WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    As a teacher our vacation was the same as the student breaks. We did get three “personal” days while school was in session but they could not be taken the day immediately before or after a scheduled break. Too many people would want to use the day, and substitutes would be hard to get. When we bought this house, we were scheduled to close two days before Spring break. I was scheduled to chaperone kids for three days of my spring break and really wanted some time in my new house. I wrote a letter to the board asking them to make an exception for me in light of my giving up three days of my break for them. They granted the exception. I would have been mighty upset if they had not. Coworkers have been known to blatantly call in sick, but I could never bring myself to lie.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Another 80+ posts! 😱

Short bio
    I'm 72, and live in Northern Ireland. Married 52 years, and have 2 daughters and 3 grand'kids'.

I'm retired, but work as a volunteer Group leader for a lifelong learning charity. I lead 5 groups, and belong to another 10, so am kept pretty busy. I love the Challenges on MFP as the keep me accountable. I'm assistant coach in charge of an optional strength Challenge for a small walking group.

Pre 2015, when I joined MFP, I had hip problems whichnimpacted my mobility, and gained a lot of weight, which I had to shed to qualify for hip surgery. Lost 40lbs, got a new hip and have lost another 20. Trying to get down to a maintenance weight that gives me wriggle room for high days and holidays. 10 more lbs to go.

I love all things arts and crafts, and am studying Shakespeare, Latin and art history, to name a few.

November Daily Goals Doing fine on the goals, Minor drop on the scale this morning.
    Food
    ~ Pre-log; stay under goal; balance macros/micros; Hydrate adequately
    Cardio:
    ~ 9,500+ Steps daily
    ~ 30+ minutes interval walking
    Strength:
    ~ 15+ mins lower body physio daily or ~ 15+ minutes arms/core/abs
    Flexibility:
    ~ 5 mins stretch before/after workouts
    ~ 10+ mins yoga or tai chi
    Daily Mindfulness Practice/meditation
    15 mins Daily Declutter session

