• perris6966
    perris6966 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ahh good luck 👍
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    NYKaren - What a dream!i felt twinges of my own as I read your description! I hope you get some real-life hugs today! My memory of my second child, who was born after her dad was allowed in the labor room (Not delivery, though.), when they laid her on my chest to rest while the doctor took care of other business, was very special indeed. We knew each other from the start.

Lanette, I have severe osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia, and there does seem to be a sugar connection. However, my rheumatologist identified the worst culprit - interrupted sleep. He claimed we don’t wake up because we hurt…we hurt because we wake up. I now take a very mild sleeping medicine and my pain is down to less than half most days.

Katla! Whine away! We can always scroll down! 😉

Barbara, AHMOD, cougars? You must live further into the “wild ‘n woolies” than I’d envisioned. I’m on a mountain in the middle of a state forest and my neighbors have only seen one once in 20 years we’ve been here. Whoo!

Beth near Buffalo - Oh no! Although I DO hate walking on eggshells, I’m always afraid I’ll be the first to dent a new(ish) car. Better them than me!

Oh dear, Jo! Sounds like an ill wind!

I have a song chorus running in my head! It goes, “Scatterin’ lime on the septic tank! Scatterin’ lime on the septic tank! Scatterin’ lime on the Septic Tank! To make it all grow green, Oh!” Don’t ask where that came from, just pick your own tune and sing along. A great song for scrubbing the toilet.

• SarahKratos
    SarahKratos Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have very negative childhood memories but I have fond memories of watching my children learn how to play hockey at the early age of three. They could hardly skate and when they lifted their stick to hit the puck they would tip over like dominos. It was funny to watch as most all of them would be scrambling to get back up off of the ice :o:)

Sarah
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,073 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...

lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

So ...

Nov 1 - my roses. :)
    Nov 2 - social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.

Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.

M in Oz

Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)

Machka in Oz

• trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Lanette, your elevation down there is about the same as mine here in Issaquah. And if I don’t actually GET snow, I can always see it on the slope of Tiger Mountain above us. So beautiful!

Lisa in AR, Allie & KJ (Kelly), what wonderful memories! And you tell them with truly touching simplicity. I teared up at all. Allie, I remember Sardines very well, and trying to suppress giggles when we were hiding together. Also Monster Tag played out of doors on summer evenings with “it” carrying a flashlight, and had to hold it on you for 3 seconds for you to be out. That got to be a LOT more interesting when we were about 12 or 13. I got my first kiss during a game of Monster Tag!

Cindy, Welcome. Do check with your doctor about protein levels. It really helps keep hunger away when I get plenty of protein.

Rita, I hope you were warmer than you look! I love Skype and FaceTime!

Elizabeth, both the corgi and your spouse are darling.

Welcome, Rene! We are indeed a talkative bunch! Tuscany is on my Post Weight Loss List.

Margaret, my second husband ran for school board once in a small town in Oregon. This was the early 70s, and he came in 2nd out of four because his hair was over his ears and he had a mustache, lol! I don’t know what they’d have made of my late dearest. He had a Santa Claus length white beard and long silver hair below his shoulder blades, and he rode a motorcycle. He was also a house-husband. I was a Teamster, had short curly hair then, and lived my family, but loved working too. We were a perfect pair.

Paige, I honor your dad’s memory. The Korean War was a Big Scary Thing when I was a girl. My cousin served in that one as a pilot. We lost a lot of them, but it was men like your dad, on the ground in the bitter winter cold who held the line and defended those hills. Tough job.

Barbie, I know it’s a pain, but I’m glad you found that mold and water damage. It can wreak havoc if it’s not found. Hurrah for the last 3 daffodil bulbs. I love that mine come up and spread a bit more every year.

Sarah, I’m glad you gave your children happy memories! I’ve tried hard to do that with mine and with my grandkids with skywatch parties to watch meteor showers, camping trips complete with ending sleeping in the car because I’d pitched our tent in a beautiful grassy spot between 4 trees that also happened to be the lowest spot in the campground when the rain came. So many adventures! My mom taught me to see the adventure in everything and to make my own when life felt too dull. She’d but my brother and I a bag of White Castle hamburgers and take us down to the little river near our house and teach us to skip stones.

Sharon near Seattle
  • Machka9
    Options
    Me ... these days ...

4k9iyeae32bv.png

(And incidentally, no, Tasmanian Devils don't actually spin. :grin: )

Every time I think I'm getting on top of things ... there's more!! I hardly know where to begin.

One of the things that has happened is that my husband's good carer has left to spend some time with her mother who isn't doing so well with her health. I didn't realise how much I'd miss her!! We're at Thursday, so it has been 3.5 days without her and I want her back!! She was organised and had several things under control ... now I'm having to do those things. Also, we have one carer who we met about 6 weeks ago, and she's all right but so far doesn't do a whole lot ... then last night we had to meet another carer who seems nice enough, but just a bit scattered.

So on top of everything else, I'm trying to coordinate their hours based on their availability and personality ... as in, who is most likely to take him for a walk or help him in the garden, and when. Things like that.

