What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,217 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.06 miles. Mainly zone 2-4 but I had a maximum heart rate of 176!? Never had exceeded low zone 5 before and I felt fine today.

Now my heart rates are from the elliptical grips, which I know can be inaccurate, but 176? Thats like the max for a 45 yo not a 65 yo. I should probably invest in a chest monitor. It would be nice if it could plug into my elliptical. Does anyone know if there is one that plugs into a PreCor? As getting this used I have no manual. The place I got in from has a online manual available that I accessed early on to see how to use the different programs & how to program workouts.

I have had crazy data from those things. Like if I believed it, I might be scared. I have also had my Garmin device give me data that seems weird. My Garmin may or may not be picking up footfalls as heartbeats when walking. But I had it spiked a few times when I knew I was actually dialing it back to slow things down. My breath was not even taxed. Other times it says I have a low pulse when I can tell my ticker is TICKING. I've even stopped and taken pulse manually. Of course stopping changes things too.... So take the data you're seeing with a bit of salt, although do consider it might be something to pay some attention to.

My Garmin device doesn't give good pulse information when swimming. But I can tell if I'm really huffing and need a break to catch my breath. I try to avoid that and get a good steady pace. I chest HRM would be groovy. I probably won't get one though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Trying a little more rowing, 2 x (2k on, 2' off/CD), so double what I'd be cautiously doing sometimes lately. No pain. First piece extra slow because my HR chest belt decided to pop loose & I stopped to fix it. So, the 2k pieces at 2:29.6 pace/20spm, 2:23.2 pace/21 spm; 536m extra from row in/out and CD. Overall, around half Z3, and most of the rest split between Z2 and Z4.

Last 500m or so of 2md 2k (2:30-ish duration) all at 152-153bpm, right around my 220-age HRmax estimate (153), but very sustainable so definitely not HRmax.

Then straight to stationary bike, keeping it extra ultra easy because of the rowing volume increase, 60' (89W) + 3' (85W), overall, pretty much all Z2 except the initial getting up to pace.

I have some slight quad/glute DOMS from yesterday's shoulder PT, which is pretty great. :D I'll do a round of home PT before bed, but some of the rotational resistance band stuff + the stretchy/massage-y bits (the latter I'm supposed to do daily).
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Wow, my very own @Annpt77 novel response! I'm honored you'd take this much time you try to educate me. Yep, I can see within your list of "don't do this" several ways in which I set myself up for failure, lol. It's been years since I last tried, so I don't recall every specific (such as resistance and strokes per minute...that acronym took me a minute to figure out), but the part about the hands moving up and over the knees very much struck a cord in my memory.

You've been helpful to me on some strength training issues, which I appreciate, @nossmf.

But, give me the slightest excuse to talk about rowing, and it's hard to stop me, sadly. On top of that, it's Winter, and my frustrated coaching impulses/education have nowhere to go. In season, I can aim my random musings at our club's novices in learn-to-row and beyond, vent the impulse that way. :D
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.03 miles. Zone 2-3 today. No weird HR spikes, so I agree it was probably a wonky reading as I felt fine yesterday.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Back in the pool today.

I put on my mask & snorkel and zoomer fins and swam 1550 yards, then took off the mask and fins and put on goggles and did 550 yards of breast. Felt good to be back in the water.

Funny - I had looked into the pool before I got dressed. All the lanes were full. I almost went upstairs to run around for a while. Instead I just went on out to the pool. By the time I got there, only one lane had a person in it. Three minutes or so in the steam room, then I got started. In five minutes, there was nobody in the pool but me. When I stopped to change gear, there were people waiting for lanes. I offered to share because that's what you're supposed to do. People decided just to wait. Had I come down and the lanes were full, I would have asked to share. If the person said no, I'd just have hopped in because that's how our pool works. It is so much nicer not to share, but if there's more people than lanes....
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Hour on the treadmill, hills.

What an amazing difference sleep makes! Did my routine a day or two ago, my RPE was a solid 8 after getting 5-6 hours of sleep. Last night I got almost 8 hours, and the exact same routine had an RPE of maybe 5, it was seriously that much easier exertion.

