Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,096 Member
    edited September 10
    @AnnPT77 good to be back Auntie😁
    Today's
    Dumbbell bench press 4 x 8-12
    Cable fly (high to low) 3 x 12-15
    Smith machine squats 4 x 8-12
    Leg extension 3 x 12- 15
    Machine shoulder press 3 x 12-15
    Cable curls ( super set with tricep overhead extension) 3 x 12- 15
    1100 steps and 1 hour desk cycle while studying for test.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,734 Member
    Lat pulldown 1x12, 1x10, 1x9 1(105lbs)
    Front pulldown 3x12 (100lbs)
    High row 3x12 (90lbs)
    Mid row 3x12 (185lbs)
    Rear delt fly 3x12 (40lbs)
    Back extension 3x12 (175lbs)
    Bicep curl 3x12 (55lbs) single arm
    Abdominal 3x12 (125lbs)
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,024 Member
    Posting is hard now finding the end of threads is hard...

Monday
    Climbing. I pulled a muscle on Sunday, so I didn't go very hard.

Wednesday
    Badminton. The first time I had played in years. Good fun. 1 hour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,622 Member
    Catch-up report:

Wednesday row, just under 7.5k in bow of the quad, a little longer than usual because we looped back upstream to stay out of the way of the university water ski club that was practicing in a buoy course downstream, and the meters are always different with a different course. (500m-ish is a trivial difference.) We did a couple of oar-blade-depth drills and a bunch of 10 hard/10 moderate stroke intervals.

Thursday, physical therapy session, mostly not active stuff because I was being discharged (not cured, more like stalled and taking a break), then alter just some boat-carrying at open rowing.

Today, more rowing, bow of the double with my friend J. in stroke seat. Body of the row was another set of steady 10 hard/10 moderate intervals.

@drmwc, usually the true end of the thread is back a few page numbers, if I click on the page numbers at the bottom of the page. On another thread, an MFP staff person said they're working with Vanilla Forums to figure out what the problem is and get it resolved.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,771 Member
    Upper Body - Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 4x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10 (2 sets pronated, 2 sets supinated)
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Machine Reverse Fly 3x10
    Machine Lat Raise 3x10
    DB Shrugs 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15, 20, 30sec
  • nossmf
    Lower Body

Squat 4x10
    Rack Pull 4x10
    Leg Press <<superset> Leg Press Calf Raise 4x10
    Seated Leg Curl 4x10
    Cable Crunch 4x10, 15, 20, 25
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 410 Member
    I got in two 15 minutes walks today with my dog and DH. I told another MFP thread that I was feeling unmotivated, but hey, at least I'm here and posting.
  • nossmf
    Amen, @discustank5!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Seated leg press 3x12 (160lbs)
    Seated calf raise 3x12 (120lbs)
    Seated leg curl 3x12 (120lbs)
    Leg extension 2x12 (85lbs), 1x12 (80lbs)
    Hip adduction 3x12 (155lbs)
    Hip abduction 3x12 (155lbs)
    Torso rotation 2x12 (115lbs) both sides
    Abdominal 1x12 (125lbs)

A guy my age and his wife stopped me at the gym today to tell me they noticed and were impressed by my consistency. Yay!
  • AnnPT77
    I felt cranky yesterday because I'd planned to row in the coached row, but the best solution in circumstances was for me to cox a quad instead of rowing. Probably the extra rest day was a good thing, though, because today was the community dragon boat races I signed up to do.

The dragon boat races were super short sprints (just over a minute) so not that difficult athletically even though full out and an unusual (to me) movement pattern. However, it was pretty hot and fully sunny today, so the total experience was tiring (though generally fun). It was cooler first thing this morning, but around 85F (29C) by the last heats. I'll probably perk up some when I get better rehydrated.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,024 Member
    Saturday
    I went sightseeing with my niece in London, so got around 20,000 steps during the day (neither of us like the Tube.) I then went climbing in the evening. 3 hour session. It was odd; I started really badly. However, after 2 hours I suddenly improved. I got 4 of my projects in the last hour; mainly hard v3s but one v4.

Sunday
    I had a quick, easy dive (50 minutes, 10 metre max depth) to test out some new equipment.
  • nossmf
    Upper Body - Power

Bench Press 5x8
    Cable Row 5x5
    BB Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10, 8, 6
    Cable Pushdown 3x10
    Cable Woodchoppers 3x10
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Chest press 3x12 (65lbs)
    Incline press 3x12 (50lbs)
    Decline press 3x12(60lbs)
    Shoulder press 3x12 (60lbs)
    Pectoral fly 3x12 (50lbs)
    Lateral raise 3x12 (25lbs) single arm
    Triceps press 3x12 (100lbs)
    Abdominal crunch 3x12 (125lbs)

Went up 5lbs on chest press
  • DiscusTank5
    nossmf wrote: »
    Upper Body - Hypertrophy

Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)

I've been wondering for ages: what the heck is a preacher curl? Thx in advance.
  • AnnPT77
    Back at the rowing this morning, bow of the double, one of this year's more technically adept (but less confident!) learn-to-row "graduates" in stroke seat. The usual just under 7k, mostly moderate intensity technical work, but we put in half a dozen or so 10-stroke power interval pieces just to see if we could hold the technical improvements with more power.

Tonight, I was supervising the open rowing session, but just carried some boats, didn't row.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Am I the only one who is having problems viewing this thread? I can post to it fine but can't see any posts, mine or anyone else's.
  • AnnPT77
    Am I the only one who is having problems viewing this thread? I can post to it fine but can't see any posts, mine or anyone else's.

@nicsflyingcircus, there's a bug in the software right now that's doing this. They're working on it. Use the number or arrow keys near the bottom of the page to go back a few pages, and you'll see the new posts. Of course, you won't see THIS post, since the notification will link to one of those blank pages. 🤷
  • nossmf
    Treadmill, incline walk - 560 calories
  • nossmf
    edited September 17

A preacher curl is a bench about waist-high, one side vertical and the other side slanted, sometimes with a seat on one side but not always. A lifter positions their chest against the vertical side of this station (may require squatting down slightly or leaning forward) with their armpits at the top of the angle, arms on the slanted side. If you bend your arms and bring your hands together before your face, you appear as if you are a person in prayer, hence "preacher" curl.

The motion is to curl a weight (dumbbell, barbell, cable, or sometimes a machine) up. The bench braces your upper arms so they do not move, keeping your arm in position to ensure the only muscle used to lift the weight is your biceps, without any possible assistance by another muscle (usually the shoulder) or from swinging momentum that can occur if the arm hangs freely during a curl.

Some people use slight variations, such as putting their chest against the slanted side and letting their arms hang vertically, or angling a lifting bench at an extreme angle and propping their arm over the top (with limited room this is usually only single-arm at a time, using a DB or cable attachment). I've even seen a version where a person had a curved metal brace, draped on a loop of rope over their head with the metal across their chest and arms on the opposite side. The point in all cases is to brace the upper arm to eliminate any movement except from the elbow bending.
  • DiscusTank5
    nossmf wrote: »

A preacher curl is a bench about waist-high, one side vertical and the other side slanted, sometimes with a seat on one side but not always. A lifter positions their chest against the vertical side of this station (may require squatting down slightly or leaning forward) with their armpits at the top of the angle, arms on the slanted side. If you bend your arms and bring your hands together before your face, you appear as if you are a person in prayer, hence "preacher" curl.

Oh, that makes sense. I've seen guys at my gym doing this lift (though maybe not with a metal brace) but didn't recognize the name.