WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday!

I just love reading everyone's comments even though I don't respond quickly. B)

Machka - so glad the cyst was benign. Very proud of your achievement at school despite the pressure you've been under lately. I am thrilled every time I read you and your DH went biking.

Lisa
    - Terrific that you won't be heading to El Paso and you can meet your new workmates at the party. You are the epitome of "when the going gets tough, Lisa gets going". :)

Allie
    - I too laughed at Barbara suggesting Mary do the nanny stuff. I don't recall much backstory on Mary other than her parked at work on her day off. I have a hunch this behavior was the straw that broke the camel's back. If so, I had a similar co-worker everyone labeled "passive aggressive". I didn't write her a note, I gave her a verbal dressing down. Got a thumbs up from several co workers who overheard it, lol. But I still had to work beside her daily so we were polite and professional. At least she cut me a wide berth after that.

Rori
    - have you ever resorted to taping your feet/toes to deal with your Morton's Neuroma? I'm having some good luck with taping for metatarsalgia thanks to Youtube, lol. Undoubtedly need a professional (expensive) orthotic but hope to put it all off until next year.

Katla - hooray for your new dishwasher! And sewing machine Christmas presents. How neat to come up with an idea for the kids that they'll actually use.

Heather - reading about your stormy seas and walking in the wind gives me goosebumps, the good kind. Your lunch sounded great! I am getting so jealous at your ability to walk to the shops to get groceries and fresh food. I bought a new blanket for the bed from Amazon - it is made out of Polartec. Lightweight and warm - I just read about your new house being chilly. You might be able to find a lightweight Polartec jacket to wear in the house on cold days?

OK ladies I'd better get going. Making lentil soup for lunch and need to get back on SWSY which I have skipped for a week due to shoulder and foot pains. Oh, Xray on shoulder = "nothing remarkable". Hmmmph. It's getting better but sure is taking its time. See the doc next Monday.

Lanette
    Cool and rainy SW WA State

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    Not a lot to say today, but thought I would add my Grateful item from the calendar.
    #28 - Small Thing that Happened - It is early in the day here yet, but I am grateful that I made it to work safely. There was freezing rain last night and my windshield washer stopped working on the highway. Made it to the auto shop and the company actually approved I could have it looked at. They have jury-rigged the drivers side and ordered a part to fix both sides that will be here tomorrow.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Sorry...messed up with the spoiler button. :blush:
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hugs for All who need them! :)
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I took a few days off, and this just zoomed by me! I'm trying to catch up now—two hundred something messages to go.

Terri, I just checked out the pictures of your garden. It's lovely! I'm just getting a start on my little piece of Texas, and it's going to take time to make it feel like an actual garden. I've been trying to decide what grows best where, and it's a lot of trial and error at this point. I think I'm going to have a lot of roses here. They do well with all the sun, and they tolerate winter well. I just need to learn how to fight the pests and black spot. My biggest challenge so far, is containing the Bermuda grass they planted. It's dormant in the winter, but otherwise it grows like a weed. I'm constantly pulling it out of my flower beds.

Pip, thanks for the laugh! I was checking out your Christmas tree, and it was so pretty from the top, then there's that fence, reminding me of your big, tree-menacing dogs. I love it! I've heard many tales of trees cut down by pets. You've got it licked.

Michelle, I'm surprised I don't get full as easily as I should. Those bad eating habits aren't far enough behind me yet. One full plate will make me feel over full, but I had a piece of pie a couple hours later with no problem. I'm now back to pre-Thanksgiving weight, and trying to lose more before Christmas temptations. I sent most of the leftovers home with our guest.

Barbara, I could imagine braving the weather to clip herbs. I've got rosemary in the yard, but though I love the plant, I'm not that fond of the taste. Sorry to hear of the death of your vacuum cleaner. I like to sweep, but my new vacuum (supposedly for pet hair) needs to be cleaned every time I use it. My long-furred dog's hair wraps around the rollers and tries to kill it. I've considered a Roomba, but my dog is skittish enough without a robot out to get him.

By the way, what does AHMOD mean?

Lisa, your outlook is so smart and professional with regards to your job. You don't have to burn those bridges, in order to warn of structural failures.

Lanette, thanks for the picture of your tree. I thought Pip's was genius, but yours is just as inventive. I remember chasing cats out of my tree one year—when they were still young and spry. I usually decorated it so dense they couldn't get in or up it. Your kitty looks ready to climb the wall to get at it.

Barbie, you make me feel guilty for not getting outside when it's a little chilly. Penny near the North Pole is another who makes me feel like a whiner when I don't want to go out in the brisk, 50-ish weather. You gals are an inspiration.

Karen, it sounds like you're a cherished asset to your company. I wish more owners, CEO's, and managers understood that it's the “little people” who can make or break a business. They need to value the ones who are great, and retrain or let go of those who aren't.

Lisa in Oregon! You sound like you've found the right group. Lots of women here are runners, and many have already reached their goals, and are just maintaining. You should check in daily if you want to keep up with this group—it moves fast. I think they start a new group each month.

I'm going to post this, and keep reading and catching up.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,842 Member
    Options
    Michelle in NC, there is a camera icon and an icon that looks like a landscape. Click on the landscape one then chose file.
    36wtn6yznpb1.jpeg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,842 Member
    Options
    Still here, just skimming....