My son broke up with his girlfriend, needed to burn off some aggression, so I guided him through first my treadmill routine, then a weightlifting session. Man, I wanted to be the one lifting! Did him good, as he was too tired at the end to feel any emotional pain.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Feeling a little fatigued, and need to be psychologically/socially "on" tomorrow (challenging for an introvert like me, maybe). So, super-easy steady state, very relaxed, the 63 minutes stationary bike entirely undifferentiated at an even 84W average, nothing above Z2, peak at 123bpm (around 64% max, 55% reserve, total nothing-burger).

Tonight's bike ride blew past 4x the default 150 Garmin "intensity minutes" this week - 633 so far - so I think I'm OK overall.

Planning some of the strength-y-er physical therapy exercises before bed, plus the every day stretchy/massage-y ones. (I don't count these for calories or intensity minutes.)

Tomorrow, another "rep your rowing club, sell learn to row, meet the public" event. I'm womaning two shifts, 11:30-2:30 and 2:30-5:30. This is really fun, but requires me to be socially outgoing IRL, not my natural mode. The event is great, love it every year it happens, a big exhibition focusing on non-motorized outdoor activities, traditionally mostly canoeing/kayaking, but expanding in recent years to broader biking, hiking, camping, etc. Lectures, vendors, non-profit organizations, and more. This is the first non-virtual one since the pandemic shut-downs. I'm excited.

I'll probably do a few 500m pieces on the rowing machine, just to stay warm in the exhibition space and maybe generate conversation, but may not do any other workouts after (except PT) depending on how I feel. We're having a pretty big snow event today/tonight (6"+, maybe freezing rain?), so getting there could be interesting, too, even though it's close.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Mostly doing push and pull upper body exercises to get my lovely deltoids and biceps back after turning my proximal humerus into a puzzle with many parts. Today though was lower body day for a change. Wasn't quite sure what to do, thus I did barbell squats, one-legged romanians (very wobbly), hip thrusts and deadlifts. The deadlifts were also a bit off because I only remembered during the third set how to do them properly when coming down. But the weight was low, thus no danger of injury.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2023
    Options
    As predicted, simulating being outgoing - while in truth severely introverted - at the paddle/bike/camp/hike community event, and doing it on a poor night's sleep, was physically fatiguing, so no real workout today.

I did 5 x 500 meters on the rowing machine (widely time separated) during my 6-hour shift, fastest was for sure 2:11.9 pace, other around 2:13 plus or minus a second-ish, mostly around 28-30spm (faster spm than my usual workouts). That's a slow time objectively, but the fastest was above and the others right around the Concept 2 fifty percentile rankings for my demographic (F 60-69 lwt) at that distance, so I don't feel too bad. It was not max effort, for sure, but was challenging. HR maybe in the 120s, Z2 . . . very short duration, though. I could talk after, easily, and at least short sentences during.

The point of rowing there wasn't a workout per se, more about pulling people into the booth, and staying warm, since this was held in an indoor livestock event facility, pretty barn-esque, on a Winter day. Warmer in there than I expected, since quite sunny out and our booth was on the South wall.

More standing and walking than usual, by quite a bit, too.

Physical therapy exercises yet to do, scheduled the less muscularly intense ones today.

Bonus photos of cool stuff at the event in the spoiler, will mostly appeal to the on-water folks, maybe.
    Big f'n expedition/voyageur canoe.
    ou5lin6e35qj.jpg
    Aesthetically beautiful and also functionally well-thought-out canoe paddles:
    8u9b8gja6sm5.jpg
    Paddleboards - very light, like 30s pounds or so - with laser-cut wood inlays and full wood exterior, some with coordinating paddles.
    2nc2m3k9v3no.jpg
    28wdu4vtwj51.jpg
    This one was a raffle prize:
    sywrjimv866l.jpg

Every year it happens, I enjoy this event so much. This was the first time it happened again, after a pandemic hiatus.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I've started playing with the ergometer at the gym again. I think I'm terrible at it, but it's a good warm-up for whatever else I'll do, and at least SOME of the movement translates to rowing a raft (no sliding seat; I sit on a fixed-in-place metal box and the oars are in oarlocks). I have some rowing coming up, so I want to get those parts of my body ready. To be honest, using the cable machine and doing machine rows with light weight is probably better. I'd hate to try to row like I row my raft on the erg - I know it would drive people CRAZY because it would be SO HARD for someone to watch me doing it THAT wrong - rowing with my back. So I won't.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT setting 150 minutes for 10.1 miles. Zone 2, 3 & a bit of 4 today.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Banged out an hour on the elliptical hills this morning. Come here to report it, and the post right before mine is swimmom banging out 2.5 hours of ellipticals. How quickly I can go from feeling like I did good to suddenly feeling inadequate, lol.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I spent the week diving on the Isle of Mull in North West Scotland. It was lovely.

