November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Welcome dewit, dunno I'm still pretty new round here myself but I would say just set yourself a running goal, even if it's to run once per week, and consider yourself one of the madhouse members!

So following yesterday's dreadmill torture I was happy to get out for today's nice easy 5k recovery run. It had been raining but had stopped. I toyed with leaving my nasty plastic raincoat that feels like running in a sauna behind as it wasn't raining but luckily common sense stepped in and told me "better safe than sorry". Well about half a kilometre into my run the heavens opened. You know when your feet are so wet you stop even worrying about trying to avoid puddles? Yeah, that was me by kilometre 2. Drowned rat mode firmly switched on.
    I actually enjoy running in the rain once I get used to the soggy feet feeling, and even that wasn't too bad in today's sock/shoe combination. Must check for blisters later but so far everything feels fine. Good to know for the future! I did find my favourite leggings take on a funning texture when they get wet that rubbed a little and left me with blotchy thighs.... also good to know for the future. (Note to self.... if there's any chance of rain on race day don't wear the grey leggings!)
    The only thing I don't like about running in the rain is that as I have a crappy basic fitbit that is useless at calculating my pace (I got my 5k race PR by mistake thanks to my fitbit on a race I had no intention of actually racing.... it told me my pace was a full MINUTE per kilometre slower than it actually was!!! No wonder it felt so tough!) I rely on my phone to keep track of my pace and (more importantly) interval times as I'm currently doing run 9 minutes, walk 1 minute to keep injuries at bay. The rain today was heavy enough to still make me worry about my sandwich bag phone protection method failing, meaning in the end I had to stick it inside my belt inside my jacket and forget about walk breaks for the last half. Must investigate better phone protection, or buy lottery tickets to enable me to get a better (waterproof) watch!

2/11: 7km
    4/11: 11km
    6/11: 7km
    7/11: 5km
    9/11: 7km
    11/11: 13km
    13/11: 8km
    14/11: 5km
    16/11: 8km
    18/11: 10km
    20/11: 8km
    21/11: 5.5km
    November goal: 125km. Completed so far: 94.5km
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Just got an email saying my 5 mile race on thanksgiving has been canceled and that we will be running a 5k instead because it’s going to be really cold here on thanksgiving day. I’m so mad because I’ve trained for the last couple of months to build up to a 10K distance for nothing! Ugh!
    Run the route twice? Or do a 2.5k each warmup and cooldown?
    dewit wrote: »
    wow, you people run a lot! Since you accept walking and treadmill, silly question: does biking count?
    I only run once a week, on good weeks (plan to run tonight). My goal would be really low.
    On the other hand, I bike to work, about 18 miles a day, 3-4 times a week. Would find it cool to quantify that. Particularly since winter might prevent me for sticking with it.

So... am I in? Or do I have to find myself a biking thread? The intro was just way too welcoming and nice...

I found that the folks on the biking thread seemed out of my league. Since running is my main thing, I hang out here and sometimes include my rides in my progress reports. Of course, you're cycling more than me. But any running/walking goal here is acceptable, so I'd say you're in!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    wow, you people run a lot! Since you accept walking and treadmill, silly question: does biking count?
    I only run once a week, on good weeks (plan to run tonight). My goal would be really low.
    On the other hand, I bike to work, about 18 miles a day, 3-4 times a week. Would find it cool to quantify that. Particularly since winter might prevent me for sticking with it.

So... am I in? Or do I have to find myself a biking thread? The intro was just way too welcoming and nice...

Biking is fine with me!. It just another form of running right? I tried the cycling thread too and expected it to be like this one. It wasn't. We have a few avid cyclists, @ddmom0811 and @Ohhim (ironman. whos on hiatus-but tends to return now and then). Several of us run, bike swim and lift (yoga, etc..) to various degrees.

It's too cold here to bike outside. But i have my bike on the trainer. Your participation here may encourage me to get on it more often, so don't wander off too quickly on us :wink:

Join us on Strava if you are incline to use it. Just search for the mfp running challenge.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Ditched c210k, because I dreaded running. Have started a nike+ running program tonight, and I generally like those. So just 1km today.
    @rheddmobile I would suggest making a salad without a leafy base if you want a salad then. A broccoli salad, or a carrot salad, or a not vegetable based salad (like panzanella/bread salad). Hopefully you don't get sick from lunch.
    exercise.png

I'm diabetic - all those suggestions are significantly higher carb than lettuce at a meal which is already extremely high carb. The salad was the single thing I could eat and relax, knowing it wouldn't spike me any more than I was already spiked. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm trying not to be grumpy. My relatives don't make being a diabetic at holidays easy, they seem to think I can sit around all day with elevated levels because "It's just one day," but first of all elevated levels don't FEEL good, and second, no, I am not willing to make myself physically sick just to be sociable. I'm going to brave the dreaded grocery store day before Thanksgiving crowd when I head out to pick up my race packet for the Turkey Trot this morning, wish me well finding some non-romaine lettuce! Finding a pie pan earlier was impossible!

@rheddmobile that really sucks. My sister in law has the same problem, we don't have Thanksgiving here but I know she really dreads Christmas at our mother in law's place for that exact reason. We plan to leave all the kids with their grandma and escape to run together this year to try and balance it out a bit :-D
    I know very little about it, but what about courgettes (think they're called zuchini in America?) I understand they're not too high in carbs and I adore them cause they're so low calorie I can stuff my face with them to pad out meals on rest days!

Good luck battling the festive-crazy crowds!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile maybe baby spinach?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Biking is fine with me!. It just another form of running right? I tried the cycling thread too and expected it to be like this one. It wasn't.

this is a running thread? Oh. I thought it was just a bunch of people who eat a lot of ice cream and hot dogs and talk about how cold/hot it is.....

I did wonder why some people talked about pace and races..... :D

Also lettuce.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i slept, i did not run. 5k tomorrow. i think i'll do the runners world streak for the holidays. maybe it will get me back in the habit. maybe i need to streak or i don't run.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    OFF TOPIC BUT IMPORTANT FOR USA READERS:

a3udufjl5s1j.png

Details: https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/index.html

That's why I don't eat salad 🤣
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Well, my wife just signed us up for the "Danish Dash 5K" - It is a student project at my son's high school. I am sure ti will be very well organized and all that.

I guess if it is all fat out of shape parents running it I have a chance to win? LOL

But will there be danish at the end?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Well, my wife just signed us up for the "Danish Dash 5K" - It is a student project at my son's high school. I am sure ti will be very well organized and all that.

I guess if it is all fat out of shape parents running it I have a chance to win? LOL

But will there be danish at the end?

this is the most important question.
    i felt our local drumstick dash was a misnomer. nowhere were drumsticks to be found.
    i'm not sure what cinnamon rolls have to do with thanksgiving but i do the turkey trot for one instead of a banana -and there is usually one or two turkey costumers trotting along
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,061 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @Elise4270: thank you for your welcoming words! Biking is the only exercise/sports I can do without guilty feelings :wink: . As a working mum, I find it hard to sacrifice my time with the kids to additionally do something for myself. Once I discovered that I can commute bike, I felt like killing two flies with one slap :smiley:

@dewit I totally get the mom guilt! It kept me from really committing to myself and my own health for a long time. Bike commuting is an awesome way to get what you need without the pressure of the guilt creeping in!! And remember, your kids want you around for a good long while, so take care of yourself. The few hours a week for you can mean years of extra time! Sometimes I need to be reminded of that for sure!