What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    5k row. Goal was to be under 25 minutes (I know, not a very impressive goal). Went over by 7 secs. Still an improvement from the last 5k.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    5k row. Goal was to be under 25 minutes (I know, not a very impressive goal). Went over by 7 secs. Still an improvement from the last 5k.

Any improvement is huge in rowing. It is a progressively hard thing to do better and better. Nice work!

Did a "Pyramid" workout today on the rower. My club's monthly friendly competition with other clubs (the CTC). I'm what they would call a "boat floater" -- not competitive any longer but just filling a seat for more points.

It was a 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, 500m, 400m, 300m, 200m, 100m/all with 1 minute rest. You start at a static start on the first one, then you can do rolling starts on the rest. I think my average (without looking again) was a 1:56.0 pace. Top guys in my club are around 1:33 to 1:35 on this, some lower. Right now, I'm currently with the mid level women (nothing to be ashamed of as there have been 7 World Records and 10 national records broken, just this month, by the women in my club. They are on fire right now).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

I think you're doing great. Sounds like you're fairly new to this, or perhaps resuming after hiatus? It's a skill based technical sport (when done properly πŸ˜‰), as well as requiring conditioning (the longer the distance, the better conditioning required, loosely). Your profile says you're female, but I don't know how old.

If you're in the 30s age group, 25:07 would be good for a place about 1/3 of the way up the C2 *ranked* 5K times for women in that age group this season, i.e., fastest pace they've delivered so far this season for the distance. The top segment of the list is quite fast, the elite edge. (The younger you are, the more likely your age group includes women who've been rowing for a long time, competitive in high school or college and maybe beyond - tougher field.) You're in a respectable ballpark objectively, and improving.

You're doing fine, IMO. Keep up the goodness! 😊
  • JessAndreia
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»

I think you're doing great. Sounds like you're fairly new to this, or perhaps resuming after hiatus? It's a skill based technical sport (when done properly πŸ˜‰), as well as requiring conditioning (the longer the distance, the better conditioning required, loosely). Your profile says you're female, but I don't know how old.

If you're in the 30s age group, 25:07 would be good for a place about 1/3 of the way up the C2 *ranked* 5K times for women in that age group this season, i.e., fastest pace they've delivered so far this season for the distance. The top segment of the list is quite fast, the elite edge. (The younger you are, the more likely your age group includes women who've been rowing for a long time, competitive in high school or college and maybe beyond - tougher field.) You're in a respectable ballpark objectively, and improving.

Thanks! Yes, new to this. I had rowed at my gym before but just once in a while. Just now being consistent with it as I bought a rower a bit over two weeks ago. I quite enjoy it! I'm in my late 20s. Lightweight.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»

Thanks! Yes, new to this. I had rowed at my gym before but just once in a while. Just now being consistent with it as I bought a rower a bit over two weeks ago. I quite enjoy it! I'm in my late 20s. Lightweight.

Oh, man: You're in 19-29; that's a competitive age group for women - some collegiate competitors, some just post-collegiate! Lightweight thins out the Amazon-type women in the demographic, but still. Nonetheless, you're still about 1/3 the way up in your age/weight if it's a C2, and you're just getting started. (I'm 60-69 lightweight, not as many women with athletic history, before Title IX in US, and fewer lightweights, besides - much less competitive.) IMU, Waterrower tends to deliver a bit faster pace numbers than C2, not sure about other brands.

As a long time rower, I'd encourage you to work diligently at technique initially, even at sacrifice of some speed/intensity at first. Getting good mechanics into your muscle memory right away is going to help with getting more effective workouts in the long run, and working on technique can be easier at moderate spm and intensity. It's much more difficult to improve on basics after they're grooved in as habits - ask me how I know! πŸ˜¬πŸ˜†

I don't know about your fitness background. If you're already pretty athletic, the idea of more moderate pace to build base fitness may not apply, but if not an experienced CV athlete, that's a reason to keep most of the pieces moderate at first, too. Even the Div I rowers I used to work out with occasionally are focused on base work seasonally, so it's never wasted.

Best wishes, and have fun!
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    ^^^^ All of what Ann said. Dark Horse Rowing and anything that Cassi Niemann puts on YouTube are fantastic for technical pointers if you don't have access to an outdoor rowing club.
  • JessAndreia
    Options
    @MikePfirrman @AnnPT77

Thanks for the advice.

I've watched Dark Horse Rowing videos on YouTube. I'm trying to make a conscious effort to keep good form, but yes, I catch my form slipping sometimes and then have to stop for a couple seconds and make that conscious effort again.

I've lifted weights for a while now. Cardio is definitely a weak point for me.