30 days of Gratitude in November
    1) Smell: I Love the smell of my Cocoa Butter Therapy treatment Oil. It reminds me of summer days.
    2) Technology: My Seniors Travel Pass, which allows me to travel free of charge anywhere in Ireland. Including state owned ferries and flights to various offshore islands, such as Rathlin and Aran.
    3) Colour: The clear deep blue of the autumn sky peeping through the rain clouds.
    4) Food: 🍫 What else needs to be said!
    5) Sound - the sound of hubby snoring in the middle of the night. Very reassuring
    6) In Nature - walking along the coastline which is just a mile from my home.
    7) Memory - nursing my 11 day old granddaughter at 6 am on her first Christmas morning.
    8) Book: The book which means the most to me is my Journal. I have been writing Journals for over 20 years. I started in hard-backed notebooks, and they have gone through many reincarnations. There are so many volumes they have their own shelves in my study. At present I am using a bullet Journal format. I also love all things sci-fi and art books.
    6zo9w1lf2tzc.jpeg
    9) Favourite place: My favourite place is my garden. It's quiet and peaceful. It's taken us almost 40 years to create, and we have many mature trees which block out the houses around us. When we started, it was a flat field, with the countryside beyond, and a field of cows directly behind us. Now the town has washed past us, and we are in a leafy suburb.
    28t84zqhv8ns.jpg
    10) Taste: Today, I am grateful for the taste of the cup of tea Hubster just brought me. It reminds me of how fortunate I am to have him in my life.
    11) Holiday: The annual family holiday we have with our elder daughter and her 'children'. I am amazed that they still want to have holidays with their grandparents.
    12) Texture: I like the crunchy texture of a fresh crisp apple.
    13) Abilities: I have a knack of zoning things out, which comes in very handy at times. I was always a dreamy child, and I have never given up the habit.
    Loving the variety of Gratitude entries from everyone. Noticed a few people with similar answers to mine, so I'm obviously not as odd as I thought! 😂😂😂
    14) Sight: The sight of the dawnlight when I opened my eyes. It means that I had a good night's sleep, and wasn't up before daylight.
    15) Season: It has to be Autumn. The colours are spectacular, and I love kicking through the piles of leaves in the woods.
    16) Body: I am grateful that my body has responded so well to the changes in my lifestyle, and that it seems to heal itself quickly.
    17) Knowledge: I am eternally grateful for all knowledge, but especially grateful that experience has taught me that if we believe we can do something, we will find a way to get there. This knowledge keeps me trying, and looking for ways to benefit from ALL the that Fate sends my way.
    18) Piece of Art: Art is one of my chief interests, so choosing one piece is impossible. I love the huge piece of work by David Hockney depicting his native Yorkshire. It was composed of lots of 6'x4' canvases painted in situ. Really like his recent works using iPad technology. Also love Barbara Hepworth and Henry Moore sculptures. I could go on, but there are too many to mention.
    19) Touch: My husband's hand in mine. We often hold hands when we are out walking.
    20) Person: My dearest Mother-in-Law, (God rest her soul). She welcomed me into her family and treated me as the daughter she never had. She was good to all her daughter's-in-law. She said if she kept them happy, they would look after her boys.
    21) Song: This one makes me want to dance!
    https://youtu.be/PIb6AZdTr-A
    But this one is my anthem!
    https://youtu.be/KCkmIyC6v00
    22) Story: I love stories, per se! At the moment it's Game of Thrones. I am working my way through the books.
    23: I started a family tradition when my granddaughter was little and they started coming to us on Christmas Eve and staying for the Christmas holiday. I would leave most of the decorations off the tree, and we would all finish decorating the tree before they went to bed on Christmas Eve. I am so grateful that as the family grew, they never missed a Christmas with us, and even now when my grandkids are adults, they still want to come to us for the traditional family Christmas. We suggested that, this year that they might like to have Christmas at their own house, but it wasn't a popular idea. My DYD and her partner will be joining us, but my DBIL and DSIL will be travelling to Florida to spend Christmas with our niece and her American family, before going home with them Upper NYS for a few weeks.
    24: Challenge: I'm grateful for the daily step Challenge to,which I belong. It keeps me walking no matter what.
    25: Moment this week: The moment I stepped on the scale this morning and saw that I had dropped below 166lbs. I've been fighting down from 170lbs for over 10 weeks after a holiday week in London at the beginning of September.
    Irish Terri

f2ob3tkby1dx.jpg

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did weight Loss Pilates DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of 10 MS Butt Lift DVD, hold my plank, then take the extremepump class

Mary – welcome! At this point, I really don’t like to have any artificial sweeteners. To me, they have an aftertaste. Good for you giving them up! Baby steps, sounds like you’re doing well.

Barbara – ditto what you said to Lisa. Not sure what causes your cookies to break. I know what causes the pierogi to break. Sometimes they just aren’t sealed as well as they should be. But that’s OK, then it’s more for me! Or sometimes the dough is real thin for some reason in one spot. But it’s not a big deal. Last year not a single one broke. When Vince worked for Mars, he worked during the Y2K issue and that year no one was allowed to take vacation around the New Year.

Lisa – when we got Shadow from Jess, we knew that she didn’t get along with any other cat. So….what we did initially was Vince made a screen door and put it on the door to her room. She could smell the other cats, but they couldn’t get to her and she couldn’t get to them. Then one day she was in the living room. Vince had no idea how she got there, the door was closed. Well….he’d just stapled the screen to the frame of the door and she pushed the screen away from the frame and was in the living room. She’s “interacting” with our cats on her terms. We open the door, if she wants to come out, she can. Then again, if she does and she’s uncomfortable, she knows that she can always go in the bedroom. It’s just taking time….

Lanette – hope you toe is better real fast

Willow – your cat is precious…but I’m partial to cats anyway.

