WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2018

Options
1717273747577»

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) It is approaching bedtime for me and I've posted the new thread for December. I hope you will all join me on the new thread so we can support and encourage each other for another month.

Here is the link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10709770/women-ages-50-for-december-2018#latest
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    total cal 764
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My sister-in-law posted this and I thought it was good ...
    lkzkyg4kxd5w.png

Nov 1 - smell. Babies freshly bathed and dressed ready to go.
    anything 'grilled' by our sons

Nov 2 - technology. To watch others doing their art; Loved the pictures that get drawn on sidewalks and walls that if you put a child down on the painting it looks exactly like they are sitting in a lake. I also find it amazing how one can stack up dominoes so that when they knock over the first one, they fall is all sorts of ways and make a picture.

Nov 3 - colour. Hazel. All 4 family members have hazel eyes and all change with their moods. If my eyes are more amber than green, watch out - I'm in a 'pissy mood, stay away!

Nov 4 - food ... Cajun, anything hot and spicy. Love that Blue Bell put their ice cream into small buckets; that is just right to get my 'sweet tooth satisfied. Followed by warm brownies my husband makes.

Nov 6 - "What in nature are you grateful for?" - Unusual plants and flowers. Love violets and orchids.
    son over-watered them last year when we went to LA - I know what he did ... he came over the day before we were to come home and did a 'soaking' of them.

Nov 7 - "What memory are you grateful for?" Three years old and that Christmas "Santa" left me a full cowgirl outfit with boots and whip and red wooden rocking horse. You might think I had died and gone to Heaven.

Nov 8 - "What book are you most grateful for?" BIBLE = Basic Instrutions Before Leaving Earth.

Love the discussion about books! :) - I grew up in that era; but, we were never to be rude or do anything that we would not do if our parents were here. Nan-L taught me so many things. The main lesson she taught me was she wasn't 'black' and I was not really 'white'. That lesson came after being up in Atlanta at school and hearing all the different names that were being used by many. She threw one of the white towels she was folding over both of our arms and ask me if she was 'black', "Uh, no ma'am'. Are you 'white'? "Uh, no ma'am'. She told me that she did not know where her parents came from; but, she doubted that they were slaves. There might have been a slave in their line - but they never talked about it. The lesson I came to understand is that we are all 'colored' people; just of different races. She told me she was a 'colored' woman and that is what she expected me to refer to her as, a 'colored maid working for my parents'. To be respectful and that saying she was African-American or any of the other names I heard would have been an insult - she was a 'colored' woman of the Negro or Negroid race; I was a 'white' young lady of 'color' being from the Caucasian race. She taught me so much and her 'aunt' had worked for us before she did. It was a respectful work that got handed down from mother to daughter (until the daughter got informed by some of the boys they dated; and, thought it was beneath them.

Nov 9 - "What place are you most grateful for?" Home

Nov 10 - Taste! Anything Cajun and spicy. Pork rines covered with Frank's Hot Sauce; then brownies my husband cooked and a little ice cream.

Nov 11 - What holiday are you grateful for?[/b] Christmas and Easter because of Jesus Christ being born, and he was the reason to save me from my sins by the shedding of his blood - I am washed in his blood!!!! :)

Nov 12 - Texture. 100% cotton sheets; I don't care what they say about
    Egyptian sheets being more comfortable, I don't think so. The ones I have are wrinkled all the time; even ironing them won't take care of removing the wrinkles. My Mimi used to send her sheets to the cleaner's to be washed, dried, ironed, and folded. I have enjoyed the sheets I got as wedding gifts more than those they now sell. Wash the 100% cotton sheets and they will be soft and wrinkle-free.

Nov 13 - Abilities. Trying to accept that I probably will never drive again and 'getting into the back seat with a large hat and directing them around. They said we'd work through it; but, that hasn't been easy for either of them or for me, either.

Nov 14 - Sight. Rainbows and oceans

Nov 15 - Season. I like them all; summer the best and we get a lot of it; Spring is a little too short. Fall has pretty colors, but, we don't live north enough to see all the color changes. I hate winter other than when it gets cool/cold we do have a roaring fire going. But, Spring tries to fool Winter by coming out a little too soon. I don't buy any plants before the pecan trees start putting out their leaves - period! When the ragweed stops blooming and the pollen is gone - you know you won't have any more cold weather.

Nov 16 - What about your body are you grateful for? My skin which is one thing I received from my Mother's genes. I really did not have pimples as a teenager; but, I had a boil or sty come up on the night before my wedding. Thank goodness for our 'family MD' at the time. I could tan so dark it was unreal; from white to a dark tan; just like my Daddy. If I am working with anything outside now I get too heated and my face gets 'blood red'; then, Louis tells me to 'go inside'.

Nov 17 - What knowledge are you grateful for? -- Trying to talk with good grammar and learning not to write with 'run-on sentences'. Young people nowadays think things are 'done' instead of 'finished'. You are only 'done' if you are a steak, so bring me that fork and knife and I will see if you are 'done' or not. Finished is what you say to your parents when you have finished that [done] steak. Finished means polished. I've even watched TV shows - news and things like that and they use atrocious grammar. I am by no means perfect. When they do, Louis and I just look at each other. I sometimes have to really think if something is 'to, two, or too'! They sound alike but have different meanings. "Go to the store to buy two apples, no wait, do you want one, too" To is a direction; two is a number, and too means someone else is added to the group, too.