It's not a C2, but it's an air rower. The one at my gym is a C2. I find the numbers pace to be pretty much the same or very close from what I remember, as well as how it rows.
    If the one I bought eventually breaks down, I'll get a C2. The monitor mine has is nowhere near as good as the C2 in terms of not saving data, and not being able to set specific intervals. Gyms were going to close in my city the day after I got the rower, so I kind of wanted it right away.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    pqrmezmznepk.png
    Was cut short. Not rounding at a nice 25km triggers my ocd
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    🀣 4 x (500m on, 30" off) . . . not fast, like any sane person would do . . . but easy (2:36.8!): barefoot, feet out, not even wearing workout clothes, listening to Sturgill Simpson's new bluegrass recording . . . just to stretch out and breathe a little, on a lazy, lazy day, I guess . . . not even a workout . . . so why am I posting? 🀣🀣🀣

No intoxicants involved, I swear. Maybe a half-ounce of encroaching senility? πŸ˜‰
  • JSLuke59
    JSLuke59 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    h43yibs4pbcr.jpeg
    rpfu46vj6rhc.jpeg
  • JessAndreia
    Options
    1k row
    Dumbbell squats
    Dumbbell RDL
    Stability ball leg curls
    Dumbbell incline bench press

Weights were feeling heavy today so just did a couple sets for each.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    g9wpjz7gdnjp.jpeg

Always love a lower body day
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    1.5 hrs on exercise bike

30 minutes on my new mini-trampoline, just arrived today. Fun!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5, with some accessory lifts.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    This has been a nerve-jarring day, but happily I talked myself into a short rowing machine workout, 3 x (2k on, 2' off/CD), 6646m at 2:24.4/21spm overall. Now I feel better.

It included what may've been my fastest cold 2k this season from a still start, at 2:21.7 pace and 22spm. That's not fast, just fastER than usual cold, definitely not all out (HR hit 163, which I think is only about 85% reserve, and I didn't get The Cough). I think with a proper WU I *might* be able to hold mid-2-teens pace, maybe, for 2K? Maybe one of these days I'll have to try. Heh.

The next two pieces felt fairly easy, oddly, though HR mostly stayed Z4. Drift effect? Recovered back to one-teens (<50%) in both water breaks, though. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ Bodies are weird.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I did hangboarding yesterday, followed by squats and deadlifts. I finished at after 1 .a.m., and it was below 0 Centigrade so my (unheated) shed was a bit nippy. So I didn't do as many sets as normal, getting 1 set of 10 squat (70 kgs) and 1 set of 8 deadlift (100 kgs).

The hangboarding was pretty good. Hopefully I can get a climb in today - the weather has not been co-operative so far.

I had a few daily consecutive weigh-ins at 145 to 146 pounds. I aim to keep my weight in the range 140-147 pounds. So I've been on a cut for a couple of weeks. It's gone well, and I will probably revert to a proper amount of food next week. I do seem to be less energetic than whilst eating a proper amount of food - presumably this lowers my NEAT and so I'm burning a few less calories than normal.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    60 mins Light Intensity Steady State cardio, 4mph hill interval program on the treadmill.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Wednesdays Workout

100 Fwd Jump Rope
    BBall Court down & Back
    High Knees
    Butt Kickers
    Laterals
    4 Build Up & Down Sprints

15 KBell Swing
    50 Banded Crunches

15/12/9
    Bench
    Leg Press
    Chest Press
    Goblet Squats
    Cable X Over
    Seated Calf Raises 3 x 18
    Flys
    Smith Machine Straight Leg Deadlift
    Land Mine Press
    Dbell Deadlift

Sinister Abs (60 reps)
    Hanging Knee Tucks/Cable Crunches/Straight Leg Situps/Hip Lifts/Crunches/Flutter Kicks/ Supine Bike/Knee Tucks/Sit-ups/Hanging Leg Tucks
  • MikePfirrman
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - I definitely think you'd do a nice 2K time currently. Good job.

30 minute row today and 20 on the Assault Bike. Seems to be my favorite steady state work these days. Didn't get all the pushups, squats and pressups done on Tuesday so finished them today. Really concentrated today on not going over 70% of HR max. I hit 71% once but just for a few seconds. For me, that's keeping the HR in the mid 130s or so. Or at least under 137/138, which is hard to do rowing. I have to do a harder 10K this month. I might attempt that tomorrow. When I say hard, it won't be all out, I think I'll do some sort of ladder workout or interval to make it seem more manageable.

Light weight gym still needs a bit more work but hope to take a picture when I'm done with it.
  • nataliepate25
    nataliepate25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Today, I did my abs exercises for around 30 minutes.