Got most of the lights on the arches today. Just have to put them on the top then put out the extension cords. Maybe Tuesday. Made banana chocolate chips muffins to take to the library for Christmas. I’ll also include some of the cookies that I don’t want after the holiday. Got a donation for the Salvation Army ready.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Oooooo
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Machka – I read part of the “hack” on combining holidays and vacation time to get a longer time away, and got as far as the – and only use 17 days- and burst out laughing, at my last job you got 5 days a year could not be accumulated nor taken in conjunction with a holiday or sick time. The US is not as generous as anywhere else – and at that job, we only got 6 holidays New Years Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Standard annual leave here is 20 days (4 weeks). Then we get 12 (I think) state holidays. Plus many places have RDOs or Purchased Leave options which add another 10-12 days (mine is 10 days in my current job).

Plus weekends, of course.

So if we're strategic about it, we can get a couple months off each year.

This coming Christmas, I'm "forced" to take December 25 to January 1 (inclusive) off. Dec 24 is a voluntary holiday, so I'm not sure if I'll take it or not yet. I suspect about 80% of my work colleagues will take it off, so I might join the masses and take it off too. So that'll give me 11 days of leave, and I'll only use 4 days of annual leave.

Then I'll have to decide if we'll go somewhere. That's the challenging part. It depends. It depends on what's going on with my health and with my husband's ability to travel ... and with the fact that, since it's summer and all the kids are off school, it's a busy travel time.

Nevertheless, it'll be very nice to have time off.

M in Oz

Kim & Machka I read this with amused longing as well...I've been working for the same company for nearly 30 years. I have finally worked my way up to 15 days of paid annual leave. PAL time can't be taken in conjunction with holidays.
    Karen in Virginia

Both you and Kim mentioned that. Why can annual leave be taken in conjunction with holidays? That seems really odd ... what difference does it make if a person takes annual leave in conjunction with a regular weekend vs a long weekend?

Here, and in the places I've worked in Canada, it's expected that people will take annual leave in conjunction with holidays. Occasionally it has been a little bit of a fight to get there first because the place might need some staff on ... so the first half of the staff that book the leave will get it, or something like that. But I didn't miss out very often because I usually went for the holidays that were outside "school holiday" time.

Where I am now, I think that as long as there's one person in our "immediate" department of about 30 people who turn up, the rest of us can take it off. I'm thinking of this coming Christmas Eve, for example. Most people will likely take that day off, but chances are there will be at least one person who will work it because that person is banking time for a different holiday.

All that said, our purchased leave is supposed to be used up within a year, so I'm expecting HR to get all excited and start sending me emails soon. I've got about 4 or 5 days of it I will need to use very soon. :grin:

Machka in Oz

+++++++++++++

Machka

It makes no sense to me either. Exceptions are made when people request the time in writing 3 months in advance at my workplace.

+++++++++++++

Lisa You have a lot to deal with right now but I have noticed that you are exceptionally good at multi-tasking and that can stay on your feet on shifting sands.

Kim Green tomato recipes sound yum-yum.

Michele We love Hellman's best.

Barbara LOL!!! I'm snarky & irascible too. And pi$$ed off half the time. <3

Kelly I made pretty decent ricotta out of failed yogurt a couple of times.
    Now that we make yogurt in the Instant Pot, it's nearly foolproof.

Rita Pretty sky!

Lanette Yes. I can stay on as a prn employee and pick up occasional shifts after I retire. Right now 2 shifts a week is perfect. I am so grateful for the flexibility in my job.

Katla I like your "Moment". Very sweet.

#24 Challenge - I appreciate the challenge of home-schooling my grandboy. It gets me up & going every morning. I am forging a really special bond with my grandson. And I'm learning new things all the time. Brushing up on lots of subjects. I had no idea I would enjoy it so much.

#25 Moment - Insane laughter from both of grandkids yesterday while taking them home from a movie. I still don't know what they were laughing about. We had a good time at the movies - J.K. Rowling's Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. So good.

