Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting - Dr Jason Fung

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I am waiting for anvilhead to post. He has a real hard on for this guy. Personal? Lol

Not personal, I just despise quacks who prostitute themselves and their profession in the name of profit. And Fung is a quack of the highest order. In that regard, I put him on the same level as Taubes (who's not even a doctor, he's a journalist), Dr. Oz, Mercola, and "Doctor" Berg (the quack chiropractor who has been fined and censured by the medical board in his state and ordered to stop dispensing woo). To me, they're like the Howard Sterns of the diet world - they know there's plenty of profit in being controversial and going against the mainstream, even if what they're peddling is complete crap.

We can start here with a scientific debunking of Fung's nonsense: https://www.myoleanfitness.com/evidence-caloric-restriction/

And we can go much deeper into the actual scientific truth about insulin here: https://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

Love your post man! Kind of funny, one of the signs of type 2 dm, is WEIGHTLOSS! Many t2dm's gain weight when they start insulin therapy. Not because of insulin directly, but because the body can now use the blood sugar in the body better. They gain because they are in a calorie surplus. Actually, that's one of the reasons I found out I am a type 2 meself! I started dropping weight, both fat and muscle mass. My body could not use my carbs for energy. Basically, went into ketosis without knowing.

**edit** We see many untreated type2 dm patients become Hyperphagic. Why? Then again, they are starving! Do I believe there might be an application for time restrictions eating, not calling IF anymore, for treating type2? Maybe. Make sense to a lay person like me. The less time you can tax the pancreas, the better. We also know that people are far more sensitive to their insulin in the am after "fasting" overnight. More research is truly needed imho.

**EDIT2** Kind of a strange thing. By being a type 2, it has pushed me into making "better" food choices. Sure I eat 40-45% carbs most days, but the choices are different. Higher veggies, some fruit, higher fiber higher protein foods in general. It stears me away from highly processed Hyperpalitable foods. Don't get me wrong i still indulge occassionally, but in general stick to a whole foods/flexible dietary style. It might actually help with maintenance. Who knows?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    IF works for T2D and insulin resistant people. It also works for weight loss. I was stuck at a plateau for a month, weighing and logging everything and exercising regularly. MD I know talked me into trying IF - broke my plateau and reached my goal without problem while eating more calories over a weeks time. I do 5/2 (fast 2 days, eat 5). I have read his book - he is not a quack (remember the study data he included in his book). In fact the endocrinologist in the medical practice I go to uses IF for their insulin resistant patients with great success as well as the endocrinologist at the VA that I work at. There are a lot of opinions on here (opinions) - and it might not be for everyone - but there are studies to back up the claims. My husband cannot do it - he does better with HFLC (high fat low carb). Give it a try. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

if you do 5:2 which means 5 days of maintenance calories and 2 days of like 500 calories you are creating a deficit whether you realize that or not. Ive done IF all my life and I have gained weight,lost weight and now Im maintaining all still doing IF. I at one point stopped doing IF and was told eating breakfast would boost my metabolism. nope didnt lose any more fat or weight compared to fasting. no one is saying that IF doesnt work for insulin resistance. but you still need a deficit of calories to lose weight. IF works for weight loss IF you are in a deficit of calories, I am living proof that you can gain weight and maintain weight by fasting. all due to intake of calories.

and a plateau is 6-8 weeks of no weight so did you go that long without any weight loss? you didnt lose weight eating more calories than you burned. you created a deficit. if you didnt eat at all those 5 days (which is not how 5:2 is normally done) that means you had NO calories for those 2 days and had calories the next 5 which means deficit. you may have ate more the 5 days but the 2 days with little to no calories means you were in deficit wich means weight loss happens.

if you were in a true plateau and lost doing IF then you were eating more than you thought before you started if and eating less.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I’m not understanding when the posters are saying he’s a quack. What is it about his claims you disagree with?

It is the typical response to anyone who is a proponent of keto, LCHF or fasting. If they are an MD they are a quack. If they are a journalist that has spent years studying other studies any any flaws or basis they may have they are labeled a journalist that lacks an MD.

Some of these doctors and journalists are very well educated and have spent years of study on this WOE. That doesn't mean they are right but we don't need to go very far back to find bad dietary advice given by other MD's dietitians and politicians. Disagree with research or bias or put forth an opinion that you feel is superior. To just throw a derogatory label on someone is a disservice to all. Okay @AnvilHead it's all yours.

Nobody is being called a "quack" simply because they are a proponent of keto, LCHF, or fasting. That's reserved for people who use inflated claims to promote those ways of eating or people who are using it as a vehicle for a quick cash grab from people who are longing to lose weight or manage other health conditions.

I did a quick check (I have watched some interviews but have not read his books) and most of what I could find on Dr. Fung is free. He does have paid or premium membership section of his site but I don't see a problem with that. He has written three books and I have no problem with that. So if he is making a "a cash grab" is this from a source that I have missed above? Not arguing but asking because I am curious.

I wasn't accusing Dr. Fung of making a cash grab (although this does seem like it is generating some significant income for him). When I hear Fung being called a quack, it's usually related to the quality of the evidence he is using for his claims, his insistence that his way is the only true method for weight loss, or his argument that restricting calories won't result in weight loss.

Fair enough. When I think of cash grab Dr. Berg is who comes to mind for me. Not saying he is bad or wrong but I get a kind of creepy vibe from him. There, hows that for a scientific approach to judging someones work!