What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hour incline walk on the treadmill. One (or both) of the treadmills at my gym is off; the one today felt a LOT steeper than the one the other day, even though it said the same incline. Maybe I was just tired...stupid dog needed to go outside at 3:45 this morning, and not sure I was fully back to sleep before my morning alarm at 4:45.

I also increased the DB used during my elbow rehab from 5# to 8#. Starting to feel it in my muscles, but NOT in my elbow tendon, which is exactly how I want it to stay. If all keeps going well, next week I'll increase to 10# DB's, and then be ready to return to active lifting duty.
  • dblirondog
    dblirondog Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I ran 4.3 miles and walked 2 more at lunch.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    My wife and I took an easy spin around the neighborhood on our bikes this morning before I returned the rental bike. It was more of a sight-seeing trip than exercise.

I got in some laps at the outdoor pool after lunch. After warm up laps, it was a 12 x 100 set on 10-15 second recovery.
  • Darkstar45
    Darkstar45 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not in a good place lately and I haven't been into "working out" for a good year (or longer). Zero motivation, but...I tried to incorporate fun and I use my daughter's VR, playing beat saber, turning it into a dance, not just arm movements. I also added fitxr (or fitrx..or something like that), which has up to 13 min work outs of various intensities and target areas and styles...but that is also a victim of my lack of motivation (lately). I think that if getting to exercise is a very difficult move, video games that involve physical activity is a good start.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    As an aside, we met former NY Jets QB Joe Namath at his restaurant last night. Had a nice chat with him after dinner. I took the picture - my wife, BIL, SIL and Joe are in the photo :)

hayzjiw3utlj.jpeg

Showing my age but I can't help thinking of the ad with him in pantyhose!! LOL!!!!

Haha! We were smiling because he was wearing black knee high compression socks! Last time my brother in law saw him, Joe was wearing flesh colored ones. :)

I noticed the knee highs in the photo too! I wear compression knee highs too (to work) but I'm a nurse!
  • Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Tried to get in 2 power walks but I made the mistake of bringing my husband on the first and both husband and kiddo on second. We didn’t make it too far or too fast. :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Didn't report yesterday's 60'+3' stationary bike. Did my PT exercises like a good li'l ol' lady, too.

Today, machine row 2x2k (2:25.6 pace and 2:20.6 pace, both 21spm), less Z4 than last time (about 7') even though close pace, peak HR 154. Then stationary bike 60'+3' again, a little slower than last time (98W overall), more Z3 than Z2 but not lots more. PT exercises yet to do before bed.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    BigMech wrote: »
    - Body Weight Box Squats: 10, 10, 10, 10

I despise box squats! Probably means I need to do more of them...

They keep me honest on depth, plus unloading the tension at the bottom brings a whole new world of hurt on the way back up.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Forgot to post yesterday, just did cardio because I had an early meeting, went well.

Stretched

44 minutes on the spin bike, avg/max heartrate: 136/168
    31 minutes on the spin treadmill, avg/max heartrate: 127/142

Stretched

Today was a tough workout. I was in meetings from 7:30am to 11:00pm almost non-stop, so it was tough to drag my butt out of bed.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, avg/max heartrate: 137/165
    25 minutes on the spin treadmill, avg/max heartrate: 121/140

32 minutes lifting weights
    - Barbell Bench Press: 4*10@125lbs
    - Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns: 4*10@120lbs
    - Barbell Overhead Press: 4*10@65lbs
    - Triceps Cable Press-downs: 3*10@40lbs
    - Resistance Band Crunches: 3*15@80lbs
    - Dumbbell Biceps Curls: 3*20lbs
    - Kettlebell Side Swings: 3*8@30lbs
    - Resistance Band Face Pulls: 3*80@80lbs

Stretched

It wasn't a great lifting day, but I got the work in, which has got to count for something!

• nossmf
    Options
    Hour elliptical, hills.

Did the same workout as Monday, but my calorie burn was 50 calories fewer today. Over an hour's workout that's about one calorie per minute. Must not have been pushing myself quite as hard today as I thought. Can't blame this one on lack of sleep...I forgot to set my alarm last night, so instead of waking at 4:45 I slept in til 5:45 when my body woke up without assistance. Combined with my dog not waking up middle of the night, and I actually got 7 hours of sleep, woke up feeling like a million bucks.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hour elliptical, hills.

