4 x 200 build each 50
    300 swim with snorkel
    3 x 150 with paddles, pull buoy
    3 x 50 fast
    100 cool down
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    2 x (2k on, 2' off/CD) rowing machine, 2:28.9 pace, 19spm, topped out about 80% HR reserve but over half the workout in zone 4. 4522m all told.

Before that, a short (20') light (15lb) kettlebell workout, declining 10-1 count cycle of 2-hand swing, single OHP R&L, alternating 1-hand swing, goblet squat. Trying it out short/light, since some of this bumps up against some recurring physical issues - will see how I feel tomorrow.

Oh yeah, and those few sun salutations in the AM.
    2 X 5500m row. Steady state work. Been thinking about keeping my steady state work under 70% HRR (heart rate reserve) rather than 70% HR max. Significantly different for me. 70% HR max is like 138 and 70% HRR is like 148 or so. So today, I kept it all under around 147 or so. Seemed to work well and I don't feel too spent either.

My RHR (resting HR) is like 50 and my max is like 192, so I've been comparing my work (never a good idea) to others that don't have a max HR close to what I have for my age (it's all heredity, actually). While hard work can keep your max HR from dropping too much as you age, you can train your RHR to a degree. My RHR years ago was in the 60s, before I did significant cardio for the last 13 or so years.

First set was around 2:34 and second around 2:36. Slow, but felt easy-ish, like it should.

That seems like a good plan, @MikePfirrman. I'm in a similar situation: 70% HRR is around 144bpm +/-, which seems like working but pretty sustainable, not much cumulative fatigue penalty post-workout ; straight 70% would be around 126, which barely seems like working at all.

Any of this is an estimate/approximation of meaningful thresholds, short of lab testing, but reserve seems more realistic to me as a guide, and certainly tracks better for me with some of the physical benchmarks of exertion.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    3/4 mile walk (split between warm-up and cool down)
    3 rounds of circuit training
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 -- thanks Ann, appreciate the input. Always respect your opinion. I had noticed you usually work off of HRR, not max. One thing that was bothering me was the year I did my PB times, I mostly worked at around 70% HRR that year. I also can talk and hold a conversation, even if it is with some difficulty, at around the high 140s. Plus, I'm able to row at a much more comfortable rate (21).

Today was same thing, basically, just got a late start so I ended after rowing (machine) 8K meters. HR in check at around 70% HRR again. Weather was ideal today -- 68 and breezy. Really nice outside here.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    30 min Fitness Blender lower body workout
    15 min walk at home dvd
    20 min Yoga w/ Adriene
    Will get in a x-country ski before dark. The temps have been dropping all day with the wind increasing so extra layers today.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Still not back to Team Body Project and my desired activity level. . . .
    I am skeptical about it, but I hope the healing is happening.

Only movement this week has been a few days on the elliptical trainer (30 minutes maximum) and outdoor walks on other days (no more than 3 miles).

Thank you all for continuing to inspire me and for all the positivity here. I aim to be as lively and active as you all are VERY soon.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Ran on the road today. Short Interval workout. 68 min total

10min warmup: walk to jog, marches, butt kicks, skips, high knees, etc.
    Repeated 10 times:
    1 min hard effort (5k pace)
    4 min recovery pace

Finished with an 8min cool down.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    15 min rowing (3200m).
  • kms_fit1
    kms_fit1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Row House Signature class:
    45 min
    6109 m
    552 cal
    🚣🏼πŸ’ͺ🏻
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    45 mins shoveling snow
    45 mins Cardio
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Concept 2 rowing machine, 2 x (2k on, 2' off) at slower pace, 2:34.3, 19spm, trying to keep heart rate under 70% reserve and just barely succeeding (hit the boundary bpm πŸ˜‰, 144). 4556m with the CD and row in/out.

That followed an experimental resumption of a random round of core exercises for just a tad under half an hour, most of them with the big stability ball: Stir the pot, roll-outs (from knees), leg curls, McGill curl-ups, front plank (forearms), side planks R&L, ball passing, floor side crunch.

