What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    A little stretchy yoga stuff shortly after I got up, stiff AF . . . my feet didn't used to be that far away in toe-reach at the start of sun salutations, but I got there eventually. :D Dang.

Physical therapy appointment again today, another challenging one: Various compound movements (idiosyncratic ones) with dumbbell and kettlebell, plus band exercises, and some weird serratus band + foam roller stuff. Really good, but intense. Various tiny muscles in my shoulders - that I've clearly been underutilizing - get nicely sore. I like it a lot. Ditto for some core twisty muscles.

Lots of errands and chores after, arrived home at the end dragging (energetically speaking) TBH. The surprising thing is that I committed to and got through a CV workout at all (starting after 9PM!), not surprising that it wasn't very intense. (It was a slog, TBH - not sure why.)

So, just the stationary bike, 60+3', all at a mere 87W. Gonna have to do. I'll add some of the milder PT home exercises before bed.

Garmin's body battery report keeps telling me that it's good to exercise, because it adds resilience over time. Um, K? :D
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Hour on the treadmill, another hour walking for my job (normally I work a desk job, but today I'm having to march back and forth between different security offices on a military base, and of course the offices are over a mile apart, so...).

This treadmill only goes up to 15 degrees incline, so instead of doing hills from 10-20 degrees and back I just worked up to 15 and stayed there the entire time. Figured I'd avoid that model treadmill for future walks until I figured out how to login to my Netflix account so I can continue watching the shows I start on my elliptical. Now I can finish each show in half the time, so bonus.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Shilly-shallied my way into not enough time for a regular CV workout, so only 30'+3' stationary bike, all of it at 101W and almost all Z2 (5:33 Z3).

Then I went out with my rowing buddies. There are days when I mysteriously feel too old to be me, maybe this was one; but I had fun anyway. (I ate all the foods - so tasty!)

Probably do some PT exercises before bed.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Tuesday...

7-8 am: Mobility/Flexibility
    Yoga
    (10-15m)
    Strength/Conditioning
    Clean/Press/Squat
    5x246r (60)
    2x16kg
    EMOM
    (30m)
    3-4 pm: Strength
    HSPU - 3x4r (12)
    Chin - 3x6r (18)
    Dip - 3x6r (18)
    50% Max
    Wheel - 1x10

Today...
    7-8 am: Mobility/Flexibility
    Yoga
    (10-15m)
    Strength/Conditioning
    TGU
    10x1 (5L, 5R)(10)
    24kg
    EMOM
    (10m)
    Strength
    Chin - 3x6r (18)
    Dip - 3x6r (18)
    50% Max
    3-4 pm: Strength
    HSPU - 3x4r (12)
    50% Max
    Wheel - 1x10

• nossmf
    Options
    Hour elliptical, hills.

Last night I increased the weight on my elbow rehab exercises, from 3# DB's to 5#, and no apparent setbacks. Still on pace to resume lifting with the turn of the month!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Just an easy hour today, half on the treadmill @ 15% incline (2.4 MPH) and then the rest on the Assault Bike. Nothing hard.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Feeling kind of burned out today, but had signed up for the C2 International Women's Day Challenge, so did the minimum: Moderate 10k stationary bike (106W), followed by a separate 3' CD I arguably could've skipped (74W). Overall, a bit over half the duration Z3, most of the rest Z2.

PT exercises before bed.
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First run post marathon. I'm going into off-season workout so right now I'm doing the guns, buns & abs challenge. Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred twice a week and three runs a week. No more than 5 miles (per run) during the week and no more than 10 miles on a weekend. I rotate in kettle bell swings, deadlifts and glute bridge.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Hour treadmill @15% and speed varying from 3.0-3.5 MPH.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Hour treadmill @15% and speed varying from 3.0-3.5 MPH.

That's an uncomfortable pace at that incline. I do that, but only 5 minutes at a time (at 3.5) on my harder days.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Today was another go at the 6 X 1000m/1 rest interval workout that I did on Monday. Today, though, I didn't lift before. Thought I'd try to make it a bit more tolerable and do it unstrapped. Ironically, I ended up beating my strapped in time by nearly a full second average (2:09.2 average pace today). Likely would have beaten it by more but my dogs were making a total racket and I had to quiet them down on the fifth and get up and let them inside in between the fifth and six intervals. HR got up to around 180 on the last one (around 93% max for me).

Big difference not doing a heavy lift before this row. The other row for the month is an all out 1K. I figure if I can get used to doing 6 of them, 1 won't be a problem.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Just 2000 yard swim (80 lengths).

I will need to take a break from the pool or figure out how to get my fins to stop wearing a hole in the top of my feet.

JUST? More than a MILE! Did you try wearing a sock? Like a no show type or the kind made for with scuba or snorkeling?

My kids were competitive swimmers. One of the kids on the team, his dad, played professional football for the NY Jets and the Philadelphia Eagles. He told me once he felt swimming was a harder sport than playing football. I was shocked. He said, " You have to swim in a controlled rhythm and control your breathing."

I have some neoprene socks; they are more intended for warmth when paddling than for cushion for swimming. Most likely I will swim without fins for a while as my foot heals and maybe builds up callouses.

Since most of my swimming is with a mask and snorkel, I think it is a LOT easier. I can breathe at will whenever I want. Swimming without my mask/snorkel definitely ticks it up a notch. That's how I swim breast stroke, and while I can swim breast "all day," I still have to time my breaths. Every now and then I try to swim a few lengths of freestyle with just a pair of goggles. I flail. Yes, it's definitely a good workout.

2000 yards is a nice swim!

To me, the bolded comment from @swimmom is the key. Endurance swimming is ALL about form and breath control. For freestyle work without a snorkel, many swimmers use a mantra to help establish and maintain a rhythm. Some also use a metronome/ear buds to provide a regular cadence that makes it easier to time your strokes.