Karen in Virginia

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    We had a great Thanksgiving with son and his family at the ranch. DH got to go fishing two days and we played lots of games with the whole family participating. I ate too much and am sure it won’t magically disappear. Plan to go to Y tomorrow for my balance class.
    One of our Christmas traditions is having chicken gumbo for Christmas Eve dinner. The whole family loves it but it takes awhile to make.
    We planned to do some decorating after church but took a long nap instead.
    Lisa - I taught jr. high typing class and it always amazed me how good those kids could type. They did tend to break the machines and the other teacher and I would repair them after school. Good skill go have.
    Caught up with all the posts and enjoyed reading all the comments.
    SueBDew in TX
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Sunday -- a fitness organisation here advertised a run in a local reserve (natural area, where building is not allowed, but which often has trails for people to walk or mtn bike). What caught my eye was that it advertised running distances of 5K and 10K. The 10K distance fit in my plans, and so I signed up. I also signed my husband up when I found out that it would OK for him to walk the 5K.

So today, that's what we did! I ran a 10K trail run! I've run 10K on pavement, but not on a trail ... it's a bit harder on a trail. The route was two 5K out-and-backs, so I got to pass my husband 3 times. :) The first 5K was faster than the second ... my legs were feeling it toward the end.

As it has been for almost a week now, it was cool, drizzly, misty and slightly foggy. But that was OK.

Distance: 10.01km
    Elevation: 164m
    Moving Time: 1:21:19
    Elapsed Time: 1:22:20
    Pace: 8:07/km

Machka in Oz

I love trail running! I have a sticker on my car that says "Pavement sucks!"

Good job to both of you.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies~
    im up and slept pretty well fell asleep around 5 woke up at 7:30 and took a melatonin and went back to bed didn't get to sleep until after nine but slept until almost 5.. so thats a good stretch..
    working 10-5 today and after the weekend to let things sink in hoping Mary will not have her undies in a bunch, I will be nice and kind like I usually am , and will just do my work and go home..
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, my chickens! Happy Monday, past or future... :wink:

Kim - I was hoping you'd let us know how the holiday went with your mom. Pleased that it was as good as it could be. That kind of vigilance for hours on end is exhausting... . Your advice on making the decision after this evening's meeting is spot on. I pretty much want to know what the motivation is for wanting me there.

Heather - I love seeing you become a part of your grands' lives, one step at a time. Those memories are priceless ones for all of you to make.

Michele - that's pretty much what we did for Egg. Made her a space in the spare bedroom we're using as a storage room, with plenty of hidey holes. Took her nearly two weeks to come out and interact. Now, she and Mrr tie up every once in a while, but more sound and fury than actual physical fighting. Sounds awful when they do, but fewer and further between all the time.
    suebdew wrote: »
    Lisa - I taught jr. high typing class and it always amazed me how good those kids could type. They did tend to break the machines and the other teacher and I would repair them after school. Good skill to have.
    SueBDew in TX

Sue - that brought back a memory. I broke every sewing machine I ever used in the home economics lab. Seriously, I'd do something as mild as put the bobbin in wrong, and a brand new machine would just self-destruct. My home ec teacher was just in despair after I ruined three of 'em to the point where they needed professional repair. So she put me on the old treadle machine that was just there for show, but still worked. I immediately broke the only belt she had for it. My project for the year ended up (seriously) being putting photographs into family albums. At her insistence. Now I have two machines that I maintain myself and keep in running order. She'd be so amazed! :smiley: But then, most of my high school teachers would be amazed that I survived, I was pretty off the rails by senior year.

#26 - Which pretty much leads me to my gratitude for a form of expression: I know you're only supposed to pick one, but I couldn't. First is that I need to write like others need water and food. All types of writing work to satisfy that need for me, business, journalism, fiction, non-fiction, blogging, whatever. And I'm grateful to find late in life the satisfaction that comes from color, whether it's in quilting or painting, where I'm self-taught in both, and still learning. I have a mild obsession with patterns of all kinds, and all my forms of expression spring from that obsession.

