What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    Injured my foot last night before bed, still sore this morning upon waking at 3am to let the dog outside, decided discretion was the better part of valor and skipped my leg workout today. We'll see how I'm feeling for tomorrow's cardio. I've been walking on it, and my limp is almost gone, so signs are looking positive.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    5 minutes of rope skipping as a warm up, then an easy paced 40 minute run. It was my first actual "run" since the race on July 9. Hoped for a swim, but thunder clouds stopped me again.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Foot felt fine when I woke, so I hopped on the elliptical for my typical Wednesday hour of hills. My foot lasted just fine, but I was really huffing and puffing during the middle section (with the highest intensity). Final numbers were about normal in terms of distance covered and calories burned, but it took a lot of effort to get there. Starting to wonder if a single cardio day per week is enough, if I should add a second. Reason I haven't been is trying to bulk up, but I supposed I could simply get a second day of donuts per week to compensate the caloric burn.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Foot felt fine when I woke, so I hopped on the elliptical for my typical Wednesday hour of hills. My foot lasted just fine, but I was really huffing and puffing during the middle section (with the highest intensity). Final numbers were about normal in terms of distance covered and calories burned, but it took a lot of effort to get there. Starting to wonder if a single cardio day per week is enough, if I should add a second. Reason I haven't been is trying to bulk up, but I supposed I could simply get a second day of donuts per week to compensate the caloric burn.

Now that sounds like an all around win......
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    chest/shoulder day;

Barbell Bench Press 3x12
    Flies 3x15
    One armed reverse fly 3x15
    Cable Side raises 3x20 (I'm between 30 and 40 on my machine with no increments, so more reps, or only do 10?)
    Cable Front Raises 3x15
    Cable skull crushers 3x15

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    Another gosh-darn row, this time in stroke of the double, something I haven't done in a long time. One of the guys I row with decided he was ready to try bow (the watching-behind-your-back and steering position) for the very first time ever. He did great!

We took out a Hudson double the club owns, that I've never rowed before. It felt really twitchy (a special variant of tippy) at first, and it seemed like we were riding higher in the water (even though it's the same rower-weight range as other doubles we've rowed), but we settled in OK.

Kept it moderate intensity, largely because the air quality was in the danger zone again here from wildfires, mostly in Canada. Probably a good thing for new-bow guy, too - things don't happen as fast at slower boat speed. ;)

I was supposed to go to open rowing tonight to volunteer-supervise, but it got thunderstormed out.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was going to report today's work but it's turned into yesterday's work now. Elliptical in the morning. One side of my neck was stiff earlier, and I'm guessing it's from the recent return to swimming, so that was cancelled for today. Instead, the old commuter bike was dusted off, tires pumped, and taken for a 35minute spin. This was just an easy ride to get used to the saddle again. Since the riding was easy, I got on the elliptical again in the evening for a bit.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    I practiced jumping rope a bit yesterday, but that was it. Its been too iify in the evenings to try an open water swim at the lake.

Today I'll swim in the morning. We have the last of our local Thursday night sprint distance races set for tonight if the weather allows it. Forecast is for very hot and humid conditions with Tstorms likely. A friend and I are signed up as a relay team. I'll do the bike leg, with my friend swimming and running. I"m definitely the weak link, since she is a USA triathlon qualifier in the women's 40-44 age group. Should be fun!
  • nossmf
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Cable Side raises 3x20 (I'm between 30 and 40 on my machine with no increments, so more reps, or only do 10?)

You could increase the reps, @_John_, but personally I don't like the idea of doing 20+ reps on an isolation move, too much risk for injury. Instead, you can try pulling an idea from this thread to increase intensity. Were I in your situation, I would go back to 10 reps, but increase the time per rep. Raise the weight quickly, then take 3-5 seconds to slowly lower the weight. Next rep up fast, down slow, etc.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Today I thought I'd continue my annual 1RM testing, this time for squat and deadlift. Added to my bench press result from Monday, I get to remain a member of the 1,000 pound club for one more year. That's the good news.

The bad news is my final set of deadlifts proved one set too many, at least as far as my lower back was concerned. No pops, only moderate pain hours later, but stiff as a board. Hopefully it's just a warning, not an actual injury, and I'll be fine to resume lifting Monday. But I'll be taking it easy between now and then, skipping my Friday workout and weekend weed pulling.
  • _John_
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »

You could increase the reps, @_John_, but personally I don't like the idea of doing 20+ reps on an isolation move, too much risk for injury. Instead, you can try pulling an idea from this thread to increase intensity. Were I in your situation, I would go back to 10 reps, but increase the time per rep. Raise the weight quickly, then take 3-5 seconds to slowly lower the weight. Next rep up fast, down slow, etc.

that () was explaining why 20. I'd prefer 15ish, and i like doing my shoulder work on cables vs. dumbbells. I do most of my isolation work in the 10-15 rep range as hypertrophy is all I'm going for with that part of my work.
  • chadsmitheast
    chadsmitheast Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love kayaking! That water looks so nice and calm.

I went on my first run since being in high school today. Felt good. Going to try a couch to 5k program.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Ugh, sleeping last night and waking this morning were not pleasant with my back complaining to me. But that's why the Big Guy invented ibuprofen and microwave heating pads.
  • _John_
    Options
    Back day:

3xfailure overhand pull-ups
    2xfailure chin ups
    3x6 barbell bent over rows
    1x failure drop set at end of bent over rows
    3x5 sumo deadlifts
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Early morning elliptical, yesterday and today. Then mid-morning yesterday to the pool for 1400m in 25m lanes, mostly front crawl but mixed in 100 kick and 100 IM. Then in the afternoon I rode the commuter bike again but only 21 minutes. This afternoon I went to the gym for 25 minutes on the treadmill, some more assisted pull ups, and a few other cable pulling exercises. My weight is down 5lbs but I reduced the pullup assist by 15 so a net 10 lbs harder pullup. Progress.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Haven't posted for a few days. Wednesday morning was spin class, really struggled but I gave the best that I could give at the time and still felt good afterwards.

Thursday was a rest day, then I woke up yesterday morning with a really painful toe (the one next to the big toe). I don't recall injuring it or bashing it but I'm struggling to weight bear properly and walk on it, it's very weird. It's only in that one toe as well. So yesterday I did a 20 minute walk/limp first thing to see how it felt, then I did a short arm workout and some yin yoga in the evening.

Toe still hurts this morning and now the outside of my ankle on the same foot is a bit stiff. Just gonna do a little home workout on the floor so no pressure on the foot. However I'm going to a horse show later today so there will be walking. Will just have to suck it up and see how it goes.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    I guessed wrong multiple times this week, getting rained out of two open water swim workouts and then rained out of my triathlon relay on Thursday night. :(

Today, three of us got out on our bikes early to beat the thunderstorms. Conditions were fairly uncomfortable, mostly due to the 73 degree dew point. We rode a very nice 33.5 mile route in just under 2 hours (17.1mph ave). I went through 2.5 bottles of drink, so I felt fine during the ride. The best part was jumping into a swimming pool to cool off at the end of the ride.

Lower humidity is forecast for tomorrow, so I plan to jump rope then run.