Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• firef1y72firef1y72 Posts: 1,451Member Member Posts: 1,451Member Member
    Get moving Monday.

30min session with PT, ab work in general but particularly mu obliques.

20minute recovery run

Quick play on cardio equipment. 10k recumbent bike, 2.5k elliptical plus 10 floors on stair master (first time on it)

45 minute circuits class
  • drmwcdrmwc Posts: 179Member, Premium Member Posts: 179Member, Premium Member
    I went bouldering for 2 hours. It was a very good session; I got my first v4. I was expecting to be terrible, due to hiking so much recently. Instead, I wasn't bad at all.
  • jnomadicajnomadica Posts: 280Member Member Posts: 280Member Member
    60 minute Krav Maga class. Belt test is next week so there’s a lot to do to prepare.
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member
    9/16/2019 - realized I was tired so kicked planned workout down the road to tomorrow and called it a rest day. Ate dinner out, a full rack of babyback BBQ ribs and baked potato to fuel big for tomorrow - about 1,000 calories over maintenance. Will go to bed early tonight.
  • surfbug808surfbug808 Posts: 98Member Member Posts: 98Member Member
    I put Zhumba because it was in the data base and the calorie loss is the same, but really it was body strength training for 60 minutes and a workout of 600+ calories. Still learning how to use MFP properly!
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 2,054Member Member Posts: 2,054Member Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Saturday and Sunday: 40 miles of hiking with a lot of really slow people, many of whom clearly hadn’t taken their training seriously. It took 24 hours due purely to the pace.

Today: Official Rest Day. Will probably take a couple of short strolls to loosen up my calves.

Where were you? I was in Brecon Beacons - there did seem to be a charity hike over some of our hills on the Saturday. We did less distance than you - Friday and Saturday were our main days, and we did (I think) around 30 miles, with around 17 peaks.

I was up in Scotland, specifically Pitlochry (and Killiecrankie, and Strathtay). Though I did a lot of my training in the Beacons, with the Bristol Ramblers.

I was pretty confident in my fitness, but expected to find the staying-awake-for-24-hours aspect tough; I like my sleep! It turned out to be surprisingly comfortable, though. I guess that having people to talk to and something to do keeps me 'up'.

(Also, changing my boots halfway through was a plan of sheer genius)

Today's workout will hopefully be my usual Barre Fit class ;)
    edited September 17
  • J72FITJ72FIT Posts: 5,292Member Member Posts: 5,292Member Member
    9/17
    am
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (13 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Conditioning
    Jump Rope - 45s on 15s off x 15
    Meditate

Not sure what I am doing tonight...
    edited September 17
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 12,162Member Member Posts: 12,162Member Member
    Just another spin day, mostly (53% ;) ) Z3.
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Posts: 979Member Member Posts: 979Member Member
    27 minutes X 2 on the rower today. Ho hum! 2:28 and 2:27 paces roughly @ 16 and 17 SPM. HR decent. Only once or twice did it spike to 78% of Max HR. Really stayed low for the first set (around low 130s) so that was pleasing.
  • jnomadicajnomadica Posts: 280Member Member Posts: 280Member Member
    Wasn’t feeling it today. Just did a walk and a long stretch session instead of the planned lifting. Hopefully an active rest day will make me feel less sluggish tomorrow.
  • sarko15sarko15 Posts: 273Member Member Posts: 273Member Member
    My bum is s o r e from my squats yesterday but I'm starting a trial at a new gym (since I just moved to a new city, I'm taking advantage of trying out new gyms with those 7 days free passes as long as I can manage :D ) so I want to get as many days in while I have the trial as possible. I'll probably just going to do a half hour of cardio to keep up my streak and call it good.
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 2,984Member Member Posts: 2,984Member Member
    I realized that I need to enable the snooze function on my alarm...
    No rowing today (sadly) and I'm moving today's TrainerRoad workout to tomorrow.
  • pierinifitnesspierinifitness Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,345Member, Premium Member
    9/17/2019 - late afternoon.

#1 - Bar dips single set maximum reps test - completed 20 reps - known lifetime best, I believe, is 24 or 26 reps, too lazy to look it up.

#2 - Pull-up hang hold maximum hold time test - 1:33 - known lifetime best is 2:08 from more than a dozen years ago.

#3 - Running workout:

(a) run 2.0 miles easy warm-up in 21:51.

(b) run 2:00 fast at target 8:15 mph pace slow run recovery for 1:00 completed 4 rounds of 1.28 miles in 12:01 - fast run mph equivalents were 8:17, 8:35, 8:48 and 8:35 so slower than target.

