What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,294 Member
    Options
    Back to stationary bike, the 15k + 3' CD, 116W average for the whole deal, took 39:16, of which just 2:13 Z4, mostly (29:57) Z3, remainder below.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,298 Member
    Options
    Back to the gym for the first time in 2024. I was too scared of crowds, but with National Quitters Day almost upon us, and since I was just a few blocks away at the dentist, I decided to go.

I was so pleasantly surprised that it really wasn't very crowded at all. The open schedule that retirement affords pays off in many ways. There were a dozen folks or so on the workout floor. There was also a well-attended line dancing class and a Fit For Life group exercise session. Even the pool was nearly empty. Oh my.

I "lift" at most three times a week, usually fewer. I mostly use machines, although I'd like to work towards some other routines at some point. I do a full body workout and have rest days in between instead of going every day and alternating what I work. If I go other days, I swim or do cardio of one kind or another.

I am still detrained from being inactive over the summer when I'm outside doing fun stuff like hiking and paddling. I kept the weights dialed down, and I only did two sets instead of the three I did last time. I was more easily able to do all my reps though.

The pool was full when I was done, so I skipped the swim and took a sauna. It was probably nicer than taking a hike in the rain and hail.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    A swim. The one I didn't do yesterday.

I got to the gym and looked into the pool. There was only one lane open, but there WAS one lane open. I got dressed and went out. Well, that lane was now full, but the person who had been in my FAVORITE lane was just getting done. SCORE! My plan was to do a quick 30 laps - about a half hour or so. I use Finis Zoomers fins, so I don't really swim as fast as it would seem if you looked at my data. I usually go in the steam for a few minutes before hopping in the pool, but I didn't want to lose this lane, so I just got in and went.

By my fourth lap, I looked around (underwater because I wear a dive mask and snorkel), and there was not a single other person in the pool. SCORE! I told myself that I would do at least 30 laps and as many as 50 - I would stay in the pool until at least 30 laps and either someone else started swimming or I got to 50 laps. About lap number 25 or so, a couple other people got in. I was actually kind of glad about that. I hadn't planned to swim an hour, and I was happy with 30.

But my Garmin device was having some lag. It does that sometimes. I can look at it and it will tell me "19 lengths," but when I look at it again in 20 seconds it updates to "24 laps." Weird. Anyway, I was pretty sure I was finishing my 30th lap (60 lengths), but my device said, "Ye must do one more." Well, on my way back to the starting point it caught up, so I did 62 lengths - 1550 yards.

I treated myself to the steam I didn't get before I swam, and that was also fabulous.

I am planning to go back tomorrow because late tomorrow night we've got nasty winter weather coming in, and I might not leave home again until Tuesday.
  • droediger1
    droediger1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually have a rest day today. But since I have a VR headset, I’ve been doing the FITXR workout boxing routines and Beat Saber. It is fun and gets me moving for an hour every evening. I’m sore and losing weight, so that’s a good thing!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    A rest day would have been fine, but we've got a crazy ice storm coming. I'll hole up at home until... possibly Wednesday, but for sure until late Sunday. I'm hoping power doesn't go out, and if it does, it comes back on quickly. I hope I don't lose to many limbs off trees. I parked my vehicles off the street to minimize the chances of doofuses crashing into them even on my quiet little dead-end residential street.

I digress.

I got another strength workout today, just all the regular stuff, and it kicked my butt. A rest day would have been good, but I'm about to get a few in a row. I might go out for a walk if it's safe. They are expecting accumulations of maybe a half inch or inch of snow and sleet and maybe a third inch of ice from freezing rain. Freezing rain is the WORST.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,180 Member
    Options
    Thursday:

Weights: Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 3x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

Friday:

Weights: Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x15
    Roman Chair Knee-Ups 4x15
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Skipped working out yesterday for no good reason. :grimace:

Today, rowing machine, the 3 x 2k with 2' row out/in between, and 3' CD after. 2k pieces at paces 2:31.7, 2:28.3, 2:26.5, all averaging 18spm. Total 6,835m in 36:54, 5:52 Z4, 19:19 Z3, remainder below.

Followed that with a very slow, still very light mostly upper-push dumbbell circuit.

