Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,886 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...
    lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - smell. My roses. :)
    Nov 2 - technology. Social media and staying connected with family and friends.
    Nov 3 - colour. Blue. The blue of the mouth of the river/bay/start of the ocean out my window. The blue of the sky. My new blue sleeping top that was nice and comfy last night.
    Nov 4 - food ... cheese. I ate a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches when my husband was in hospital. They were my comfort food. Also cheese has calcium which I think I need. Unfortunately, cheese does tend to be a bit high in calories so I shouldn't eat too much of it. But anything cheese-y is comforting. :)
    Nov 5 - sound. I like listening to the waves and the birds, but I think the sound I'm most grateful for today is my husband's voice. Just the fact that we can talk to each other again. :)
    Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" ... That's hard to narrow down to one thing. Oxford dictionary describes nature as "the phenomena of the physical world collectively, including plants, animals, the landscape, and other features and products of the earth". I am grateful for all of it. I find that getting out into any sort of nature helps to relieve stress.
    Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" ... Another one with so many choices!!! Recently, I've been grateful for two memories. 1) June 2017 ... my husband and I had a wonderful visit to Canada and did several things to make great memories ... hiking, cycling, visiting my family. I clung onto those memories during the months he was in hospital. 2) When I was 9 years old, my family moved away from where my grandmother lived. One of of the last days there, my grandmother took me to her window and showed me a full moon outside. She told me that on every full moon, we could both look at it and know that even though we were far apart, we were both looking at the same moon. That's a memory which has stuck with me all these years, and every time I see a full moon, I think of my grandmother. She's 97 years old ... but not doing so well ... so I've been thinking of her a lot. And I've also been very glad that my husband and I were able to see her when we visited Canada in June 2017.
    Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" That's easy ... The Bible. :)

I've enjoyed reading all your memories. :)
    Love the discussion about books! :)

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" This is not an easy one for me because I don't have the sense of "home" that many people have. I've moved too much for that.
    So ... I've had to give this one some thought. What place?
    Well ...
    I'm grateful for our current house. It's comfortable enough. It's not very big so it's fairly easy to manage. And it has a great garden which my husband has been able to work in since returning home from his accident. It is also close to a couple beaches, which is nice. :)
    Nov 10 - Taste! Hmmm ... salt. In the "Do you crave sweet or salty" discussion, I fall on the "salty" side.
    As it happens, I have a diminished sense of taste and smell for whatever reason, so I divide foods into the basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour or bitter, and from there it's harder to distinguish precise flavours. Although, I do seem to have some odd tastes like, for example, meat and tomato taste metallic to me, and I don't like that. If I salt them well, the metallic taste goes away and they taste salty, which is OK.
    Then, one of the side effects of my husband's accident is that he has lost most of his sense of taste and smell. He has regained a little bit, and they say it should return very gradually. But he'll comment that dinner has no flavour, and I'll think, "It just tastes salty to me. Is there supposed to be more flavour than that?"
    Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for? Christmas!!! :)
    I've always loved Christmas. I even picked up 3 Christmas CDs yesterday. I like having a decent amount of time off ... not just one day ... so I can get things done. I like all the decorations. I like the music. I like the services and celebrations.
    Nov 12 - Texture. Smooth. Very, very smooth. Clothing with no texture. Textured clothing is unwearable. Smooth clothing is good.
    Nov 13 - Abilities. Right now, it would have to be organisation. While I feel like I'm in the midst of a chaotic whirlwind (and have been for the past 8 months) and I don't feel very organised, surprisingly enough, stuff is getting done.
    Maybe I should include things like endurance and tenacity ... "skills" I've honed from my long distance cycling carrying over to "real life".
    Nov 14 - Sight. What sight am I grateful for? The ever-changing view out the window of our house looking over the bay and the surrounding hills. Right now it's all grey and misty but it still looks good.
    Nov 15 - Season. The season I am most grateful for is summer. I love summer. I'd love it if the year were divided so that there was 1 month of winter, 1 month of spring, 2 months of autumn, and 8 months of real summer weather. We're coming into summer here and I appreciate each and every summer-like day.
    Nov 16 - What about your body are you grateful for?
    Sometimes I think ... "less and less" these days because I'm literally falling apart.
    But ... I'm grateful for my legs which are one of my main methods of transportation.
    Nov 17 - What knowledge are you grateful for? -- The tacit knowledge of cycling. Being able to ride a bicycle. It has taken me all over the world. It's how my husband and I met. It is stress relief. And it is part of my husband's healing process.
    https://www.brainline.org/blog/getting-back-bike/what-brain-derived-neurotrophic-factor-and-why-you-should-care
    Nov 18 - What piece of art are you grateful for?
    That's a difficult one. I've taken an Art History course, and enjoyed it very much. And I like going to galleries. But I haven't really felt a connection to any particular pieces.
    However, the one that is probably my favourite piece is:
    Umberto Boccioni, Dynamism of a Cyclist, 1913
    a2kfga9qpewz.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamism_of_a_Cyclist
    Nov 19 - What touch are you grateful for?
    My husband's hugs!! This was something I missed so much when he was in hospital!!
    Nov 20 - Who in your life are you grateful for?
    The obvious choice would be my husband, and I am grateful to have him in my life still. However, I have been very grateful for my parents who have been so supportive through the challenges this year.
    Nov 21 - What song are you most grateful for?
    My taste in music changes with my moods but I've been listening to this one a lot this year ...
    Jesus Loves Me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osWLvRlniNo
    Nov 22 - What story are you most grateful for?
    The Christmas Story. :)
    I have some of it memorised, and have done since I was about 6 years old. But I can hear it over and over.
    Nov 23 - Tradition.
    I had to think about this a bit because I don't think of myself as a person with many traditions, partly because I don't have children to pass them on to. But I do have a few around Christmas which I've inherited from my parents:
    Decorations on or very close to December 1.
    Open Presents on Christmas Eve.
    Read the Christmas Story, mentioned above.
    Christmas Dinner on Christmas Day.
    Listening to Handel's Messiah.
    Watching Scrooge with Alistair Sims.

