Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting - Dr Jason Fung

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I’m not understanding when the posters are saying he’s a quack. What is it about his claims you disagree with?

It is the typical response to anyone who is a proponent of keto, LCHF or fasting. If they are an MD they are a quack. If they are a journalist that has spent years studying other studies any any flaws or basis they may have they are labeled a journalist that lacks an MD.

Some of these doctors and journalists are very well educated and have spent years of study on this WOE. That doesn't mean they are right but we don't need to go very far back to find bad dietary advice given by other MD's dietitians and politicians. Disagree with research or bias or put forth an opinion that you feel is superior. To just throw a derogatory label on someone is a disservice to all. Okay @AnvilHead it's all yours.

fung also said that one of his study subjects had an A1C of like 7+ and that with his diet this person could forgo insulin asap and he would be fine. he told the patient to cut the insulin cold turkey.That to me is asking for trouble. he also said that diabetes can be cured. it cant be cured because once you gain weight again and so on it can come back. people have and do lower their insulin and IR just by losing weight. insulin also has been shown to improve in a calorie deficit as well.

he also states that using insulin makes your diabetes worse over time. hes made a lot of false claims he just needs to stick with being a nephrologist.

The A1C 7+ story has to have more going on than what you have in one sentence I would hope but I will need to watch some of his videos to get a better idea. I would think bad advice would open up possible liability. The cured diabetes may not be the best term but to be fair would you call out a doctor that cured a patient of cancer because it may come back? I think the better term would be you can reverse diabetes with diet and it only stands to reason if a person takes up there old weight or lifestyle it would likely come back. I agree insulin should improve with any weight loss but I would give a slight edge to keto and LCHF due to the carb restriction and my bias toward keto. Either way I hope that someone who is pre diabetic or T2D will take some action to improve their numbers because it is a horrible road to go down. Anything that work I can support. My oldest Grandchild is a type 1 and I pray they can find a cure it at some point in his lifetime.

there really isnt more to the story either. he thinks that his protocol cures many things,can help this or that and that people dont need insulin as insulin makes things worse. as for cancer you can go into remission and never get it again or it may come back 10x worse and give you an even shorter life span. Ive seen it happen with those that had cancer. it came back with a vengeance even though they were"cancer free" for years. and many here have lost weight and gotten off their insulin and many here do so with higher amounts of carbs. so no low carb/keto really doesnt have a slight edge. many here dont do keto and manage their diabetes quite well ingesting decent amounts of carbs.

not to mention type 2 can also be genetic(no matter how you eat),caused from certain meds and so on. its not always based on weight and diet although that can be a precursor.with my health issue if I dont watch my diet,take my meds and exercise I can develop type 2 even at a healthier weight because of my gene defect. yet diabetes really doesnt run in my family. my aunt developed it in her 70s which happens with many elderly people (weight isnt always the reason).
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Lately every article in my newsfeed involving IF couples it with keto - it's like the two things have somehow become intertwined to the point where one can't be discussed without the other. Not sure what the latest wave of woo out there is driving the train.
    It's become like Crossfit and paleo was a few years ago.

The funny thing is that I get branded as being "anti-IF", and I've been doing it a lot longer than most of these new converts who are so feverish about it. It works for me to control my calorie intake - I just don't believe in all the magical fairy tales about it. Why can't good enough be good enough without having to be a quasi-religious miracle?

Exactly!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Lately every article in my newsfeed involving IF couples it with keto - it's like the two things have somehow become intertwined to the point where one can't be discussed without the other. Not sure what the latest wave of woo out there is driving the train.
    It's become like Crossfit and paleo was a few years ago.

The funny thing is that I get branded as being "anti-IF", and I've been doing it a lot longer than most of these new converts who are so feverish about it. It works for me to control my calorie intake - I just don't believe in all the magical fairy tales about it. Why can't good enough be good enough without having to be a quasi-religious miracle?

Same. I've been breakfast skipping for years. I eat earlier than I used to, but I still have a pretty small eating window (6 hours). It just suits my appetite. I don't low carb.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    But he turned me into a newt!