November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I'm also training for hiking in the Pyrenees in January, and an even bigger long distance trek across the Isle of Skye in May.
    If I didn't already have plans to be somewhere else in May... that sounds awesome.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    No run today I just ran out of time...

@PastorVincent Haha, loved it! I know, it hasn't been funny for you. :neutral:

This snow takes me by surprise :disappointed::smile: , I still hope I can bike tomorrow.
    Does walking count? I got off the bus two stops earlier, just to extra walk (had be walking here and there yesterday, just to compensate a bit...).
    Do you people run when it snows? I find even walking a challenge, it feels so slippery under my feet...

If you have good trail shoes you should be okay running in snow, but it takes some learning how to run in it. I won't run in glare ice, it's just too slick. Memphis gets a lot of glare ice - rains during the day then freezes on surfaces at night.

There are ways to run even on glare ice, if you have yaktrax or screw shoes, but since it's usually only a couple of days at a time here I just skip it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for hiking in the Pyrenees in January, and an even bigger long distance trek across the Isle of Skye in May.
    If I didn't already have plans to be somewhere else in May... that sounds awesome.

Ha ha. It’s billed as a ‘challenging route aimed at experienced hillwalkers’ with no signposts and requiring extensive self-navigation.
    I am not an experienced hillwalker, have barely done any backpacking in the wilds and certainly nothing multi-day and currently the group is struggling even to work out how to get to the start (what kind of place has no buses on weekends?) so heaven help us!!!
    I might have to do a lot of training before then!!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    (ops meant to credit that back to a post on the FB group)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

This snow takes me by surprise :disappointed::smile: , I still hope I can bike tomorrow.
    Does walking count? I got off the bus two stops earlier, just to extra walk (had be walking here and there yesterday, just to compensate a bit...).
    Do you people run when it snows? I find even walking a challenge, it feels so slippery under my feet...

After a bunch of research and great advice here and elsewhere, I went to a store that specializes in trail shoes and got a pair of these. I’ve only taken them out in snow a couple of times so far this year but they absolutely made a huge difference.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options

If you have good trail shoes you should be okay running in snow, but it takes some learning how to run in it. I won't run in glare ice, it's just too slick. Memphis gets a lot of glare ice - rains during the day then freezes on surfaces at night.

There are ways to run even on glare ice, if you have yaktrax or screw shoes, but since it's usually only a couple of days at a time here I just skip it.

Another shoe question....

I will be doing my first trail run 5k on Saturday. No snow, but it will be rainy. My current fav running shoe is an AT shoe. I would consider them to be minimally offroadish.

I have a WONDERFUL pair of Keen hikers that feel like a runner. Although heavier, they provide great stability. Considering the trail will be wet and it is quite steep - 2x loop with 800' elevation change, so ups and downs...

Would I be better off to use my tried and true ATs, or play it safe and wear the keens? I feel like the keens will be more slip resistant. I am in the Mountains of N. Ga - so will be dealing with wet grasses and slick red clay mud.

I imagine this will be more of a walk/jog than a run. I am leaning towards the keens. All feedback welcome - even if you are telling me I am overthinking this :D
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @beka3695 are the keens shoes, mid-ankle or boots?

If boots, they may not have enough 'give' around the ankle, but I have run in 'walking shoes' before now.

If it's rainy and muddy, you'll appreciate the bigger lugs on the sole which provide grip. Having said that, if the lugs on the Keens are close together, then that sticky red clay mud will become your worst nightmare, making your feet bigger and bigger and your soles heavier....

I'd probably go with the Keens myself. Better to be slowed down and stay fracture free than spend your race slipping and sliding.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

@dewit As @polskagirl01 said running in snow-icy conditions really makes you concentrate on your form - foot landing under neath your hips and a gentle pushoff to reduce toe breakout.
    Good Trail Shoes
    i5tkedxjii45.jpg

or old road shoes with screws added as ice-traction cleats.
    ypk78fmp2iog.jpg

koyuq87ugwuk.jpg

dm2ns7f2ql0k.jpg

dy3g5jg3odcn.jpg

Also the shoes you walked home in did they have a traction foot-bed or a stylish flat base with no traction?
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @beka3695 are the keens shoes, mid-ankle or boots?

If boots, they may not have enough 'give' around the ankle, but I have run in 'walking shoes' before now.

If it's rainy and muddy, you'll appreciate the bigger lugs on the sole which provide grip. Having said that, if the lugs on the Keens are close together, then that sticky red clay mud will become your worst nightmare, making your feet bigger and bigger and your soles heavier....

I'd probably go with the Keens myself. Better to be slowed down and stay fracture free than spend your race slipping and sliding.

The Keens are a hiking shoe. More like a cross trainer - wide toe box. Thanks for agreeing with me :-)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 Rest
    11-2 7k intervals
    11-3 7k easy
    11-4 10.5k slow
    11-5 7k recovery
    11-6 Rest
    11-7 7k intervals
    11-8 7k easy
    11-9 Rest
    11-10 7k
    11-11 10.5k slow
    11-12 7k recovery
    11-13 Rest
    11-14 7k intervals
    11-15 7k recovery
    11-16 Rest
    11-17 7k easy
    11-18 10.5k slow
    11-19 7k recovery
    11-20 Rest
    11-21 7k intervals
    11-22 7k easy
    11-23 Rest
    11-24 7k easy
    11-25 7k slow
    11-26 7k easy
    11-27 Rest

November total: 143.5k
    November goal: 150k

Scheduled rest day today. Don't have to run in the snow on top of ice from last night's rain turning to snow weather. Supposed to be more snow tonight; but it looks like I will indeed be able to make my goal.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else read this article in Runner's World on the new physical activity guidelines for adults but they haven't really changed much. What really got me was the line in bold!
    'Experts still recommend that adults log at least 150 minutes to 300 minutes moderate-intensity (say, like brisk walking) each week, or 75 minutes to 150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, like running. An equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity would work, too.
    The guidelines still continue to emphasize the importance of a balanced exercise routine. You should be shooting for two or more days of strength training a week, too.
    You’re probably already familiar with those numbers, but they definitely deserve repeating, since the majority of Americans are falling short of those guidelines. In fact, 50 percent of Americans don’t meet the recommended 150 to 300 minutes per week of moderate-intensity physical activity and 30 percent of people report no physical activity at all'
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins @PastorVincent @girlinahat & others I have Reynaud's. Have had it for many years, mainly my hands & feet, but in some instances, will happen with my nose, too. And it can happen anytime I get chilled, inside or out, winter (Even a pseudo-one like down here in Florida!) or summer. There have been many days at work where I am sitting on my hands because they are white, into purple because it is so cold in the center. And yes, when he blood starts flowing back in - YOWZA!