I'm grateful for all of my Christmas traditions ... they make December a special month. :)

Nov 24 - What challenge am I grateful for?
    Ha! I've had a lot of challenges to choose from so I had to think about this one today.
    I decided on this ...
    The challenge I am grateful for is my education. I'm a perpetual student. I've attended courses of some sort just about every year since I was about 5 years old. I'm grateful that I've been able to do that. It has been challenging ... sometimes more than other times. And although I've not actually gone directly into the fields in which I've been educated, it has all contributed to get me where I am now.
    And it keeps me thinking and learning.
    Nov 25 - What moment this week are you grateful for?
    Finishing my 10K run. I slogged my way up the hill, and as I came down the other side toward the finish line, my husband was there waiting for me with a big smile. :)
    Nov 26 - What form of expression are you most grateful for?
    I wasn't sure exactly what this means, but I think we can make it mean whatever we want. So the form of expression I'm most grateful for is the written word. That includes books to read, posts I type, emails, letters, and everything. :)

Nov 27 - What small thing that you use daily are you grateful for?

I use a lot of small things daily, and I'm thankful for them all. It's hard to decide! Toothbrush, lipgloss, undies, water glass, phone ...

I think I'll go with glasses. Without them, I couldn't see! I could still read a book, but I couldn't work on my computer, see to walk around, drive ...

Yes, I'm very thankful for my glasses.

Machka in Oz

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Gratitude #27 What small thing that you use daily are you grateful for? - Wow! I have to agree with Machka; there are so many things... A toothbrush ranks pretty high on the list. I really hate the "fuzzy" feeling on my teeth after drinking coffee. The term "small" is so subjective, though. I am also thankful for indoor plumbing and electricity. Those are pretty "big" things, but "small" when compared to the grand scheme of life; after all, people lived for millenia without them. Today, right now, this morning, I am eternally grateful for the invention of decongestants and nasal sprays. Breathing easy is very underrated.
    Feeling blah this morning, ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,886 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I have noticed someone using the "Woo" icon! It is misleading and many of us have thought "Woo!" was a good thing; but it is actually an icon that sends a flag to the mfp admin. Please refrain from using the Woo! (but I do think we need a big celebratory icon; sometimes "like" and "hug" just don't seem adequate) <3

Yes ...