One expects terrible weather at this time of year. In fact, we had sunshine every day, very little wind, very little snow, and very little rain. Air temperature was typically 6 Celsius; water temperature 8 Celsius. 12 dives (2 a day); max depth 40 metres; max time just over an hour.

I will post a couple of photos later; it doesn't seem to work from my phone.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Just 2000 yard swim (80 lengths).

I will need to take a break from the pool or figure out how to get my fins to stop wearing a hole in the top of my feet.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    KB swings 10x12 (120) 24kg bell
    Alternate sets with dips 10x3 (30)
  • swimmom_1
    edited March 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Banged out an hour on the elliptical hills this morning. Come here to report it, and the post right before mine is swimmom banging out 2.5 hours of ellipticals. How quickly I can go from feeling like I did good to suddenly feeling inadequate, lol.

I don't mean to make anyone feel bad. I can only workout out on my off work days so I do longer times, since I only can do them 3 days/week. So 7.5 hours a week. On my old Elliptical I used to do 3-3.5 hour sessions. This new one with the converging ramp is a harder but better workout. I wish I could workout more like 6 days per week. But I can't motivate myself after work. I already have to get up at 5 and have no desire to get up any early. Being a nurse, I don't always get out on time. Sometimes I have just enough time to grab a bite and get to bed for the next work day.

You are doing a lot more than me in the long run with all the other exercises you do.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I will need to take a break from the pool or figure out how to get my fins to stop wearing a hole in the top of my feet.

JUST? More than a MILE! Did you try wearing a sock? Like a no show type or the kind made for with scuba or snorkeling?

My kids were competitive swimmers. One of the kids on the team, his dad, played professional football for the NY Jets and the Philadelphia Eagles. He told me once he felt swimming was a harder sport than playing football. I was shocked. He said, " You have to swim in a controlled rhythm and control your breathing."
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Been working hard, sorry not posting as much. Did an hour on the treadmill yesterday (easy stuff) and today was a harder lift in the AM followed by my monthly indoor rowing club's challenge.

It was 6 X 1000m with one minute recovery. I was dreading it and it was quite dreadful to be honest. Averaged right at around 2:10. One minute recoveries are brutal. Just enough time to get your HR under control and you have to go again for 4 plus minutes as hard as you can. I was literally counting strokes on the last few intervals just to get through it. I used to do hard rows after lifts all the time, but they are getting hard for me to do now. I've separated it on Thursday (my other hard interval day) and been doing my lifting on Friday, along with an easy cardio session.

@nossmf -- if you do decide to row, there's a website called Dark Horse Rowing that's fantastic on form. Also, Concept2 has some great videos. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but rowing unstrapped teaches you a LOT about sequencing. If you do it wrong, you'll fall backward off the rower. It seems so unnatural at first but it's one of the best ways to learn sequencing and driving with the legs. The form is very much like a clean done right. I also use a band around the rower rail (a trick I learned on Dark Horse Rowing) so that I don't overextend my knees over my feet. It does take a lot of time to learn correct form.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »

JUST? More than a MILE! Did you try wearing a sock? Like a no show type or the kind made for with scuba or snorkeling?

My kids were competitive swimmers. One of the kids on the team, his dad, played professional football for the NY Jets and the Philadelphia Eagles. He told me once he felt swimming was a harder sport than playing football. I was shocked. He said, " You have to swim in a controlled rhythm and control your breathing."

I have some neoprene socks; they are more intended for warmth when paddling than for cushion for swimming. Most likely I will swim without fins for a while as my foot heals and maybe builds up callouses.

Since most of my swimming is with a mask and snorkel, I think it is a LOT easier. I can breathe at will whenever I want. Swimming without my mask/snorkel definitely ticks it up a notch. That's how I swim breast stroke, and while I can swim breast "all day," I still have to time my breaths. Every now and then I try to swim a few lengths of freestyle with just a pair of goggles. I flail. Yes, it's definitely a good workout.