(c) run 0:30 fast at target 7:15 mph pace slow run recovery for 1:00 completed 4 rounds of 0.60 miles in 6:01 - fast run mph equivalents were 7:04, 7:29, 7:26 and 7:38 so slower than target except first one.

Plan on doing a one-mile timed trial on Sunday to see if I can run it in 7:30 or less. Made a video of the bar dip effort and pull-up hang hold time test for my future elderly man training archives. Will be fun sitting in a rocking chair viewing the good olden days.
  • surfbug808surfbug808 Posts: 98Member Member Posts: 98Member Member
    Rehabing an injury and my physiotherapist gave me some exercises for that. I did extra strength training at home with weights today for another 30 minutes.
  • firef1y72firef1y72 Posts: 1,451Member Member Posts: 1,451Member Member
    Just another manic Tuesday.

40min easy run - needed to sort my head out so just went for a run before PT
    30min Stair workout with PT, wearing her weighted vest, not high Calorie, but high leg burn

45min Zumba class

45min Insanity class
    45min Boxercise
  • J72FITJ72FIT Posts: 5,292Member Member Posts: 5,292Member Member
    9/17
    pm
    Strength
    Pre-Exhaust Rear Laterals and Side Laterals - 15lbs x 8 x 3
    Hip Huggers - 30lbs x 8 x 3
    DB Overhead Press - 40lbs x 8 x 3
    Dead Hangs and Handstand Wall Holds

9/18
    am
    Yoga
    5 Tibetan Rites (13 rounds each rite working towards 21)
    Hatha Sun Salutation - 2 Rounds
    Ashtanga Sun Salutation A - 3 Rounds
    Conditioning
    Jump Rope - 45s on 15s off x 15
    Meditate

edited September 18
  • JessAndreiaJessAndreia Posts: 307Member Member Posts: 307Member Member
    Deadlifts 2x8, 1x6
    Incline dumbbell press 3x12
    Weighted Step ups 3x8 (each leg)
    Seated row 3x10
    @J72FIT, how was your handstand wall hold times affected by having done DB OHP work prior? Thanks for reminder, I want to do some handstand wall holds, it's been a long time.

How many sets did you do of the dead hangs and handstand wall holds and what was your recovery time between sets? Nice job. I did a hang for time yesterday to see where I'm at. I like the feel of a hang. Remember doing weighted hangs long ago. Think I grew an inch.

Also, thanks for the training idea of your jump rope workout. I've been following your effort and you're 45s on and 15s off for multiple rounds falls right in line with how I like to train.

Keep up the good work and keep marching forward!
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Posts: 979Member Member Posts: 979Member Member
    @J72FIT, how was your handstand wall hold times affected by having done DB OHP work prior? Thanks for reminder, I want to do some handstand wall holds, it's been a long time.

How many sets did you do of the dead hangs and handstand wall holds and what was your recovery time between sets? Nice job. I did a hang for time yesterday to see where I'm at. I like the feel of a hang. Remember doing weighted hangs long ago. Think I grew an inch.

Also, thanks for the training idea of your jump rope workout. I've been following your effort and you're 45s on and 15s off for multiple rounds falls right in line with how I like to train.

Keep up the good work and keep marching forward!

I'm adding weight training back into my routines too (along with the rowing). I need to build strength. I've had a Plyo Box out in my garage now for six months that I hadn't put together because I got it right before I injured my back. Also, my son got me battle ropes for X-Mas. I need to unpack those and figure out where to put them in the new house. I'm considering outside because it's going into Fall here in Tucson and the weather will be fantastic for the next nine months -- perfect for outside workouts. My wife also got me some Adjustable Dumbbells that I've barely used yet. Need to break those bad boys out and start working them too.

When I do lift, my style of lifting is very similar to yours -- mostly heavy KBs and dumbbells and body weight. Not a ton of barbell work. For one, my back can't take barbell work and I like to work out at home so not much room or desire to add in a cage, etc. at my age. Just replace your running (I can't run) with lots of rowing. I just can't lift as heavy yet so I have to be cautious moving forward.

I do need to get a solid hangup bar too and install it in my garage.
    edited September 18
    @MikePfirrman, as you may know if you follow my training posts, I train outdoors at a local park despite having been a gym rat for a long time. I enjoy it but winter is more challenging in my part of the world compared to yours. Best older man advice is to start at the bottom with loads and use a progressive resistance approach. I personally favor heavier loads and lower reps with decent recovery time between rounds and get my endurance training from running or lighter load KB complex work. Having flexible shoulders is key. Be safe, have fun and challenge the heck out of yourself.