What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    55 min walk while the remnants of Hurricane Barry came through. My umbrella broke and I was happy to be out of the house. Hubby had a towel ready for me when I got home and then we did our AM Yoga dvd by Rodney Yee.

Tomorrow hopefully life will be back to normal. Walk and AM Yoga in the morning, HIIT class in evening.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    edited July 2019
    drmwc wrote: »
    I have a few things to log:
    Tuesday
    Rowing, 8k metres in 2.22 pace. I was happy enough with this, as I finished at around 1 a.m., so doing the exercise showed some WIM on my part.

Wednesday
    Day off

Thursday
    Bouldering for 75 minutes. I nearly got to the top of a v3 I've been working on for months. The last move is really scary, and I didn't get it. But it's the first time I've been close.

Today
    My only opportunity to exercise was this morning. So I did 2x8 minutes rowing; with 2 minutes rest between sets. 2.14 pace overall, with the second set being slightly faster than the first.

Climbers tend to make really good indoor rowers. I have a good online training buddy that does a ton of both and he's become a very strong rower. Like ridiculously good and he's a British "lightweight" (under 165 lbs). Just be careful with your rowing grip and make sure it's light -- wrapping just the fingers and not the thumb. Climbing and rowing can be very tough on your fingers. My buddy only has to usually take time off both if he has a finger ligament injury, which used to happen a lot more often when he was getting acclimated to both.

I honestly can't fathom doing both but my fingers and toes have never been particularly strong.

Thanks Mike.

I am not very good at either climbing or rowing, but I enjoy them both and I am slowly improving. I have been doing both for around 3 months. I am following Pete's beginner plan for rowing (https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/)
    and got 9 5k this week, so I am due to do my first 10k next week.

I saw in another post you are in the sub7 Facebook group. A friend of mine is from my scuba diving club is in it - I have not joined it myself.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I exercised a lot this weekend.

Saturday
    Lifted, workin up to 3 sets of 5, 55 kgs, bench; and 3 sets of 3, 85 kgs, squat. The bench was easy, the squats were hard. Bodyweight 69 kgs.

Later in the day, I swam 1 km.

Sunday
    Indoor rowed 9.5km in 2.24 pace.
    Later in the day, I went bouldering for 90 minutes. I only got one new route, an overhang v2 or V3.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited July 2019
    7/13
    Yoga
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 5 Rounds
    Ashtanga Sun Salutation A - 5 Rounds
    Hang and Handstand Complex
    Hang 30 on 30 off Hand 30 on 30 off x 4 rounds - 8 min

7/14
    Off

7/15
    am
    Mobility
    Animal Flow Daily 5
    Handstand Pushup - Pavel Fighter Progression (3RM) Day 6/30
    *On a Yoga Block
    4-3-2-1-1 (11)
    Pull-ups - Fighter Pull-Up Program (12R Max) Day 6/30
    12-10-7-5-2 (36)
    Yoga
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 5 Rounds
    Ashtanga Sun Salutation A - 5 Rounds
    Dead Hang and Handstand Wall Hold Complex
    Hang 40 on 20 off Hand 40 on 20 off x 4 rounds - 8 min
    Meditate

pm
    Core Strength Complex
    L-Sit Hip Rock to Stand- 5 x 5 (25)
    Back Bridge - 5 x 5 @30s (150s)
    Pancake Stretch - 5 x 5 @30s (150s)

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have a few things to log:
    Tuesday
    Rowing, 8k metres in 2.22 pace. I was happy enough with this, as I finished at around 1 a.m., so doing the exercise showed some WIM on my part.

Wednesday
    Day off

Thursday
    Bouldering for 75 minutes. I nearly got to the top of a v3 I've been working on for months. The last move is really scary, and I didn't get it. But it's the first time I've been close.

Today
    My only opportunity to exercise was this morning. So I did 2x8 minutes rowing; with 2 minutes rest between sets. 2.14 pace overall, with the second set being slightly faster than the first.

Climbers tend to make really good indoor rowers. I have a good online training buddy that does a ton of both and he's become a very strong rower. Like ridiculously good and he's a British "lightweight" (under 165 lbs). Just be careful with your rowing grip and make sure it's light -- wrapping just the fingers and not the thumb. Climbing and rowing can be very tough on your fingers. My buddy only has to usually take time off both if he has a finger ligament injury, which used to happen a lot more often when he was getting acclimated to both.