Earlier, I did a set of cautious, conservative chair squats with a body bar (I think it's only 18 pounds) to see how my balance felt. I don't have a safe setup at home for heavy squats, and I'm leery of them anyway because my knees are (expletive deleted).
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Nice 4.5 mile walk during a pause in the freezing rain in the nice 22-degree weather down by the river, through the woods, around the sports fields, through the cemetery, and up the street and around back to my house.

Soup time!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Mostly snow shoveling, but only for an hour and 46 minutes: Part way through my nice neighbor Bob (age 80) got home and came over with his mini-tractor-mounted snow blower and made short work of the parts of my driveway/walk that weren't done yet but that the tractor could handle. I had already done a big chunk of the road end including the berm of icy road-plow residue blocking the end of my drive, then did the small bits that the tractor wasn't good for.

g4g68t1s4fa1.jpg

It wasn't nearly as much snow as threatened/promised, only about maybe 3 inches rather than the 5+ that was the upper forecast. The underside of the driveway snow was ice from being against the asphalt (holds daytime radiant heat so melts the first snow) and the upper layer was wet/heavy. Daytime temp was mid-20s F but quite windy. Expected to be in single digits F later this week (for highs), well below zero C of course, and windy. We may get another few inches of snow tonight, but I'm hoping not super much.

Then I did a mere 2k on the stationary bike with a 2 minute CD, a little faster than usual pace on the 2k since short (125W average). I signed up for a C2 January challenge, but at the lame end of the options, since the tougher ones didn't mesh well with my workout plans for the month. The easy one is 500m minimum at least 20 days in January, bike, row, or skierg. I'll greatly exceed meters-wise, but I need to not skip too many days and screw up even the easy challenge. :D
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mostly snow shoveling....

That's one of the few things I miss about living in northern Utah. Rarely have to do it here. If it snows, it usually doesn't last long, and most people just let it melt. Today is different - sleet covered with freezing rain. A shovel won't do anything. Plows won't clear the road. It's just thick ice, but at least since it was also sleeting there's some "texture" and it's not glare ice. I am sure they'll spread sand tonight.

Normally it's just rain here. Rain rain rain. Gray days and rain. Then we get some drizzle, then some showers, maybe a sun break, then rain. Well, that's just on Wednesday.

It makes rivers flow.
    It makes forests grow.
    And we don't have to shovel it!

• nossmf
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    Machine Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
    Cable Woodchoppers 3x10 (High, Cross, Low)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Location, location, location. The wind howls down the hill I live at the bottom of, tends to swirl at my house. My front door faces north, so my driveway and sidewalk are in permanent shadow at this time of year, so anytime there's snow I'm out shoveling. Meanwhile my neighbor across the street faces south, so the rare few times he actually has any snow actually land on his property from the wind, the sun melts it clean off by noon the next day without him lifting a finger.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Been doing walks even with the ice. It was slicker yesterday. My trekking poles were in the back seat of my car. Somehow I was able to get in and grab them along with some water bottles (they weren't frozen yet - those insulated bottles are awesome) and a Luci Light (for the NEXT time we lose power) and did a walk elsewhere. I got to walk through some of the camps where people who don't have a roof to stay under are camping. It must be awful.

Today the sun is out, but it's cold. I have a phone interview in a few minutes, and then I'll go for a walk to enjoy the blue sky and white ground.
  • prduk2000
    prduk2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am restricted in time as I work 9-5 and not social hours. To ensure consistency I am following a triathlon plan with Trainerroad. If I don't die during any of the sessions I will let you know how I am getting on. Best wishes to everyone.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I got back to the gym today for the first time since my colon cancer diagnosis on Dec. 19th (and surgery the 21st). I walked on the treadmill for just over half an hour at 3.0 mph. Was it a bit discouraging to be so slow after doing a triathlon several months ago? Yes--but I'm not going to stop.
  • AussieKT96
    AussieKT96 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Today I did a 6km walk and tris and bi’s at the gym :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Growingannanas kickboxing, live strength with CDornerfitness at 8am and then her live step at 11.
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 16
    Options
    Rowing machine, 3 x 2k, 2' row-out/drink/row-in between, 3' CD. 2:26.9 average pace, 19spm, 10:42 Z4, 16:59 Z3, remainder below. 7039 total meters. Then a dumbbell circuit, mostly upper push, still light weight but slightly heavier light this time. :D
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Leg Press Calf Extend 5x15
    Cable Crunch 4x10