Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent fasting - Dr Jason Fung

Options

Replies

• johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    he also states that using insulin makes your diabetes worse over time. hes made a lot of false claims he just needs to stick with being a nephrologist.

Glucose management is WELL within the interests of a nephrologist.

This is a curious line of attack. Fung isn't a bariatrician or an endocrinologist so he's not entitled to comment on those fields... well are YOU a bariatrician or endocrinologist by chance? If not, what right do you have to opine?

When someone who doesn't have credentials in a field claims that they know better than people who do have credentials in that field, I think anyone has a right to opine that that's shady.

Fung takes a kernel of something that's in his wheelhouse, extrapolates it out to the nth degree, over dramatizes the conclusion, and then uses his own "case studies" as "proof", or cherry picks research that seems to support his claims while flat out ignoring research that refutes it.

And I'd like to add, as others have, that none of this is a knock on IF. It is a great plan for many people to get their diets under control. There are some theories out there that it has other benefits, which may or may not hold up to the necessary further studying and testing. And then there's a lot of miracle cure, click-bait science fiction out there about IF trying to cash in on it's current popularity.

Dodging the whole qualification debate but if he is suggesting a type of diet combined with intermittent fasting to reduce medication to control T2D and it helps in any way, isn't this a good thing? I am assuming that the individual would either be under a doctors care or knowledgeable in how to monitor their insulin levels so they don't exceed levels that could cause harm. I am very anti medication so if I am told I need medication I will try any method possible to correct the need for it if possible.

I think some criticisms of Fung come because people tend to forget that people with IR are his audience. If you forget that, it can come off that he is saying that insulin = evil for everyone because the main focus on his diet is to reduce insulin levels (through diet, weightloss and IF).

Books like "The Obesity Code" seem to be marketed towards everyone with a concern about their weight, not people with a specific diagnosis of IR.

Obesity code is marketed more towards everyone than the book we were discussing in this thread, which is called Diabetes Code.

The point is that he's marketing his IR-specific strategy as if it's the only key to weight loss for *everyone*. That's what I have an issue with. Anyone claiming that people with IR are his audience are ignoring that he is attempting to expand the definition of "people with IR" to anyone who has weight they'd like to lose.

I wonder what percentage of the overweight population is pre- diabetic, IR or pre IR if there is such a term? If it is significant he may not be as far off as you suggest. I don't know if numbers exist on this but was just throwing it out there. I would also guess that there is a huge % that doesn't even know they have any of these issues.

But you are just guessing. As you said, you don't know. So, why speculate?

IIRC, nvketokom was IR without being substantially overweight. Possibly I'm mistaken. But there are those in whom this is the case. Its generally a bad idea to draw sweeping conclusions based on a guess.

If Fung is saying it is true (and he is), then pointing out that it could be true and we just have no way of knowing for sure isn't a very good defense of Fung.

I have seen him in an interview on YouTube but I must admit I was not riveted to the screen. I know very little about his message but I get the sense that there is a knee jerk reaction around here to basically describe him as a unqualified liar intent on deception, practicing outside of his field and offering dangerous advice. He may not be the best doctor for all people but I suspect he has more redeeming qualities than most here are willing admit. Disagreeing with him is fine but when a group starts looking more like bullies using derogatory adjectives like quack, money grabber, unqualified, outside his field I get suspicious. MD's must study a great deal of medical information both in their specialty and outside of it. It is not unreasonable for his research to go outside of his narrow specialty especially if it may be related. I think it may be a bit much for a bunch of MFP armchair quarterbacks with a lesser degree to rip apart a MD and his qualification's because they dislike the message.

If you know little about his message, I'm unsure why you are doubting those of us who have paid attention to what he is saying and have concerns.

What basis do you have for suspecting that those who have concerns *based on listening to and reading his own words* are wrong and you -- who haven't -- are right? I think at this point you're just have sympathies for someone you consider to be of "your tribe" and feel compelled to defend him even though you aren't quite sure what you're defending.

Before concluding that those who have been exposed to his message and have concerns are bullies having a "knee jerk reaction" and you're the only one acting rationally (despite your admission that you aren't even sure what you're defending), maybe you could actually expose yourself to what he is saying.

Because this last post of yours right here, it's just how you feel about *us*. It has nothing to do with Fung. It can't because you don't know anything more about him than "Well, doctors study a lot and he's a doctor, right?" and "I don't like it when I think people are calling Fung a liar."

Do you have a response to the specific concerns people have brought up about Fung's statements? Keep in mind that people can be right in a critique even if the manner in which they express it rubs you the wrong way. I don't understand why you think your "sense" about Fung should override what he actually says and does.

I think I will check out more information on Dr. Fung. I didn't say that he should not be a topic of debate. It was when I saw the negativity that belittled his education and relied on derogatory names by some I became suspicious that anything he comments on is being taken in small parts to be bashed and not as a whole. I do not know him or his work but suspect he may not be getting treated fairly by people that are likely less educated in the medical field then his is. It is not his content I am talking about here but the way some choose to knock him down only by personal negativity. To agree with that I would have to believe he is doctor bent on destroying people to benefit his own wealth. Debate away and I will try to see how bad he really is.

My problem with Fung is that he overgeneralizes. His work that shows that fasting and LCHF reduces insulin, IR and tends to promote weight loss in those with IR is good. I think he needs to make it more clear that it isn't a one size fits all solution. His ideas are great for some, but not all - like every diet.

If you want to look at his work, Obesity Code is his first book. He has one on fasting, and then Diabetes Code. I quite like his talks for the layperson. He is good at bringing it to a level that most will understand.

Exactly what "work" would that be. And no cherry picked one sided books don't count and neither does a 3 patient case series.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I could not agree more. Moreover, I don't see anyone attacking him personally. Yes, he being called a quack but that is justified by his writings and claims. He may truly be sincere but, based on the evidence, he is sincerely wrong. FTR, I have read one of his books and enough of his online writing to understand his hypothesis and approach and their flaws. Before someone want to defend him, it would be helpful of they actually knew what he claims and why.

I wasn't so much defending him but pointing out that he, in my opinion may be getting some harsh treatment. I don't have to know you to determine that people are treating you harshly or disrespecting you. You are justifying classifying him as a quack because you disagree with his opinion or research. I will take your challenge to understand what he is about and see if I can find where according to him all obesity has IR and how it is impossible to resolve without his specific plan. It sounds narrow and far fetched but I will try.

When someone puts themselves out in public, suggesting they know the way, being critical when they are wrong isn't harsh treatment.

We hold people who present themselves as experts to a higher standard. They are the ones who make the claim that they hold some expertise. To hold them to their own stated standards is not treating them harshly, it is taking them at their word and holding them to it.

What would be cruel and harsh treatment is to not call out such statements when they exist. The harm that can be done to those who fail to critically analyze what is being presented is very real.

Being cruel is not the analysis and critique of his argument, but making fun of him for some unrelated aspect such as his appearance, or his spouse, or his heritage, or some other unrelated characteristic.

Being critical of his argument is anything but cruel.

A doctor can debate another doctor and it is part of the normal process of getting published and proving or disproving a hypothesis. I doubt the robust debate starts with "hey you money grabbing self serving liar quack..." .
    I wasn't supporting his content and you are free to rip it to shreds. It was only the use of insulting terms and belittling of his education I thought was over the top.

I did watch one of his lectures last night and I think I see what the problem is but I will need to read some books to get more background on Dr. Fung.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    This would be very dangerous depending what kind of diabetic a person is.