I honestly can't fathom doing both but my fingers and toes have never been particularly strong.

Thanks Mike.

I am not very good at either climbing or rowing, but I enjoy them both and I am slowly improving. I have been doing both for around 3 months. I am following Pete's beginner plan for rowing (https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/)
    and got 9 5k this week, so I am due to do my first 10k next week.

I saw in another post you are in the sub7 Facebook group. A friend of mine is from my scuba diving club is in it - I have not joined it myself.

It's a small world! Sub 7 is a great group. I'm relegated to mostly cheerleader right now rather than partipating as actively. That's how I got hurt originally was doing a "CTC" (Cross Team Challenge) in January. It's a fantastic group.

The Beginner Pete Plan is a great starting point. The Concept2 Forums also have a Pete Plan thread (I actually began the thread because so many of us loved the plan and we started the thread as a help to beginner Indoor rowers). I've moved on from basically functioning as the Moderator of the thread for a long time. Many that post there are extremely helpful and have forgotten more about rowing than I'll ever know. If you need a resource on the Pete Plan, that's a great one.

The training plan I'm doing right now is borrowed mostly from the 5K Pete Plan. There are several good plans. I've gained a better appreciation of the Wolverine Plan as I've learned more about rowing and many in the Sub 7 group follow the "Casey Plan" by Casey Clarke, who is another really strong UK indoor rower (and Sub 7 member). He's very similar in performance/age to Pete Marston.

Sub 7, by the way, is an open group. Anyone can join. All you have to have is a passion to learn Indoor rowing and participate (as much as possible) in the CTC and ITC monthly rows. There are fantastic resources in that group for training. Carol Woodward, just this past weekend, smashed the Women's over 60 Lightweight Marathon record. Rod Chinn, her husband, also holds quite a few over 60 World records. They are a delight and always helpful for training advise.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @J72FIT, like you hang and hand complex. A dozen or more years ago, I would regularly do timed hangs and handstand holds. Did a hang yesterday and dropped at 1:21, best in my comeback is 1:35. In the olden days, I cracked 2:00. Would like to do it again.

I used to do a workout I called my Plan B workout. Handstand hold, pull-up hang hold, wall sit, ab plank and Superman extension on the glut ham unit all for max duration for a great workout when needing a breath of fresh air from the normal grind.

Keep up the good work.
  • morganjw1
    morganjw1 Posts: 18 Member
    Will be 1 hour. Right at 2 miles of very brisk walking with some running mixed in. Stops around every 1/4 mile for calisthenics (squats, lunges, push ups) mixed with tension band exercises. Do this workout 3 days a week and mix in 2 other days with walking/running.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm slowly convincing myself that maybe I should actually do some strength training so I can try to deal with my right side being so much weaker than my left. It's only really apparent when I'm sculling, however when it is apparently it's very apparent.

I did various exercises with my therabands that I have from physical therapy for my shoulder and then some squads (including single leg squats). I would be happy if I did that three to four days a week and as of now the therabands I have are sufficient for shoulder related things.

Don't let me talk you out of strength training: We should all do some form of it (me included ;) ). If you're finding more DOMS on one side versus the other, or some other discomfort problem, you may be right about that as a solution.

But if you're saying your right is weaker than your left because of a tendency to gradually creep off straight-line trajectory when sculling, I'm going to give about a 97.653% probability that that's not the issue.

Every year, new scullers tell me they're not rowing straight because one side is stronger than the other. Every year, I watch them row, and that's not the key problem. The key problem is symmetry: One blade is entering the water a little earlier than the other, one blade is leaving the water a little later than the other, one blade is digging deeper during the drive than the others, or some combination. A small difference at the handles can make a big difference in steering because of the much bigger difference at the blades, on account of the shaft/rigger dimensions and configuration.

The underlying problem can be nuances of hand positioning/handle height (getting that left over right/left sternward of right thing at the micro level every time - noting that this is US rigging/practice, not universal), or simple timing. If it's timing, there are different reasons in each of the scenarios (entry, release, mid-stroke blade differences). Somewhat more often, it's the handle height (which creates a symmetry difference thus a power difference at the blade), rather than the timing per se.

