What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Spinach is gross
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Spinach is gross

I do have trouble dealing with frozen spinach, the texture and wetness of which I don't like; but leaf and/or baby spinach I find quite nice, treating it like kale or lettuce, including it in salads without a gripe.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Spinach is gross

Agreed! I like spinach IN things though... cooked spinach dip, etc.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Cake stinks. My birthday was this past weekend and I requested a pumpkin pie 😊

I ask for cherry cheesecake on my b'day.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

Apple pie w/ vanilla bean ice cream is the correct response ;)
  • pancakerunner

is cheesecake really cake though??
  • quiksylver296

No. That's the point!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I like cake.
    Y'all are weird. :p
  • pancakerunner
    I like cake.

Okay okay okay.... i like cake too. But, like, it REALLY depends. Come to think of it, I like all cakes... carrot cake, devils food cake, funfetti... the only "cake" i don't like is "cakey" things like brownies and cookies... if you know what I mean???
  • SuzySunshine99
    I like cake.

Okay okay okay.... i like cake too. But, like, it REALLY depends. Come to think of it, I like all cakes... carrot cake, devils food cake, funfetti... the only "cake" i don't like is "cakey" things like brownies and cookies... if you know what I mean???

Haha, sounds like you like cake. "Cakey" things, as you describe them, are a different thing altogether.
    To be fair, I rarely eat cake...but when it's my birthday, there better not be some stupid pie!
  • quiksylver296
    I like cake.

Brownies MUST be fudgy!!!
  • SuzySunshine99
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I like cake.

Brownies MUST be fudgy!!!

Yes. Brownies should be heavier than you expect when you pick them up. Dense. They should be a little sticky in your mouth, like you have to take a drink to talk. That's why I don't like brownies with icing - icing is redundant on a good brownie, it's only needed on a brownie that isn't fudgey enough.

Yes, I've thought about this a lot.

Yes. I use a recipe from the New York Times...Katherine Hepburn's Brownies. They are super dense and fudgy, not cake-like at all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member

As a point of information, there exist forms of cheesecake with a more cake-like crumb texture, but richer by far than regular cake. (A variant along the lines of the lighter-textured French/German types is my favorite kind of cheesecake. There's also a Japanese type, maybe others.) They're very different from the heavier, less tall, densely creamy-textured cheesecakes like New York or classic cheesecake (which are also good, just not my favorite).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like cake.

My wife makes a carrot cake with pineapple, coconut and a ridiculous amount of cream cheese frosting and it's the bomb.

Best icing if you've ever had it -- Royal Frosting. Totally different than Buttercream Frosting. So, so good.

Edit, scratch that (got my frostings confused). It's actually called Marshmallow Frosting.

https://cookiesandcups.com/fluffy-marshmallow-frosting/
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,709 Member
    I really don't like cake except a super dense chocolate pound cake maybe. But- I like
    ..ok love.. cake BATTER! 😂
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    all baked goods stink. however, unbaked goods are fair game. batter is life ^^
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Weighing in on the cake thing because....cake! I'm a simple, old fashioned girl who is actually happy with a white or golden cake and either chocolate or a light spread of buttercream frosting (it's so sweet!). When I need to go crazy and up my calories, I like to get this slice of tres leches cake from Vons/Pavilions/Safeway with a whipped cream frosting. It usually runs around 1000 calories a slice.

I don't like carrot cake but loooooooooooooooove cream cheese frosting.

That marshmallow frosting sounds good tho. :)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ok...cake...

I could totally pass on a 'fluffy' chiffon cake (don't like Angel Food at all) I do quite like a dense/white/vanilla or yellow cake with a great buttercream...yum!

I stay clear of the typical of the 'Safeway' types of cakes. That icing is just the most inedible thing out there! and the cake is about the same imo

I think my favorite is carrot cake w/ cream cheese icing of course.