RV Rita

zfsla3ajiqf2.jpeg
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm here, skimming every day. We had a nice Thanksgiving with only 5 for dinner, 7 more showed up unexpectedly a bit later and needless to say we had plenty of dessert and coffee to share and lots of noise and laughter. That's what I LOVE about holidays.

I keep thinking of those I miss on here and Mary AZ comes to mind often. Mary, if you're reading I miss you and think of you often. Another friend I miss lives in Houston and had the large beautiful family with 4-5 children and 12 or so grands that all lived in the area and came for dinner every Sunday after church. Can someone help me with her name? I miss her and her beautiful pictures. She is such a talented lady, ceramics, sewing, scuba diving all over the world with her husband.

Things are still in a turmoil with my own children, their spouses and my grandkids although they have settled down somewhat from the initial onslaught. I pray, keep the faith and continue listening and supporting in any way I can.

I love you all my friends,
    Janetr OKC
  • prisoner2food
    prisoner2food Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    What to be grateful for today? A nice warm house cause it is cold, rainy and windy outside. And I have to go to the quilt store in that!

Karen, BC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    Went to a painting class today. It was something for me!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,912 Member
    Options
    :)cariwaldick What I learned from Penny at the North Pole is that there is no bad weather, just the wrong clothes. I have wool socks and hats and scarves along with fleece leggings to wear under my jeans and a down jacket that I bought from LL Bean that says it can withstand winter in Maine. When I went to buy earmuffs the salesperson suggested a balaclava that covers my whole head and back of neck and forehead and chin. As the year progresses from autumn to winter, I add more layers and I'm very comfortable. Also, being active raises my body temperature.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Heather—I would love to go through your recipe file. Everything you post sounds like it would be a new adventure for me, unless there are American names for the dishes I don't know about. I wonder if ebay would be a good place to sell your old books. Sometimes the best buyer isn't nearby.

Katla—I love the “Saturkey Day.” With so many things to do for holidays celebrated on a certain date, that puts the focus on making it work for you, rather than you working to meet expectations someone else dictates.

Willow—I'm glad your boys know how to cook. I married a throwback from the fifties, and he can't even boil water. I made sure to teach both of my kids to cook—though my son would rather not.

The traditions I had growing up are very similar to yours. One gift Christmas Eve, baking and giving away cookies, decorating everything, tree up after TG, and down after NYD. I hope the spirit will move you to get back into the fun of the holidays. Maybe with the kids gone, it's time to find traditions that you love, that are meaningful—and doable—for you and your husband. Maybe you could go see a church or school Christmas program, (slip in unnoticed, and disappear in the back row to avoid notice.) One thing I like to do, is make someone else's Christmas brighter. I love the angel trees, or toys for tots. Donate a tray of cookies to your local fire station, or leave gift bags on neighbors' doorknobs.

I've heard of that bar of soap in bed for leg cramps and RLS. I knew a woman who was trying to start a business, making little pants filled with grated soap; she called them “Antsy Pants.” She said they worked well, unless you also suffered from night sweats—then you could wake up in suds. As to the “gut problems,” I used to get terrible heartburn and reflux when I went to bed. Since I've started eating healthier and losing weight, I haven't even had to take a tums. I've cut out carbonated drinks, and smaller meals and lots of water helps with digestion.

Pip—Those dogs are adorable. Their eyes say you're a great pack leader.

Sharon—Aw, I can't imagine the pain of giving up a child, no matter the reason. That's a wonderful thing do do—on both ends. I've tried to convince my husband that we should adopt, but he doesn't want to change his happy routine. I don't need a baby, but I'd happily take in a child or siblings who need a home and family. Lately I'm thinking we could be too old for those demands.

Allie—Your day at the cape sounds like my kind of fun.

Lisa—What I would give to have a husband who could build desks. Mine could cover a desk with computers and everything that goes with them, but he's not someone who would ever want a shop. I'm glad yours is happy in his new digs.

Sharon—I may have asked before, but where in Ohio were you raised? (My faulty memory is trying to recall fall pictures posted here, and where they were taken....maybe yours?) I grew up in Tuscarawas County, about an hour from Canto/Akron. It's a great place to grow up, but the area is so depressed it's hard to make a living there.

Michelle—I remember NC native's love of Dukes mayo. I'm a Hellmann's fan myself. I'm agreeable as long as it's not Miracle Whip. Then again, I cut most of that out on the diet.

Again, I'm posting as I try to catch up. Sorry for all the long replies.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    I'm here, skimming every day. We had a nice Thanksgiving with only 5 for dinner, 7 more showed up unexpectedly a bit later and needless to say we had plenty of dessert and coffee to share and lots of noise and laughter. That's what I LOVE about holidays.

I keep thinking of those I miss on here and Mary AZ comes to mind often. Mary, if you're reading I miss you and think of you often. Another friend I miss lives in Houston and had the large beautiful family with 4-5 children and 12 or so grands that all lived in the area and came for dinner every Sunday after church. Can someone help me with her name? I miss her and her beautiful pictures. She is such a talented lady, ceramics, sewing, scuba diving all over the world with her husband.

I love you all my friends,
    Janetr OKC

Janetr - bet you are thinking of Marcelyn? And how is our Re doing? Mary, what's up, lol.

Your Thanksgiving meal sounded very nice. Glad turmoil with kids is winding down B)

Janet from Eastern MO - Welcome! Sorry to hear about your knee and sounds like you are coming back from that injury. Take care!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    rori. Sending <3<3 your way as you mourn the anniversary of your friend’s passing.

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options