So, if the symptom is in the line the boat takes (steering, loosely), the cause is likely symmetry rather than strength differences.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    @J72FIT, like you hang and hand complex. A dozen or more years ago, I would regularly do timed hangs and handstand holds. Did a hang yesterday and dropped at 1:21, best in my comeback is 1:35. In the olden days, I cracked 2:00. Would like to do it again.

I used to do a workout I called my Plan B workout. Handstand hold, pull-up hang hold, wall sit, ab plank and Superman extension on the glut ham unit all for max duration for a great workout when needing a breath of fresh air from the normal grind.

Keep up the good work.

That sounds very cool...
  • AnnPT77
    Rowed just under 7K on Saturday with the former Big 10 champion rower, which is always fun. Apparently she forgave me for clashing with the bridge abutment a couple of weeks ago, which is good (I was in bow, steering, both times).

Time on water is shorter with her, for sure: Boat goes faster!

(People have asked on threads here if I have trouble keeping up with her; that's not really how rowing works. As long as the people in a shell both have adequate or better technique, they can row together successfully, especially sculling (two oars per person rather than one per person). In a recreational setting, very excellent rowers don't usually row meaningfully faster (more strokes per minute) than lower-level but competent rowers, they simply deliver more power to the boat with each stroke. Major technique mismatches can cause problems in rowing together, but major power differences are kind of normal. Even in races, the difference in rating (strokes per minute) isn't all that huge between boats of technically competent, experienced sub-elite rowers, and elite rowers. The more meaningful differences are in power delivery and conditioning. So, I can "keep up" with really good rowers in this recreational setting: My technique is adequate. But it's a slow row (time per km) for someone like her compared to being with an equal, vs. someone like me who's smaller, slower, older, weaker, and less skilled at nuances of power delivery.)

Sunday was a rest day, with some flopping around in a friend's pool for a couple of hours for fun.

Monday was a 7K row in the double with a friend who just got back from 6 months in the UK (including rowing while there).
    <snip for reply length>

If you want to swing back to more competitive work, it doesn't have to be all consuming. I think much of my indoor training is so I can be like you when I retire and simply have the capacity to learn OTW rowing.

If you're looking for challenge, but not too much seriousness, I thought of the "Nonathlon" for you. It's a bunch of indoor rowers that row literally every distance and keep fun scores. You get handicapped for being a lightweight or female or older. You work on distances from 100m all the way up to a Marathon. Most do it for fun and just to make training more interesting. Plus, the community of folks is fantastic. I've never done it but have thought about it. Sounds like a blast.

https://www.nonathlon.com/

Thanks, Mike, I'll check it out!

As an aside to the retirement planning issue: I don't think we're massively far apart in age. I just decided I was willing to be of very limited use to society, so retired a goodish long time ago, when I was about 51. I decided I'd be really annoyed if I got metastatic breast cancer and died before retirement (odds of living > 5 years were about 60%), so I'd better retire quickly just in case . . . then it turned out I stayed healthy. ;) Not complaining; I'm pretty happy. I hope you enjoy OTW rowing, when you get there: So fun!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    I am exhausted today.

Kayaked Saturday for 5 hours.
    Kayaked Sunday for 7 hours.

Fun in the sun but omg i'm tired
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm slowly convincing myself that maybe I should actually do some strength training so I can try to deal with my right side being so much weaker than my left. It's only really apparent when I'm sculling, however when it is apparently it's very apparent.

I did various exercises with my therabands that I have from physical therapy for my shoulder and then some squads (including single leg squats). I would be happy if I did that three to four days a week and as of now the therabands I have are sufficient for shoulder related things.

Don't let me talk you out of strength training: We should all do some form of it (me included ;) ). If you're finding more DOMS on one side versus the other, or some other discomfort problem, you may be right about that as a solution.

But if you're saying your right is weaker than your left because of a tendency to gradually creep off straight-line trajectory when sculling, I'm going to give about a 97.653% probability that that's not the issue.

Every year, new scullers tell me they're not rowing straight because one side is stronger than the other. Every year, I watch them row, and that's not the key problem. The key problem is symmetry: One blade is entering the water a little earlier than the other, one blade is leaving the water a little later than the other, one blade is digging deeper during the drive than the others, or some combination. A small difference at the handles can make a big difference in steering because of the much bigger difference at the blades, on account of the shaft/rigger dimensions and configuration.