Machka in Oz
  • marilynbeth2
    marilynbeth2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm having a stressful time. My adult sons moved in with me. I worry about my younger son since he just changed jobs. I started a new exercise routine at the gym since I was given the ok to exercise after an injury. I've join MFP when I shifted to maintenance mode. I'm eating less than I should. I lost three pounds the last two weeks of October, but the weight loss has stalled since.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired.
    Going to bed, will post gratitutes in the a.m.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    This time of year is filled with thougts and memories of the thousands that lost their lives fighting for the country. Bless them all and their families. It's another painful memory for me as the 12th Nov is my late daughters birthday. She has left us such lovely memories that will last forever.

Stay safe and well everyone.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Taking myself to the cinema today (DH is not a movie goer, he will watch on TV though) The film is based on a real incident that happened in Manchester which is 40 mins away from us. It was the Peterloo Massacre where troops opened fire on civilians. One of those events which seem to be forgotten in our history.
    DH and I watched a film on Netflix last night Hacksaw Ridge WW2 about Desmond Doss who served as a medic but would not handle a rifle, what a brave man, I was in tears.

Kate UK <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Karen in VA - I do SO miss thunderstorms! It’s not that we don’t have them here, but they’re a pale imitation of the ones in summer in Ohio. That being said, we had one last fall here that was the most intense and dramatic I’ve ever seen. It lasted for six or seven hours off and on, with several strikes I could see through my acrylic roof on my sleeping porch that appeared to be directly overhead. We had the internet knocked out all over our community here on the mountainside due to a fried router in the main office, and several tree strikes just behind my and the neighbors’ house. It would diminish a little, then roar back to life with assaults of rain and bolts coming closer and closer, then lumbering off to the north to terrorize the rest of the Puget Sound Area. What an experience!

Sharon near Seattle

I also miss thunderstorms.

In Manitoba, we used to get decent thunderstorms frequently throughout the summer ... here in Tasmania, we get a few thunderstorms that last about 5 minutes. There are a couple flashes of lightning, a half-hearted rumble of thunder, and that's it.

Except last May. Last May we had a major storm here ... they're still cleaning up from that one!!

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Lanette, had to look up the 8th house... sounds like the "Twilight" house to me... :devil:
    Tracey SWSY=Strong Women Stay Young. Dr. Nelson studied women and lifting weights, found most efficient, doable way to build strength and bone. Great book, recommended by Barbie.
    Heather hope that curry cures your DH's chest cold. The one time I was in Brighton I had bronchitis from the flight, but a warm rainstorm and some very hot curry cleared it right up!
    Margaret ditto what you said about campaign spending. Smear campaigns are de rigeur these days and it's downright disgusting.
    Elizabeth, cuties the both of them!
    Jo "no more size 16 or 14" VERY well done!
    Barbie so sorry about the kitchen complications. I'd be hiding under the bed with Bernie!
    Sharon Curry county's terrain is rugged and wild. The day we moved (Labor day last year) in there was a pile of bear doo on the lawn. Cougars regularly ravage our neighbors' chicken flocks. One day as I was sitting at my laptop some movement outside the window caught my eye. Only saw the tail end but it was definitely a cougar. Our dogs, while terrier tough, are only 25 lbs and would be juicy bites for Mr. Big Cat.

Welcome CindyJNC and Marilynbeth.

Still can't pick favorite memory, maybe tomorrow.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 7/7, 60 g protein 5/7, rx/vits 7/7, meditate 6/7, knee exercises 7/7, play with Tumble 4/7, core 2/8, SWSY UP 2/8, SWSY LOW 1/8, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 4/6.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,771 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    didn't sleep well woke up around 11 pm and was awake until after 2, I read, I watched a little t.v. finally drifted back off...
    I know where God closes a door he opens a window... things have always worked out for the better in my life, except for those hard things that you just need to work through...
    In the back of my mind is a nagging feeling, not a bad nag but its there, that something is about to change, what it is I don't know.. after all the trials of this year , I am hoping it is for the good.
    after I go feed my DFIL and walk the dogs I will be going up to a town a few towns away to see if they can help me pick a new insurance... I am on what they call access health which I pay for monthly but not really getting the coverage I need, and with pre existing conditions I want something 1 that I can afford and 2 that will give me the over all coverage I need. then from there I need to go to the financial advisor at my credit union and start my IRA working to be able to carry me through retirement , if I will ever be able to retire.. its scary now a days..
    Machka~ oh that looks heavenly to me too...
    well off to the races have 2 loads of laundry going , going to wait to put them in the dryer....
    ta ta for now
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    gratitude #8 (book I am most grateful)- Wow. This is a toughie. I have books that I return to on a yearly basis as a way to center myself, I have the first book I ever read by myself, books that were my children's favorite bedtime books, books I read to my daycare children that fill me with amazement and wonder... I think the book that I have to be most grateful for, as an adult, is one that continually reminds me of gratitude. Revolution in World Missions. It is a Christian book written by K.P. Yohannan, but it is NOT the "God" message that sticks with me, it is how wonderfully he brought to the forefront the huge disparity between life in a developed country vs life in a "2/3 country" (2/3 because 2/3 of the world population lives in poverty). It put gratitude where it needed to be in my life. This book is the reason I fast on Sundays between Lent and Thanksgiving (40 Sundays of mindfulness). Each week, I take what I would have spent on one meal that week ($5-10) and put it into an account and donate it to a charity at the end of the forty Sundays. Life changing book.

KJ (Kelly)