WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Traditions... When the kids lived with me, we put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving and it stayed up until the day after New Year's (Jan 2). We decorated the inside and outside of the house as much as we could afford. On those years that we lived in apartments (and there were many) we decorated the inside of the apartment, the windows and whatever was allowed outside of the apartment (usually the doorway or the balcony). Most years we would have the traditional turkey with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving and for Christmas we'd switch to ham. All four of my kids know how to cook, so they'd help with the dinner. One of the traditions I remember fondly was our holiday bake off -- where we would bake and decorate dozens and dozens of cookies and then give them to our neighbors and the kids' friends. Just because we liked to bake in our house.

A tradition that my first husband (the kids' father) brought to the family and my kids carry on is that Christmas Eve dinner is usually spaghetti with meatballs -- or lasagna. My family's tradition is that every Christmas Eve we open one present. The gifter chooses the present. My current hubby (who is childless) and I still follow that tradition, even though we technically don't celebrate Christmas.

It's interesting to see everyone else's traditions an I wanted to share mine. Since the kids are grown and gone, it's just me and the hubs. We put up our tree whenever both of us feel up to it and we decorate the inside of our house but not the outside of this one (it's a long story). I do like the winter holidays and want to get into the spirit again some day, but for the past few years, I've been sick... just too *sigh* exhausted to deal with it all. But I'm getting better so... here's to hoping. Right?

Willow in WA USA
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    PressingPatience…But I did exercise... first time in years. One of the DVDs I bought the other day.
    Great going! I have fibromyalgia too. A solid night’s sleep is SUPER important to avoid that, but I think I got more than my share yesterday and last night. Sheesh!

Sharon near Seattle
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: For some quirky reason, your calendar brings to mind a song, The Age of Acquarius. . . . :bigsmile:

KJ: Is it Thanksgiving that upsets you, or the retail hype regarding he Christmas shopping season? I know the retail hype bothers me, and I’m thankful that I don’t have to dive in and shop until I drop. :grumble:

(((Heather))) I’m hoping things are okay for your cancer friend and that you hear from her soon. Did you get to keep your previous phone number in the move, or did you have to get a new number? Does she have your current contact information? :flowerforyou:

We are celebrating Thanksgiving today with our niece Diana and her significant other. The family nickname for this holiday meal was created by our son. It is called Saturkey Day, a celebration for family and friends who are unable to share the meal on Thursday. We are celebrating here with our niece and her significant other. Our son & DIL are traveling to Illinois to share the day with our daughter’s family at their new farm. I think that our grandniece and her husband will be there, too. For today’s celebration we made gluten free pumpkin cake for the first time. The batter tasted good, so I’m thinking the cake will, too.

Katla

Katla I mistakenly thought NYKAREN was the one who mentioned Saturkey Day but I see it was your son who coined the term. I predict that it will someday make its way into the Urban Dictionary and your brilliant son may or may not be credited. I love that made up word!

Karen in Virginia
  • trucker743
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I got my hair cut today!
    Last time was maybe May 2017.
    M in Oz

I have had trouble dealing w mine below my shoulder blades, but then, I wore it quite short until 2015. It grows really fast. What do you do with yours at night? Mine itches if it gets on my shoulders.

Sharon near Seattle
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    man69d360els.jpeg
  • trucker743
    Options
    … after three years of not moving around much, my dogs are all kinds of confused that I've gotten up and started dancing around. ^_^

Willow in WA USA

Willow, I just LOVE the “What the HELL, mom?!?” expressions our pets get when we do something out of character! Mine are usually dumbfounded when I spend a whole 12 hours away from home!

Sharon near Seattle
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Afternoon lovelies
    We have been out and about and will go back to the hotel and I plan on taking a nap.
    This has been such a lovely time and we will be leaving in the morning to go back home.
    I have cherished every moment with Doris and right now while I wait for her to poak around a thrift shop I'm chatting with you,I have a pocket full of sea shells and had some water fowl food that I gave to seagulls and to ducks
    Hit a few stores and will have a nice meal out tonight.
    Gosh I love the Cape.
  • trucker743
    Options
    Penny, heading back to the kitchen at the t07190.gif - I love holiday lights of all sorts, so Advent Stars would be right up my alley.

Sharon near Seattle
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    So glad your break ended up great Allie. Beloved horizons are always good for the soul. :D I would love to go to the Cape one day. It's on my bucket list.

Katla - I think the friend I texted must have told my cancer friend I was worried about her. She texted me this morning apologising and saying she wasn't feeling good. She said, " Knackered" She said she hoped to chat this weekend, but I don't hold out much hope. She is exhausted from medical treatments. She tends to withdraw when things get hard. I don't want to pressure her. I sent her loads of love. I tried to send her an ecard, but the ecard was rejected, saying that the recipient had requested that none be sent. :'(
    She knows I care.

This evening I shall be watching a German detective series and a Swedish one. :D:D:D:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Oh Heather~ you would love it,I think the parts you would love the best are Chatham and the upper cape,Wellfleet,Truro and Provincetown...Chatham is very posh and where the well to do went for summers but it is beautiful.. and the upper cape is not as commercial with stunning beaches and sand dunes... with my new phone without a case and not knowing really how to use the camera which is supposed to be wonderful..I haven't attempted pictures, I have been carrying it around in a washcloth lol( dry off course) to keep it in good condition
    bought some fresh cranberries straight from the bog to bring home.. talk about farm to table .. this is bog to table :D
  • trucker743
    Options
    Margaret, I remember when a similar explosion happened about 5 miles from us. I was about 13. It sounded like a block away. We drove by the next day. All that was left of the house were wood splinters about a foot long. Just a lot full of wood splinters. Luckily the family was on vacation. In Ohio most homes had gas heat back then. It left me nervous about gas. I’ve had electric heat most of the places I’ve lived since then. Even wood heat didn’t frighten me as much.

Sharon near Seattle.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lisa won’t a Skype exit interview suffice??? Hate to see you traveling so much now that you’ve gotten your forever home.

Had a lovely outing and will hit the gym A quiet, cloudy but beautifully cold day here

NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Margaret, I am sorry to hear it. I hope those who lived there have shelter. 💔 I also remember an incident during my grade school years. My dad drove us past it a day or so after the explosion.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Margaret ... that is scary! I remember a house blowing up a couple streets over when I was a young girl. Rocked the whole neighborhood. One story said the cause of the explosion was a gas leak. Another story circulating was it was a "warning" from the mob. The house blew to smithereens. The occupants were not home at the time.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    fhkbkqw7ahrr.jpg
    Rocky seeing santa, how I miss him so