November 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I get Raynauds and it tends to be a change in temperature thing for me. So it’s less about what the actual outside temperature is, and more about the sudden drop. It doesn’t matter if it’s 12 degrees C or -35 degrees C, I can suddenly get an attack.

There is little that can be done. Some people try reducing caffeine as it’s a vasoconstrictor, but I like coffee. Come people have luck with using ‘wristies’ wrist warmers, which keep the veins in the wrists warmer and by extension keep the blood vessels in the fingers open longer than without. It’s also about management of your environment – I put my gloves on before getting in the car in winter (our winters are mild) , and even then it can take 20-30 minutes of the heater on to feel the tips of at least three of my fingers, and for them to go from pure white to ‘normal’.

given your heart history, having Raynaud's symptoms doesn't surprise me, even if that's not the actual cause.

Yeah I can be in the truck and be overheated from the heater, but fingers are still cold so that I am taking turns driving with one hand and sitting on the other (go go gadget automatic transmission).

I have not heard about wristies? I usually stick a handwarmer in my glove. I have never found a glove (or mitten) warm enough, but might get one of these gloves that have warmer pockets: https://amzn.to/2SeZX2V

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    When I was in college my doctor said I probably have Raynaud's. I still have issues but I don't get as red/painful since going off the gluten. Like right now, my fingers are cold and it's 70 degrees in the house.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    5.09 km Sunday with Jeremy pushing Baby Beckett in his stroller. -12C and Foggy reduced visibility so we stayed on low traffic roads rather than the prime route which would have more traffic.
    I struggled through this run with tired legs, a combination of Adult Swim club, Curling Friday night, Saturday Misery Mtn Ski Hill loop. Also haven't been getting in the runs that I should so a bit of an unplanned cut-back.

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom Wow what a horrible experience for skip. Sending virtual hugs for both of you. She is young and strong so will survive this bad experience - especially with all the support from you. Hope she is able to transfer to another college and continue her studies. Considering how bad her communal dorm experience was I would suggest private off campus accommodation where she would have more control and security, and MaMa would have less concerns about bad influences.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    11-1 Rest
    11-2 7k intervals
    11-3 7k easy
    11-4 10.5k slow
    11-5 7k recovery
    11-6 Rest
    11-7 7k intervals
    11-8 7k easy
    11-9 Rest
    11-10 7k
    11-11 10.5k slow
    11-12 7k recovery
    11-13 Rest
    11-14 7k intervals
    11-15 7k recovery
    11-16 Rest
    11-17 7k easy
    11-18 10.5k slow
    11-19 7k recovery
    11-20 Rest
    11-21 7k intervals
    11-22 7k easy
    11-23 Rest
    11-24 7k easy
    11-25 7k slow
    11-26 7k easy

November total: 143.5k
    November goal: 150k

Rainy and 45 degrees F today. Just did the minimum.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    When I was in college my doctor said I probably have Raynaud's. I still have issues but I don't get as red/painful since going off the gluten. Like right now, my fingers are cold and it's 70 degrees in the house.

72 in here and my fingers are cold, just not painfully so.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Raynauds is quite distinct - the tips of your fingers will go white. It's not so much them feeling cold (which obviously they do) but it's the loss of blood flow to the fingers that marks it out.

It's similar to Vibration White Finger, which is a hazard of the construction industry
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Raynauds is quite distinct - the tips of your fingers will go white. It's not so much them feeling cold (which obviously they do) but it's the loss of blood flow to the fingers that marks it out.

It's similar to Vibration White Finger, which is a hazard of the construction injury.

sounds a bit like a scary story by Poe or Wells
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I get Raynauds and it tends to be a change in temperature thing for me. So it’s less about what the actual outside temperature is, and more about the sudden drop. It doesn’t matter if it’s 12 degrees C or -35 degrees C, I can suddenly get an attack.

There is little that can be done. Some people try reducing caffeine as it’s a vasoconstrictor, but I like coffee. Come people have luck with using ‘wristies’ wrist warmers, which keep the veins in the wrists warmer and by extension keep the blood vessels in the fingers open longer than without. It’s also about management of your environment – I put my gloves on before getting in the car in winter (our winters are mild) , and even then it can take 20-30 minutes of the heater on to feel the tips of at least three of my fingers, and for them to go from pure white to ‘normal’.

given your heart history, having Raynaud's symptoms doesn't surprise me, even if that's not the actual cause.