I couldn't find my notes on the core routine I used to do when I was being less of an exer-flake, so just did some random stuff as a start; need to put together a better routine. My obliques (in the side plank, side crunch) are really regrettable, which is no surprise with rowing (and sculling rather than sweep when on water, mostly, besides) as my volume activity for so long. Tried doing the side crunch on the ball, which is a better exercise in so many ways, but it was a total train wreck. Going to go through my books, find some better progressions.

Also the few AM sun salutations, and some side leg raises.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    3 February I hoped for a climb, but by lunch it started to pour with rain. So I made do with an hour of yoga, and testing my max reps unweighted pull ups (I got 17, which is I think a PB). I did an 8 mile walk in the evening.

4 February It was sunny! I got an hour's climb in over lunch. I wasn't massively on form, but I did get some hard stuff eventually. I didn't flash anything, though.

It looks like I won't actually win my weekly Monday to Friday step count challenge this week - I'm only on 63,000 so far, and I probably need around 20,000 more to grab the gold. It's doable, but I will probably not bother.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,833 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    ggeise14 wrote: Β»
    30 min Fitness Blender lower body workout
    15 min walk at home dvd
    20 min Yoga w/ Adriene
    Will get in a x-country ski before dark. The temps have been dropping all day with the wind increasing so extra layers today.

Our temps are supposed to be dropping next week with daytime highs of only -16C. I usually x-country every other day but my cut off temp is -12C. (yeh, I'm a wuss LOL) so hopefully the weather forecasters are wrong. I don't mind snowshoeing in colder temps though so that will be a good option for the dogs and me, if need be :)
  • kms_fit1
    Options
    Row House Full Row:
    45 min
    626 cal
    8264 m
    πŸ’ͺ🏻πŸ”₯🚣🏼
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Did this months CTC (cross team challenge) for my indoor rowing (virtual) club. Compared to most of the men, I'm like a mascot, but this was good for me where I'm at right now coming back from back rehab.

It was a 2K X 3 with five minute rests. Last 2K I did was 8:20, so I figured somewhere shy of that. Ended up with 2:12.2 on the first one (surprised me that I felt good at that pace), then 2:11.2, then 2:10.8 on the last one -- all at 24 SR (stroke rate). Low drag to protect the back (I'd guess around 94 or so). HR got up to 176 on the last (over 90% max).

Glad that's over. Was pleased that I got it done with negative splits.
  • kms_fit1
    Options
    Did this months CTC (cross team challenge) for my indoor rowing (virtual) club. Compared to most of the men, I'm like a mascot, but this was good for me where I'm at right now coming back from back rehab.

It was a 2K X 3 with five minute rests. Last 2K I did was 8:20, so I figured somewhere shy of that. Ended up with 2:12.2 on the first one (surprised me that I felt good at that pace), then 2:11.2, then 2:10.8 on the last one -- all at 24 SR (stroke rate). Low drag to protect the back (I'd guess around 94 or so). HR got up to 176 on the last (over 90% max).

Nice splits, Mike!πŸš£πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ»
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Options

Nice splits, Mike!πŸš£πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ»

Thank you. I used to do these all under 8 minutes just a few years ago, but it was a solid one for me for now. Strength is just starting to come back, but at least my lungs are still there! Progress is fleeting and relative. And I'm getting old!

Many of the guys (now they are some of the top indoor rowers -- some of them are Olympic real rowers too -- in the world) can do all three under 7 minutes. Some well under seven minutes.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    10 min Bike
    15 KBell Swing
    15 Strict Press
    50 Hanging Leg Tucks

3 x 10
    Hip Sled
    Mil Press
    Smith Machine Deads
    Lateral Raises
    Goblet Squats
    Front Raises
    Seated Calf Raises 3 x 18
    Rear Delts
    Iso Dbell Deadlift
    Cable Squats
    Belted Calf Raises 3 x 18

Nifty 50 Abs
    Situps/Hip Lifts/Crunches/Cable Crunches/Supine Bike/Flutter Kicks/Rev Crunches/Leg Raises
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Dumbbell Lunges
    Dumbbell RDLs
    Stability ball leg curls
    Dumbbell bench press
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Dumbbell shoulder press