More about that here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

However, I don't know whether it sends a flag to the mfp admin, or if it is just a way for members to tell other members that what they're saying is a bunch of rubbish.

And I agree that there needs to be "Congrats!" or something to celebrate.

M in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Karen VA I think you hit the nail on the head with my DD, processing the trip and comparing our first world privileges to her experience there is a lot to wrap her brain around. So, we are eating pie, playing scrabble and going for walks! Have to say, neither DH or I are pushing for information. Tomorrow she heads up to college for a week to visit friends and clear up school issues. This new phase is important and fragile and we are staying open but not pushing.

Allie you are exactly right about not offering to help with the colleagues children, keep a mile between you and that situation.

Beth here comes winter! We didn't rake any leaves in our back yard, the neighbors sycamore and oak leaves are blanketing the lawn. Don't know if we are going to clear it or not.....Does this mean trouble for the lawn in Spring Margaret? what do you think?

Off to work I go, NYKAREN
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Karen VA

Beth here comes winter! We didn't rake any leaves in our back yard, the neighbors sycamore and oak leaves are blanketing the lawn. Don't know if we are going to clear it or not.....Does this mean trouble for the lawn in Spring Margaret? what do you think?

Areas of my yard are blanketed with leaves also. It's already causing water to pool on top and it's going to create a muck-field in the Spring. I considered trying to rake some of the heavy wet leaves yesterday (saw someone doing that in another town) and then came to my senses. I do not have that kind of energy! This morning there's 4 inches of snow on the ground and it's still snowing ... wet, heavy stuff.

Beth near Buffalo
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Woot! Way to go, Machka! You make me want to go back to school.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Machka, wow, way to go.

Lisa, if I were expected to go to a party to meet new coworkers, I’d melt down. You rock!

Barbara, your suggestion to log my food before I eat has helped the past two weeks. Thank you..

Yesterday had a good appointment with my eye doctor. Pressure was down in both eyes and don’t need another examination til April. I pulled out the Christmas decorations and might decorate today. My girl Ella is begging for her morning walk. Wishing everyone a good day.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Machka - Excellent job!

My cake is just about to come out of the oven. :D

Blowing a gale and raining out there, so no jogging for me! I went out to buy food for my friend coming tomorrow and some picture hooks. We've just hung another picture. :drinker:

Small thing I'm very grateful for? My earplugs. Can't sleep without them. Even in silence.

Cake out. :D

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Heather: I am happy that you are enjoying your new home and time with the grandchildren. I am also envoius. :smiley:

Rebecca: The days are getting shorter here, too., but not as short as your days. You get a great deal in the spring and summer, though. Loads of daylight. :bigsmile:

Beth: You were smart to get things outside taken care of before the snow arrives. :star:

Machka: I hope things go well and settle down for you. I predict you’ll be much happier when you’re through this stage in a woman’s life. :heart:

Karen in BC: Welcome!!! Post often so we can get to know you. :flowerforyou:

Heather: One of the things we have in common seems to be a damp climate. I’ve been lucky enough to join a fitness club that allows me to exercise indoors in yucky weather. Snow is not very common here, and it tends to shut everything down, including going to the gym. I hope you’ll find something that allows you to get needed exercise when the weather is wet and cold. :star:

Karen: I agree with your idea about the Singer Featherweight for my granddaughter. I used to have one & don’t know what happened to it. :sad:

Allie: Keep us in the loop. :flowerforyou:

KJ: Thoughts on “woo” substitutes—whoop, whoa & woe (sad) . . . I guess they’ve decided to allow Woo!

NYKaren: I’ve seen deep leaves on the lawn starve it for light to the point it dies. :sad:

Pip: I love your Christmas pup in his scarf. :heart:

Nov 27 - What small thing that you use daily are you grateful for?

There are so many choices for this that it is hard to pare it down to only one. I’m picking electricity. In our neighborhood the wires are underground so wind storms and the like do not put us in the dark. We seem to be on the same line as the nearby County Courthouse and their power is uninterruptable. I suspect a flood might interrupt it. So far we’ve been lucky in that arena.