Nov 18 - What piece of art are you grateful for? I'd fall asleep during art history class because it was 'jet' black except for the rotating slide show. I'd read my art books and never failed a class; but, I would rather be in a 'drawing or painting' class. Something with hands on. One of a picture I have seen in my MD's former of the Hippocratic Oath that looks like it was painted with white gesso (a formula used in art to give it texture) and then either stained in blue; or it started off being blue with the gesso still wet when they wrote in the words. It was just a 'moving' picture.

Nov 19 - What touch are you grateful for? A back rub or scratch; but, I know when Louis is going to stop; because he pats me with 2 pats on my back.

Nov 20 - Who in your life are you grateful for? Of course, my husband and sons; but, also my Mother because of what she taught me; and, my 2 older sisters who are breast cancer survivors.

Nov 21 - What song are you most grateful for? "Lay Down Beside Me" - John Waite and Allison Kraus. "Perfect" by Ed Shereen. So many songs with messages that if you listen to them several times, it will hit you.

Nov 22 - What story are you most grateful for? The Christmas Story. Some wonder about the 12 days of Christmas; it was a way to teach children the liturgy when catechism was banned. Reminds me of the soldier play card and his sergeant walked in and asked why he played with them every day. I don't quite remember the rest of that tale; but, he broke it down and nothing or nobody could take them away if they went to certain countries who think a Christian is an 'infidel'. Also, I never get tired of The Christmas Story.

Nov 23 - Tradition. - Oyster Stew on Christmas Eve. Remember my Daddy always buying my Mother's gift on Christmas Eve. One little "Five & Dime" in the town Carol (Peach) we grew up in, there was a little china manger scene that Mother would stop and look at it. For their first Christmas after being married; he bought it for $10 which was a fortune back then. I got it; in over 50+ years nothing ever got broken; but the first year with me, one of the shepherds broke his neck, and apparently, the lamb he was taking care of broke his back. After I stopped crying, Louis fixed it for me. Now you cannot even tell about them.

Nov 24 - What challenge am I grateful for? Accepting that I probably will never be able to drive again. But, everybody would be safer; and something could happen that I would never get over.

Nov 25 - What moment this week are you grateful for? Every day I wake up on the green side of the ground, Gives me more time that I don't want to miss. Missed Mallory's birthday - but we called her - she is so grown up and sounds like her Mother. Oh, boy - another teenager in the family! We'll get her a 'gift card' and let her pick out what she wants.

Nov 26 - What form of expression are you most grateful for? That the library is on the way and Louis can pick up books for us to read. Sometimes I am in a 'lull' other times he is. Right now I am.

Nov 27 - What small thing that you use daily are you grateful for? Toothbrush, deodorant, make-up, I'd like someone to drop down art supplies. And bring me books and reading glasses. Sorry, I just could not keep it down to one thing. Deodorant,

Nov 28 - What small thing that happened today are you grateful for?[/b] Cracker watching TV

Nov 29 - What friend/family member are you grateful for today? Both of my parents; but, especially my two older sisters who are breast cancer survivors.

Nov 30 - What talent or skill do you have that you are grateful for? Art - able to draw and paint. Oldest son once told me that only 'real' artist could draw in pencil. I drew a turkey for him and gave it to him one Christmas; the next Christmas I drew one with some colored pencils; both done right under his nose, he never saw either one until Christmas. I guess that makes me a 'real' artist.

So that's it. 30 things I'm grateful for. I might copy this list and create something that appears among my work desktop images. Maybe a random collage of words like:

Thank you, Machka in Oz, for sharing this with us!!!
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Tracy—I would definitely protect your heirloom tablecloth. I believe it's best to use the good stuff, rather than leave it stored away, but with reasonable precautions you can share it with your family, and still keep in in nice shape. I like the saying: Things should be used and people should be loved, not the other way around. It sounds like you and your husband are a good balance. What are your ornaments made from?

Rebecca—I love that gingerbread creation! There's a tiny nativity in the center. I have neither the skill nor the patience to do something that ornate. If I did, I wouldn't let anyone eat it.

Lanette—Skarsgard wasn't nude exactly, just his hiney. As to slippers, I can take or leave them, but my DH can't go without them at home. He swears they keep his feet and legs from hurting. He wears the kind with memory foam.

Barbie—Waking up to a wood fire sounds lovely.

Pip—My dog had to have eye surgery, so I understand not wanting to put her through it.

Off to check out the new thread for December.

Cari in N. Texas
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lanette I wear Crocs all the time...but years ago I wore a pair of wonderful old broken in Berkies to a fancy Christmas party at the Jefferson (not intentionally).

Last 2 gratitudes:

#29 Friend/Familyl Member: My grandson. He is my current hero.

#30 Skill or Talent: I'm a pretty good cook. I also have good spatial skills. I can pack a box.

Karen in Virginia - see you in December thread!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It is December! Remember to click on Barbie's link a few posts above this one! Remember to bookmark your december page when you get there! KJ
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,125 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    🤓