Weight-wise, after ten days off, the bread-baking (OK, and eating it too) caught up to me on the scale this morning, and it's time to settle that right down. I'm hoping to hear on a knee surgery date soon, so it's time to get it back together.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in Arkansas
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, had a lovely first day with DD, Rachel. Just fun to putter around the kitchen while she's keeping me company, it was unusually warm in the afternoon, so we went for a great walk and climbed up to the local dam, quite a vertical climb for me, but we made it and I was pleased we spent the day together in a low key way. I made pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert and did indulge. After a rousing game of scrabble I went to bed and fell asleep to the sound of DH and Rachel chatting in the living room, one of my favorite sounds.

Back to work I go, but plan on exercising after work as usual, my routine is critical this time of month or I lose a lot of ground with my fitness and weight. The typical weight gain around holidays is not for me, I just want to maintain, not gain, so that's gonna be my goal coming up for December.

NYKAREN
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Terri - I LOVE that watercolor... absolutely beautiful play with light and shadow. Our wood shop is almost set up, and when my husband's finished building my desks, I need to get in there and make frames for a couple of mine that I want to put up. Funny... the further away I get from painting them, the happier I am with them. For the first few months afterward, all I can see is mistakes.

Lisa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...
    lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - smell. My roses. :)
    Nov 2 - technology. Social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - colour. Blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.
    Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)
    Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought. What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)
    Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.
    As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.
    Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"
    Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for? Christmas!!! :)
    I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.
    Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.
    Nov 13 - Abilities. Right now, it would have to be organisation. While I feel like I'm in the midst of a chaotic whirlwind (and have been for the past 8 months) and I don't feel very organised, surprisingly enough, stuff is getting done.
    Maybe I should include things like endurance and tenacity ... "skills" I've honed from my long distance cycling carrying over to "real life".
    Nov 14 - Sight. What sight am I grateful for? The ever-changing view out the window of our house looking over the bay and the surrounding hills. Right now it's all grey and misty but it still looks good.
    Nov 15 - Season. The season I am most grateful for is summer. I love summer. I'd love it if the year were divided so that there was 1 month of winter, 1 month of spring, 2 months of autumn, and 8 months of real summer weather. We're coming into summer here and I appreciate each and every summer-like day.
    Nov 16 - What about your body are you grateful for?
    Sometimes I think ... "less and less" these days because I'm literally falling apart.
    But ... I'm grateful for my legs which are one of my main methods of transportation.
    Nov 17 - What knowledge are you grateful for? -- The tacit knowledge of cycling. Being able to ride a bicycle. It has taken me all over the world. It's how my husband and I met. It is stress relief. And it is part of my husband's healing process.
    https://www.brainline.org/blog/getting-back-bike/what-brain-derived-neurotrophic-factor-and-why-you-should-care
    Nov 18 - What piece of art are you grateful for?
    That's a difficult one. I've taken an Art History course, and enjoyed it very much. And I like going to galleries. But I haven't really felt a connection to any particular pieces.
    However, the one that is probably my favourite piece is:
    Umberto Boccioni, Dynamism of a Cyclist, 1913
    a2kfga9qpewz.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamism_of_a_Cyclist
    Nov 19 - What touch are you grateful for?
    My husband's hugs!! This was something I missed so much when he was in hospital!!
    Nov 20 - Who in your life are you grateful for?
    The obvious choice would be my husband, and I am grateful to have him in my life still. However, I have been very grateful for my parents who have been so supportive through the challenges this year.
    Nov 21 - What song are you most grateful for?
    My taste in music changes with my moods but I've been listening to this one a lot this year ...
    Jesus Loves Me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osWLvRlniNo
    Nov 22 - What story are you most grateful for?
    The Christmas Story. :)
    I have some of it memorised, and have done since I was about 6 years old. But I can hear it over and over.
    Nov 23 - Tradition.
    I had to think about this a bit because I don't think of myself as a person with many traditions, partly because I don't have children to pass them on to. But I do have a few around Christmas which I've inherited from my parents:
    Decorations on or very close to December 1.
    Open Presents on Christmas Eve.
    Read the Christmas Story, mentioned above.
    Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day.
    Listening to Handel's Messiah.
    Watching Scrooge with Alistair Sims.