One simple mantra that works well for breath work (bilateral breathing in this example) is to think of the words "Bubbles"......"Bubbles" ........" Breathe" in a recurring controlled cadence. This prompts you to always be exhaling a controlled stream of air as you take a left arm stroke, then a right arm stroke, then turn your head and take a breath on the third stroke. Holding your breath makes it hard to keep your breathing controlled as you swim. On the first breath head turns to the left, second breath turn head to the right, etc. If you only breath on one side, then do a two or four stroke cadence. Getting the breathing down is the fastest way to build endurance (assuming your body position and strokes are reasonably good).

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My wife and I are spending two weeks in Florida, so I’m getting a chance to do some outdoor training. Got in a short bike and swim yesterday, then a longer bike ride today. Started in Jupiter heading north onto Jupiter Island. Enjoyed the beautiful shaded route and occasional glimpses of some of the multi million dollar celebrity homes on the island.

I covered 47 miles at a 16mph pace. This was a solid base building ride for me. Will swim again tomorrow.

5qdj60u28skb.jpeg
    s75m82walckz.jpeg
    mny78cjq00c9.jpeg

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Pushing myself to re-establish some kind of stretching/yoga routine, so did a bare few minutes of that before breakfast.

Afternoon, casual walk on the river trail with a friend, just about 3 miles. It was good to get some fresh air and natural light. That's not a lot, but I don't walk much! Arrived home with - gotta admit - low enthusiasm for working out.

I did a short machine row, just 2k + 2' CD - still pursuing easing back into rowing. (Thankfully, my shoulder behaved again.) Moderate pace on the 2k, 2:26.4, 24spm, mostly Z3. Weirdly, my body wanted to be at a non-typical spot in my usual power vs. quickness tradeoff. I kept trying to bring the strokes per minute down, but then would gradually creep up again even into upper 20s where I rarely do basic workouts.

After that, argued with myself about whether and how much to bike, ended up with the usual 60' + 3', but feeling some accumulated leg fatigue by this point, I kept it super easy, 87W throughout.

Coming attractions: PT exercises before bed.
  • ginagoodwin4
    ginagoodwin4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Started week 3 of P90 so workout consisted of Sweat A for 25 mins and Ab Ripper A for 8 mins and now jogging for 45 mins while I work. BRING ON THE SWEAT!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Just 2000 yard swim (80 lengths).

I will need to take a break from the pool or figure out how to get my fins to stop wearing a hole in the top of my feet.

JUST? More than a MILE! Did you try wearing a sock? Like a no show type or the kind made for with scuba or snorkeling?

My kids were competitive swimmers. One of the kids on the team, his dad, played professional football for the NY Jets and the Philadelphia Eagles. He told me once he felt swimming was a harder sport than playing football. I was shocked. He said, " You have to swim in a controlled rhythm and control your breathing."

I have some neoprene socks; they are more intended for warmth when paddling than for cushion for swimming. Most likely I will swim without fins for a while as my foot heals and maybe builds up callouses.

Since most of my swimming is with a mask and snorkel, I think it is a LOT easier. I can breathe at will whenever I want. Swimming without my mask/snorkel definitely ticks it up a notch. That's how I swim breast stroke, and while I can swim breast "all day," I still have to time my breaths. Every now and then I try to swim a few lengths of freestyle with just a pair of goggles. I flail. Yes, it's definitely a good workout.

2000 yards is a nice swim!

To me, the bolded comment from @swimmom is the key. Endurance swimming is ALL about form and breath control. For freestyle work without a snorkel, many swimmers use a mantra to help establish and maintain a rhythm. Some also use a metronome/ear buds to provide a regular cadence that makes it easier to time your strokes.

One simple mantra that works well for breath work (bilateral breathing in this example) is to think of the words "Bubbles"......"Bubbles" ........" Breathe" in a recurring controlled cadence. This prompts you to always be exhaling a controlled stream of air as you take a left arm stroke, then a right arm stroke, then turn your head and take a breath on the third stroke. Holding your breath makes it hard to keep your breathing controlled as you swim. On the first breath head turns to the left, second breath turn head to the right, etc. If you only breath on one side, then do a two or four stroke cadence. Getting the breathing down is the fastest way to build endurance (assuming your body position and strokes are reasonably good).

I may give that a try. One thing I do like about swimming the way I do is that it does become more meditative. Sometimes I don't want to get out of the pool! Last time I would have gone another 20 laps, but was worried about the holes on the top of my feet. I have, in the past, tried to swim with technical proficiency. I actually took swimming in grad school not because I needed a P.E. credit but because I knew swimming is really good conditioning exercise, and I wanted to get better. What I found is partially related to my body and keeping it on the surface. To go fast enough to stay on the surface, I'd get "behind my breath," and then I'd actually have to swim FASTER to be able to breathe fast enough and then.... bad feedback loop. I might be able to do better with fins to keep speed up. I might try it, but the other reality is it's still a decent workout to swim with a mask and zoomer fins if I'm doing longer distances. It's also nice that I enjoy it so much; that makes it easier. If I dislike it, I'm less likely to do it as long.

If the snow lets up, maybe I'll go out and try today.

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I went climbing yesterday. It was a 3 hour session where I went flat out, and could barely walk at the end. It was fun, I got a few v4s. Oddly, I sent a load of stuff right at the end whilst super pumped.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Elliptical HIIT 150 minutes for 10.04 miles zone 2& 3.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Elliptical hills for an hour.

Today was "weigh-in Friday" and my weight loss leaped ahead by almost 2 pounds in one week. Since I started getting serious about losing weight, I seem to alternate two weeks of maintain or meager loss, followed by one week of major loss. Mildly frustrating, but I'll take it.