Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting - Dr Jason Fung

Options

Replies

• Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    he also states that using insulin makes your diabetes worse over time. hes made a lot of false claims he just needs to stick with being a nephrologist.

Glucose management is WELL within the interests of a nephrologist.

This is a curious line of attack. Fung isn't a bariatrician or an endocrinologist so he's not entitled to comment on those fields... well are YOU a bariatrician or endocrinologist by chance? If not, what right do you have to opine?

When someone who doesn't have credentials in a field claims that they know better than people who do have credentials in that field, I think anyone has a right to opine that that's shady.

Fung takes a kernel of something that's in his wheelhouse, extrapolates it out to the nth degree, over dramatizes the conclusion, and then uses his own "case studies" as "proof", or cherry picks research that seems to support his claims while flat out ignoring research that refutes it.

And I'd like to add, as others have, that none of this is a knock on IF. It is a great plan for many people to get their diets under control. There are some theories out there that it has other benefits, which may or may not hold up to the necessary further studying and testing. And then there's a lot of miracle cure, click-bait science fiction out there about IF trying to cash in on it's current popularity.

Dodging the whole qualification debate but if he is suggesting a type of diet combined with intermittent fasting to reduce medication to control T2D and it helps in any way, isn't this a good thing? I am assuming that the individual would either be under a doctors care or knowledgeable in how to monitor their insulin levels so they don't exceed levels that could cause harm. I am very anti medication so if I am told I need medication I will try any method possible to correct the need for it if possible.

he has basically said that the test subject could quit cold turkey with their insulin even before they start keto. ... as for some not eating for 3 days and being diabetic could cause severe issues.

You’ve answered yourself here. Fasting and taking insulin is FAR more dangerous than accepting higher-than-average blood sugars. Obviously if you’re going to start fasting you should quit your insulin regimen (as a type 2 DM patient). Hypoglycemia kills in minutes, hyperglycaemia kills in decades.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    he also states that using insulin makes your diabetes worse over time. hes made a lot of false claims he just needs to stick with being a nephrologist.

This is a curious line of attack. Fung isn't a bariatrician or an endocrinologist so he's not entitled to comment on those fields... well are YOU a bariatrician or endocrinologist by chance? If not, what right do you have to opine?

When someone who doesn't have credentials in a field claims that they know better than people who do have credentials in that field, I think anyone has a right to opine that that's shady.

Fung takes a kernel of something that's in his wheelhouse, extrapolates it out to the nth degree, over dramatizes the conclusion, and then uses his own "case studies" as "proof", or cherry picks research that seems to support his claims while flat out ignoring research that refutes it.

And I'd like to add, as others have, that none of this is a knock on IF. It is a great plan for many people to get their diets under control. There are some theories out there that it has other benefits, which may or may not hold up to the necessary further studying and testing. And then there's a lot of miracle cure, click-bait science fiction out there about IF trying to cash in on it's current popularity.

Dodging the whole qualification debate but if he is suggesting a type of diet combined with intermittent fasting to reduce medication to control T2D and it helps in any way, isn't this a good thing? I am assuming that the individual would either be under a doctors care or knowledgeable in how to monitor their insulin levels so they don't exceed levels that could cause harm. I am very anti medication so if I am told I need medication I will try any method possible to correct the need for it if possible.

he has basically said that the test subject could quit cold turkey with their insulin even before they start keto. ... as for some not eating for 3 days and being diabetic could cause severe issues.

You’ve answered yourself here. Fasting and taking insulin is FAR more dangerous than accepting higher-than-average blood sugars. Obviously if you’re going to start fasting you should quit your insulin regimen (as a type 2 DM patient). Hypoglycemia kills in minutes, hyperglycaemia kills in decades.

um no he said that insulin in and of itself is dangerous for the body and the more you take the more you body needs more and more and it harms your body and makes your diabetes worse. I said they quit cold turkey BEFORE doing keto. but he said a person had to be fasting 3 days before they started burning fat which is WRONG as you burn fat in a deficit. and it wasnt my question I also said nothing about taking insulin and fasting either.

I said STOPPING insulin before doing KETO,not IF or anything else. as for those fasting while taking insulin I would not suggest doing anything unless under the advice or a dr and one who is monitoring the patient closely.many do find fasting though for a short time do have improvements in their IR and their glucose readings,for some its the opposite. I also wouldnt suggest not eating for 3 days either.

you have hypoglycemia and hyperglyemia mixed up. hyper means too much sugar in the blood and it can also mean ketoacidosis- https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperglycemia/hyperglycemia-when-your-blood-glucose-level-goes-too-high

-hypo means low blood sugar -hypoglycemia-https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/preventing-problems/low-blood-glucose-hypoglycemia

oh and as for one killing you faster than another. try being in a car with someone whos sugar gets too low and they start hallucinating and pass out.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072694/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072688/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    oh and both type 1 and 2 can kill you if left untreated .also in type 2 patients there is something called hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome that can happen as well.while in those with type 2 KA is rare it can still happen. neither one is something to mess with. and many here with type 1 have also done keto and got their insulin to a level that works for them in a healthy way. meds are another thing that can cause issues in those with type 1 and 2
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think some criticisms of Fung come because people tend to forget that people with IR are his audience. If you forget that, it can come off that he is saying that insulin = evil for everyone because the main focus on his diet is to reduce insulin levels (through diet, weightloss and IF).

Books like "The Obesity Code" seem to be marketed towards everyone with a concern about their weight, not people with a specific diagnosis of IR.

Obesity code is marketed more towards everyone than the book we were discussing in this thread, which is called Diabetes Code.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    you have hypoglycemia and hyperglyemia mixed up. hyper means too much sugar in the blood and it can also mean ketoacidosis- https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditions/hyperglycemia/hyperglycemia-when-your-blood-glucose-level-goes-too-high

-hypo means low blood sugar -hypoglycemia-https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/preventing-problems/low-blood-glucose-hypoglycemia

oh and as for one killing you faster than another. try being in a car with someone whos sugar gets too low and they start hallucinating and pass out.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072694/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0072688/

I think you need to re-read my post. I know that hypo means low and hyper means high. I don't know why you think you're teaching me that hypoglycemia is dangerous when that's exactly what I wrote.

Let this be clear: severe hypoglycemia, no matter the cause, is life threatening and an emergency. Severe hyperglycemia happens for hours per day, for weeks on end, in poorly managed diabetics. One is far worse than the other.

Hyperglycemia doesn't CAUSE ketoacidosis, it is a SYMPTOM of ketoacidosis (in a diabetic).