I'm grateful for all of my Christmas traditions ... they make December a special month. :)

Nov 24 - What challenge am I grateful for?
    Ha! I've had a lot of challenges to choose from so I had to think about this one today.
    I decided on this ...
    The challenge I am grateful for is my education. I'm a perpetual student. I've attended courses of some sort just about every year since I was about 5 years old. I'm grateful that I've been able to do that. It has been challenging ... sometimes more than other times. And although I've not actually gone directly into the fields in which I've been educated, it has all contributed to get me where I am now.
    And it keeps me thinking and learning.
    Nov 25 - What moment this week are you grateful for?

Finishing my 10K run. I slogged my way up the hill, and as I came down the other side toward the finish line, my husband was there waiting for me with a big smile. :)

Nov 26 - What form of expression are you most grateful for?

I wasn't sure exactly what this means, but I think we can make it mean whatever we want. So the form of expression I'm most grateful for is the written word. That includes books to read, posts I type, emails, letters, and everything. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Christmas decorations: They'll likely go up on Dec 3, or at least some of them will. I don't have much time right now, so we'll see what I can do in an hour or so that evening.

Christmas music: I picked up several CDs from local OP shops and some are Christmas, so I started listening to them tonight. I find Christmas music soothing.

Hot flashes: I've often wondered why older women cut their hair short and figured it was a combination of convenience and fashion. Today I realised what the real reason is. When I'm in the middle of a hot flash, the last thing I want is a thick blanket of hair!! Especially when it's been about 90% humidity all day. That was one of the reasons I got it cut shorter last week. We've been smothered in humidity here for about a week, and I've been having once-an-hour hot flashes ... and I couldn't take the really long hair anymore. But my hair is still waist length, and today I was even toying with the idea of lopping off another 3-6 inches.

My uni course: It has picked up steam and it looks like I'm going to be very busy over the next few weeks. Today was a very long day at the university.

Terri: Along the Ridge is beautiful!

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! Snow day, here! Trentin left last night at 9:30 and is back again this morning. He has already asked if we can make cookies, today. Sorry pal. Not on my agenda for the day! We got four inches of wet and heavy snow. It took Tim and I an hour to shovel out the driveway. It would have taken less, but he was trying to get the snowblower started-it never started. But it is absolutely gorgeous out! When it is wet and heavy it sticks to every branch and weighs the evergreen branches down and makes everything look like it has been covered in frosting. This is one of those mornings where I want to lick a tree.
    Gratitude #What form of expression am I most grateful for? Well, for myself, that would have to be writing. But from others that I am grateful for...music. I am forever grateful for music to soothe my soul. It does it better than anything else.

kids arriving! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    8oi1em9gtyst.jpeg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Sitting in my living room with Alfie on my lap...nice before I go to work...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: It has been a long while since I had a hot flash, and I am so grateful for the absence of them. My doctor gave me “the pill” for birth control when I was a young woman. It was hideous and caused many hotflashes, quarrels and sleepless nights. DH threw my pills in the toilet and I flushed it. We found another form of birth control. As menopause came along it was the same song, second verse. I threw those pills away, too. Exercise & Vitamin D3 helped then & I still take D3. :flowerforyou:

#26: What form of expression are you most grateful for? I am grateful for both the written word and speech. I admire those who can paint, create beautiful pottery and sculpt but I don’t have talent in that area. :ohwell:

Yoga today!!!! Yay!!!!! I look forward to it. I would like to get out to a store that carries dishwashers and have a look. Ours is still working, but it is old and showing its age.

Katla, still in the dark at 6:42 am.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
    Thomas A. Edison