

Exactly.
    Take the time to read it. Otherwise you are just sabotaging yourself, OP.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You will lose on 1200 calories a day IF you are logging and weighing and measuring correctly. No, you will not go into starvation mode which is a myth. I was in a similar position. I did not use a food scale...I do now and realize that I was pretty much underestimating how much I was really eating. It was an eye opener. If you really want to know how much you are eating, use a food scale and log everything...I mean everything. It's a pain in the butt but if you really want to know what the deal is...you need to. Good luck. It made a difference for me.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for opening your FOOD diary.

1. Lots of "one half apple" "1/3 cookie" (who eats one third of a chocolate chip cookie, and well done there :lol: ) "1 scoop of protein powder," etc. Start weighing stuff on a digital food scale. You're eating more than you think.

2. Why are you (for instance) logging 600 calories for exercise, then not eating those calories?

3. Your food logging is not consistent. There are a few days logged, then a few not, etc. It needs consistency.

1. I totally eat 1/3 of a chocolate chip cookie on occasion. That's a real thing LOL. My 1/2 an apple was real too, gave the other half to the chickens. I just wanted it on my salad. I considered the scoop of protein powder a real thing as it's the real numbers and I level off the scoop and everything. I weigh all of my meats and a few other things. If I enter a recipe in MyFitnessPal, I portion it all out before we eat (my boyfriend loves that) so if it says 6 servings, I weigh it to make sure I have 6 equal portions, etc.

2. A lot of that is the time of day. If I workout, then go right to soccer practice, I could go home to dinner with 1000 calories left but it's also 7:30 at night, so I don't think it's in my best interest to eat 1000 calories and then go to bed.

I have tried several protein powders and have yet to find one that includes a scoop that is EXACTLY right for the gram weight given for a serving. If I do a level scoop, it's always at least 10% higher than the stated serving.

Weigh the solids - as often as is realistic, ideally always - and that'll help with the accuracy.

~Lyssa
  • Chelle8070
    Options
    It's a real bummer about the measuring cups vs weight. All in all I've probably been on MFP for 5+ years (not regularly but still) and have been thinking measuring cups are sufficient this whole time because "hey! i'm measuring"

Seriously - thank you all!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Here are some thoughts:

- Losing 1-2lbs per week is realistic for most people who are not extremely obese. Losing more than 5lbs a month simply isn't realistic for some people, especially sedentary women.

- Using a scale for all solid foods may seem tedious, but it'll make your calorie count waaaay more accurate. It's also a nice way to reduce dirty dishes! Use the "tare" function while adding ingredients to your empty bowl and you only dirty one bowl.

- Make sure your diet is high in SATIATING foods. Lean proteins (chicken, eggs, tuna, tofu, seitan), fibrous carbs (veggies, potatoes, oatmeal, beans, legumes) and high-volume low-calorie foods (green veggies, broths, air-popped popcorn, shirataki noodles, sugar-free jello, etc.).

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/15-incredibly-filling-foods