What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Speaking of unpopular foods -- pickled beets, done right, are amazing.

the only way I like beets!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    M93KG wrote: »
    Energy drinks like Bang are garbage.

All right, I gotta ask. What do you think of PWO?!?

Hate it. I've long ago reached #getoffmylawn age and think PWOs are throughly unnecessary.

I'm with ya on that one. However, once in awhile I grab a Monster to make it through the day. ;)
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member

Hate it. I've long ago reached #getoffmylawn age and think PWOs are throughly unnecessary.

I'm with ya on that one. However, once in awhile I grab a Monster to make it through the day. ;)

If they would just throttle back on the sugar, the sweetners, the flavor, and the taste of it, it would be a perfectly acceptable product oh and make it taste more like coffee.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    Speaking of unpopular foods -- pickled beets, done right, are amazing.

For my taste - which not everyone will share 😆 - savory pickled beets > sweet pickled beets, by a lot. Harder to find the savory ones, unless I make them myself, though.

Just to weigh in on the vegetable thing: When I was a kid in the 1950s-60s, we had a range of vegetables. Sometimes they were canned, but all summer long they were garden fresh. We did eat the more starchy ones potatoes, peas, carrots (<= those all not mostly homegrown); but also green beans, radishes, tomatoes, peppers, sweet corn, and asparagus ** from the garden; and other things from the store, usually fresh, like broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce (usually iceberg, I admit), cabbage, spinach, celery, etc. I would think of all of those things as very manstream - they were in our small-town grocery, and even the ones we didn't grow in our garden, some other folks did, so considered common stuff.

We didn't ever have eggplant (I started eating that in college, I think) - I think one of my parents must've disliked it, because it was available. They had a brief kick for (brace yourself) canned zucchini in tomato sauce (commercial), which I thought was awful (canned zuke is mush!), but other than that I happily ate all the veggies in childhood and beyond (except lima beans).

Maybe this is partly an urban/rural or subculture thing, to only know and eat a tiny range of veggies, but there was quite a range of them in my very provincial life, even way, way back.

** I was mildly jolted to see Lemur describe asparagus as a delicacy, though I suppose that was true for many - but my blue-collar working class rural family had grown a big patch of it for decades before I showed up, and my dad continued to do so until his 80s. It was never frozen/canned, because that was considered non-good, but we ate many pounds of it fresh every spring.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Does caffeine count as a food? Foods and drinks with caffeine and I don't get along. At all. I can maybe handle a bit of cola or chocolate.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member

Does caffeine count as a food? Foods and drinks with caffeine and I don't get along. At all. I can maybe handle a bit of cola or chocolate.

My two sodas a weekend has turned into two sodas a day...the big ones.

For the caffeine. :)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Energy drinks like Bang are garbage. [/quo

We sell sooo many at work- I can not even do Celsius!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

My two sodas a weekend has turned into two sodas a day...the big ones.

For the caffeine. :)

I've recently become nearly convinced that I've developed an allergy to caffeine. I used to work in restaurants for years and I LOVE black coffee. I literally would drink a pot of coffee years ago every day.

Now, if I have two large cups of coffee (and I use Organic, well, because I'm a coffee snob), I start getting headaches the next day. I've noticed that if I stick to one and a half cups or less, I'm fine the next day. I also sneeze -- a lot -- after drinking a few cups. I have read that some can be allergic to caffeine. Maybe I just had so, so much in my youth, back in the restaurant days, that it reached a tipping point.

I went for several years only drinking tea. Might have to go back to that, but man, I'd miss my coffee.
  • pancakerunner
    with the exception of frozen french toast sticks, I have never liked french toast
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    with the exception of frozen french toast sticks, I have never liked french toast[/quote]

Me too! Thought I must be the only one not liking French Toast!
  • VegjoyP
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    with the exception of frozen french toast sticks, I have never liked french toast[/quote]

Me too! Thought I must be the only one not liking French Toast!

Same honestly. Not huge on waffles either, I like the smell. Pancakes however.....Absolutely love!
  • PAPYRUS3
    ^Pancakes...so so yum
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Despite the fact that everyone I know drinks diet soda with aspartame and studies show it is safe, I still think it is an evil ingredient that we will find out is horrible for us!
  • VegjoyP
    Despite the fact that everyone I know drinks diet soda with aspartame and studies show it is safe, I still think it is an evil ingredient that we will find out is horrible for us!

I had to stop using aspartame, I was getting headaches which turned into migranes.
  • pancakerunner
    I think I finally pinpointed why I'm adverse to nut butters like almond and cashew... because there are no chunky varieties! Why is there chunky PB but no chunky cashew butter??
  • pancakerunner
    I think Bang recently reformulated because I used to like a few of their flavors but now they have a weaker flavor and strange aftertatse
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    I think Bang recently reformulated because I used to like a few of their flavors but now they have a weaker flavor and strange aftertatse

I assume that taste has something to do with sucralose because I started to get the same thing wth the danon light and fit greek yogurts. Which sucks because they have some great flavors!

I've tried a few flavors of Bang, the grape ones and the birthday cake, but that weird taste really ruined it for me.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Is it "unpopular" to add chopped or shredded romaine lettuce to a hot soup?
  • VegjoyP
    edited September 2020
    I think I finally pinpointed why I'm adverse to nut butters like almond and cashew... because there are no chunky varieties! Why is there chunky PB but no chunky cashew butter??

Omgosh right??? I lovd cashew but want a crunchy!!
  • PAPYRUS3
    qhf90yulwr4q.png