Did the same workout as Monday, but my calorie burn was 50 calories fewer today. Over an hour's workout that's about one calorie per minute. Must not have been pushing myself quite as hard today as I thought. Can't blame this one on lack of sleep...I forgot to set my alarm last night, so instead of waking at 4:45 I slept in til 5:45 when my body woke up without assistance. Combined with my dog not waking up middle of the night, and I actually got 7 hours of sleep, woke up feeling like a million bucks.

Cardio bunny weighing in again here: Sometimes that happens, even at exactly the same intensity. (Both my bike and rower are "ergometers", so relatively reliable at gauging intensity/duration.)

I don't necessarily know why it is, but it can be lots of things: Sure, rest is one. But it can also be different HRrest that day shifting the response curve (perceived or measured), different intra-workout relative pacing, different time of day, fueling details, even artifacts of measurement. (Example: If it's a heart rate monitor, cooler ambient temperature or being slightly more well hydrated can mean a slightly lower heart rate, so a lwer calorie estimate. Machines vary, or in gyms maybe have been (mis)used since last time so are slightly differently worn or calibrated.)

A calorie per minute seems large, but in relatively intense workouts like you're doing, it isn't necessarily a huge percentage difference. (You know where you are in percent terms, I don't.)

Definitely, at the margin when pushing pretty hard, small differences in actual intensity can be hard to perceive, too.
  • nossmf
    Options
    For mathematical sake, Monday's workout recorded 803 calories, today's was 753 (drop of 6%). Same time of day (within 20 minutes start time), always exercise fasted first thing after waking.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    For mathematical sake, Monday's workout recorded 803 calories, today's was 753 (drop of 6%). Same time of day (within 20 minutes start time), always exercise fasted first thing after waking.

I can only speak for me, but I wouldn't be startled to see a difference of 10% from one day to the next for at least moderately (subjectively) similar intensity of the same duration. If it's a heart rate monitor/fitness tracker estimate, vs. a number from the same exact machine not very many days apart, I'd be even less startled.

So much affects HR that isn't about calorie burn. So many think a fitness tracker delivers gospel because to them it's black-box technology that seems magical, but it's not. It absolutely can be close enough to be workable, but it's worse under some conditions, better in others, and to the extent it uses HR, that in particular has some peculiarities.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Sometimes it's not a great workout, but at least I did it. Busy day, PT appointment, lots of errands, didn't get on the bike until after 10PM. Thought about cutting back to 10k, but got on and committed to the usual 60'+3', at a pretty anemic 89W for the whole way, almost entirely Z2 (45 seconds Z3! :D ), pretty much a slog for a reported 23,969 completely imaginary meters, going nowhere.

Physical therapy today was weights-y, including one oddball asymmetric carry exercise that was a kettle bell in one hand (held down at side in the common way) and a dumbbell in the other (held with upper arm extended straight out to the side of the body at shoulder level, then arm bent up 90 degrees toward the ceiling). They gave me a 25lb kettlebell and a 15lb dumbbell . . . the latter was still a challenge to the problem shoulder.
  • rbali24
    rbali24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group -Today was Back Day:
    1.Deadlifts 6 x 5 (heavy)
    2. T-Bar Row
    3. High Pull Row (leverage machine)
    4. Wide-grip pulldown
    5. Single arm cable row
    6. hyperextension
    7. Drop set barbell curls
    8. Incline dumbbell curls
    9. Low pulley rope curls (low weight high rep finisher)
  • sarahdipendee1
    sarahdipendee1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’ve been playing supernatural on the oculus. It’s a great workout and always super fun so I don’t get bored and I’m always able to stay consistent 👍🏼
  • BigMech
    Options
    Decent workout this morning. Lower body, core and cardio.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, avg/max heart rate: 134/167
    26 minutes on the tread mill, avg/max heart rate: 131/144

41 minutes lifting weights.
    - Barbell Box Squats: 10@45, 8@65, 8@85, 7@105, Drop set: 5@125, 6@85, 8@45
    - Crunches: 6*20
    - Narrow Stance Leg Press: 10@210, 10@300, 8@390, 6@480, Drop set: 6@480, 8@300, 10@210
    - Weighted Side Bends, each side: 5*8@40lbs.

Stretched
  • RegroupResetGoAgain
    RegroupResetGoAgain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    60 mins football, 45 minute strength workout 20 mins recovery on the bike
  • nossmf
    Options
    rbali24 wrote: »
    I'm new to the group
    I’ve been playing supernatural on the oculus.
    60 mins football, 45 minute strength workout 20 mins recovery on the bike

Welcome to all three of you, not just to our thread but to posting in the MFP forums in the first place! Here's hoping you feel comfortable enough to continue to post, for self-accountability as well as a sense of community with people of similar minds.