The underlying problem can be nuances of hand positioning/handle height (getting that left over right/left sternward of right thing at the micro level every time - noting that this is US rigging/practice, not universal), or simple timing. If it's timing, there are different reasons in each of the scenarios (entry, release, mid-stroke blade differences). Somewhat more often, it's the handle height (which creates a symmetry difference thus a power difference at the blade), rather than the timing per se.

So, if the symptom is in the line the boat takes (steering, loosely), the cause is likely symmetry rather than strength differences.

While i have a lot to work on with regards to rowing in general, and especially sculling, I'm more than willing to bet that a big part of the not being able to keep my point is a strength issue. I fractured my right shoulder last February (or March?) and that side is significantly weaker than the left. I also wasn't as excited about doing PT so while my quads and glutes are very strong a year and a half and two and a half years out of two major knee surgeries, my right arm is definitely not 100%.

Had I not had this injury then I wouldn't be worried about the asymmetry with regards to strength. Plus reintroducing PT exercises will also likely help with some general pain in that shoulder that is lingering from said fracture.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Today was upper body day!

Lat pulldown
    Seated row
    Chest fly
    Chest press
    Cable tricep pulldown
    Cable bicep curls/hammer curls
    Planks
    Side planks with controlled arm threading
    30 minutes on the Precor AMT
  • aokoye
    An hour and a halfish of rowing in a 4 with other novices. It was okay, the water was amazing which was nice. Mondays are going to be technical days which I appreciate. Nothing to write home about other than that there is going to be a talk about holding onto handles
  • AnnPT77
    An hour and a halfish of rowing in a 4 with other novices. It was okay, the water was amazing which was nice. Mondays are going to be technical days which I appreciate. Nothing to write home about other than that there is going to be a talk about holding onto handles

There's a name for rowers who don't keep hold of the handles: "Swimmers". ;)
  • aokoye
    edited July 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There's a name for rowers who don't keep hold of the handles: "Swimmers". ;)

Yeah...I was telling an acquaintance who works at the place I get bagels after practice on the weekdays that 8 of them almost managed to swim off of the dock today... At first I felt bad looking very quizzically at them getting in, and then I saw my coach doing the same thing from the launch.

I was also telling two friends yesterday when we were stretching after sculling that while I don't like it when people talk needlessly in boats and then end up not being able to hear calls, I did have to tell one of the new novices to not undo their oarlock before getting out. It is very seldom that I sternly tell an adult to not do something, however, I do have my limits.

There will also be a "surprise - we're using this practice as a coxing clinic" which I appreciate. I might suggest that it be a coxing and review on basic safety clinic including "here's how to set the boat when 6 or 4 people are rowing on the square".
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Just slowly starting back on weights:

Deadlift lbs
    5x135
    5x185 x3
    Plank
    60s

Treadmill
    60 min @ ~12km/h. .5% incline for 6 min
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Get moving Monday

60min session with my trainer, trx, upper body hitting the muscle groups we didn't get round to on Friday. So back, biceps and triceps. Arms felt like they belonged to someone else by the end.

20 min easy paced recovery run

5/3/1 cycle 2 deload week, squats and shoulder press. Followed by some single leg trx work and finished off with farmers walks with the gyms new indoor tyre (that I think is 40kg)

30min tabata

45min barbell
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2019
    Did 10 minute W/U on the bike, then 8 X 500m/1 minute rest on the rower. Didn't do 12 reps like last week. Wasn't feeling it today and my HR wasn't recovering as fast as I like it to. Was taking nearly the whole rest period before it was dropping, so I cut it short. 8 X 500m is hard enough, 12 is pushing it. I think I pushed likely too hard last week. Ended with 20 minutes Cool Down on the Air Bike.

I'm making progress. I'm noticing that my HR is staying in the Warmup zone much longer while I workout (it's dropping relative to the same activities), so I'm making progress. The only thing that could get in my way of progress is my own impatience.

Also didn't start out too fast today. Not sure of the numbers, but all the reps (I think) around 2:00 pace, so much more consistent. I'll have to look again but I think I did negative splits (faster every rep by just a bit), which is a smarter way to train than "fly and die", which is what I did the last few hard interval workouts.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    PHUL upper power session and the walk to and fro the gym. Some old, same old. While I'm happy with my routine, it seems so boring compared to what some of you are doing. Especially you rowing people and your posts. Lots of interesting info!