Yeah I can be in the truck and be overheated from the heater, but fingers are still cold so that I am taking turns driving with one hand and sitting on the other (go go gadget automatic transmission).

I have not heard about wristies? I usually stick a handwarmer in my glove. I have never found a glove (or mitten) warm enough, but might get one of these gloves that have warmer pockets: https://amzn.to/2SeZX2V
    My sister gets it. Only she called it by the fancy Latin name, "digitus mortuus" (which, if you understand a bit of Latin, is an accurate description of the way the fingers look >:) ). She has one of these sheepskin steering wheel covers. It looks ridiculous, but apparently it helps a lot - might be an alternative to sitting on a hand the entire drive?
    I hadn't heard the term "wristies" before, I think I know them as "pulse warmers". Like wrist sweatbands but made of fleece or knit from wool. I don't have Raynaud's, but I find they help some when you are in a cold place but can't wear gloves.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

It's similar to Vibration White Finger, which is a hazard of the construction industry

No idea if they change color like that. I normally have them balled up inside mitten/glove and am not studying them. Regardless if they do or not they get painfully cold very very quickly. Those handwarmers (the kind you shake and they generate heat for like 10 hours) are the only help. Nothing else works. Same with the toes. Wool socks get me a few more degrees, but not much.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

My sister gets it. Only she called it by the fancy Latin name, "digitus mortuus" (which, if you understand a bit of Latin, is an accurate description of the way the fingers look >:) ). She has one of these sheepskin steering wheel covers. It looks ridiculous, but apparently it helps a lot - might be an alternative to sitting on a hand the entire drive?
    I hadn't heard the term "wristies" before, I think I know them as "pulse warmers". Like wrist sweatbands but made of fleece or knit from wool. I don't have Raynaud's, but I find they help some when you are in a cold place but can't wear gloves.

Haha! Love it! I have it also.They definitely look dead! My pinky and a big toe are the worst. I usually have to hot water my feet. I'm lucky enough that i have a heated steering wheel .
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Again you all are the best. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I have a 5K to run tonight the Galaxy of Lights. It’s s run at the Botanical Gardens through the Christmas displays. I talked some of my girlie friends into going and now I have zero desire to go. Skip is the 4 time defending champ in her AG but she wasn’t supposed to be here so I didn’t sign her up and it’s sold out. One of the girls in her AG says yeah now I have a chance ha ha too funny.

Yay, that sounds like a great venue and a way to take your mind off of things for about 30 minutes.

Yes, I have it. Both hands and toes. They turn dead white and stay that way for about an hour after I get inside. It is very painful. Have gone though many pair of gloves trying to find some that will prevent it. Haven't found any yet.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I know where you are!!! I LOVE YOUR TOWN!!! My husband worked there for many months on a telecom project. He had an apartment near the university and I would run from there to the private university. Our last visit (September) we stayed in downtown and I ran the streets in Old Town. OMG the houses there are BEAUTIFUL! I hope I was vague enough not to give away your location :-)

We love it there and have considered relocating!!!!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    edited November 2018
    Options

Yes, mine get more than cold. But that's usually how it starts. And it's more than just cold. I don't have a word to really describe how they feel.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent do you hands change colour when they get really cold? Do they go numb or tingly and painful when they warm up again? Could be Raynaud's?

So I looked it up

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20363571

Maybe? I dunno that I noticed them go white/blue, but definitely red and definitely tingle/etc. It is pretty sudden too. I mean at 50F degrees I am fine no issues at all. At 45F it is too painful to continue.

But that Mayo clinic page pretty much says nothing can be done. So guess does not matter that much.

i9gn3kxmhtx9.jpeg

That was during my HM on Sunday after they'd warmed up.

Before that, they were multicoloured white, blue, purple.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @orphia @girlinahat @RunsOnEspresso @_nikkiwolf_

Might be some other horrible issue, I dunno. All I know is that it sucks and it puts a way higher limit on my cold weather running than if I did not have it. 50F is about as cold as I can run without hand warmers. Hand/toe warmers only work to so cold. Probably not much below 20F.

I will check for colors, but I know it is very painful, and tingly when trying to rewarm up in water. It could simply be a side effect of my heart condition too but I have been told my circulation is fine.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @pastorvince sounds exactly like what mine do. I don't get blue or white but really red. I used to try to help in the frozen/dairy dept at the grocery store I worked at but it would be so painful, even in summer. My doctor said it was raynauds. 🤷🏼‍♀️