Katla
  • PressingPatience
    PressingPatience Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I have noticed someone using the "Woo" icon! It is misleading and many of us have thought "Woo!" was a good thing; but it is actually an icon that sends a flag to the mfp admin. Please refrain from using the Woo! (but I do think we need a big celebratory icon; sometimes "like" and "hug" just don't seem adequate) <3

I accidentally clicked it once when I was trying to click "like" but I unclicked it... I think... I'm pretty sure. My aim with the cursor nowadays isn't what it used to be. I have to dial the font up quite a bit to see the screen these days and those icons are tiny. >_<

Willow in WA USA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    #26 Music, love to sing... in the shower, in the car, in church. Try to moderate it in church tho, as loath to impose it on others. While close to, if not on pitch, the voice is thin, tinny, squeaky, unpleasant. :sad: Time to get out the keyboard and guitar and make some sweeter sounds.

Karen in VA what a treasure those passed drawings are and will be. Wow! What are MicroPopz?
    Vickie (((hugs))) New, non-functioning systems are so frustrating. Even more when Mgt doesn't seem to sense the urgency to fix. :(
    Willow in WA had no idea they fed fruitcake to sick folk, but egg nog, yes. Concentrated nutrition. Mama would whip some up for me, it was the only way she could get me to consume eggs. Only problem was it gave me the runs :sick: due my lactase deficiency, but back then who knew?
    Lenora glad to hear your reunion was politics free :) and that you've found a PT who sounds competant. Here's hoping. Balance issues suck.
    Rebecca beautiful photo, you're as talented in your medium as your sister is in hers.
    Heather what a gift for your DH to play with Max. Something I'd like to learn to do with my god daughter's children, but lack the patience and equanimity.
    allie stick to your guns. Never wise to overlap professional with personal services. Danger, Will Robinson, DANGER! Let Mary do it :devil:
    Lisa Grinning HUGELY here for the way things have turned out. Couldn't imagine better, or better deserved!
    NYKaren Sycamore leaves can mat and slow or prevent grass growth in spring. If you can't blow them off before the snow falls, you'll have a messy heavy rake job in a few months. Sorry.
    Beth 10-20 inches of snow! :astonished: Muck-filled mess, perfect words! We had Sycamores in Idaho and I grew to despise them.
    Machka of course, you ARE Highly distinguished! Congratulations on its being officially recognized.
    Betsy great news on your eyes' pressure. Joe's is up to 18 despite two different rx drops :cry:
    pip how do you keep Yogi from eating the scarf and other costumes? He is a lab, isn't he?
    Barbie Amen! That's how our furry ones are able to reduce our stress and blood pressure, by sight and example.
    Welcome Karen in BC

#27 small thing: Charmin ultra soft, not for me leaves or the Montgomery Ward catalog :devil:

During yesterday's break in the rain got the damp cardboard torn and mixed with the veg waste for the compost heap. Stirred the last grass clippings up a bit to aerate and scooched over the heap as decaying grass looks way better than decaying cardboard and brussels sprouts leaves.

RFPD Chief and I got the reimbursement request project half done, but OH it's like herding cats. Several guys want their complaints to be heard and as they struggle for primacy the volume and intensity rise. Good thing the target of their complaints is far far away. Will need Guidance to reframe into appropriate effective language. And you should SEE the firehouse. So disorganized, stuff piled everywhere, almost tempts me to clean :noway: Fortunately one of the gals has volunteered to do some organizing. I'll offer her my support.

It's cozily rainy and foggy today, Joe built a fire. Think I'll tackle the mess on the pedestal table to make room for Joe's coffee maker. Or not. Could work on the RFPD board meeting minutes instead... :wink:

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    walk one more step 17/26, 60 g protein 19/26, rx/vits 19/26, meditate 22/26, knee exercises 23/26, SWSY UP 4/8, SWSY LOW 3/8, core 4/8, play with Tumble 10/25, hang up or purge art 0/4 AF 19/26.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    I texted Dr Patel and said I wasn't available..and that he might be able to find a service with excellent references...
    I am assisting today and will be out at 5...
    DFIL ate well this morning
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Rains finally let up and enjoying a bit of brighter weather
    Not working today or tomorrow so need to get some housework done.
    Planning my meals as I go.

Karen in BC