What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    a very random opinion, but I prefer fat + protein over fat + carbs
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    anyone from Washington??? Apparently putting cashews on pizza is a thing?? czarya9fi7vd.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    anyone from Washington??? Apparently putting cashews on pizza is a thing?? czarya9fi7vd.png

OMG I am intrigued!
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Love pizza and love cashews, but the combo sounds too, too something.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

OMG I am intrigued!

Me too! They look roasted and I feel like I'd find them delicious and crunchy on pizza.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Anything with MSG makes me sick. I threw up once in the middle of the night after eating a bag of Doritos not knowing it has tons of MSG. So I need to avoid it completely. People sometimes add MSG to their cooking, especially asian food, which is too bad for me.

You do know MSG occurs naturally in many food items right?

Yes, I know it occurs naturally in many foods. For example, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, as well as in tomatoes and cheeses. So I have cut out tomatoes and all dairy, and never have soy sauce or foods with any kind of yeast in the indgredients. Since I am on keto, I don't eat bread, which really helps! I also feel nauseous after soy sauce just like things with added MSG.
  • pancakerunner
    Options

OMG I am intrigued!

would 100% try! l3lbuu4q2e93.png
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Cashews on pizza is a delicacy hubs and I must have missed when we visited WA last year...can't say I'm terribly disappointed, though...

(Apologies if this has come up already but I'm not reading back through 170 pages) I must be the only person alive that bought a spiralizer because I like zucchini and not because I'm looking for a lOw CaRb pAsTa sUbStiTutE. No one ever talks about making zoodles because zucchini is tasty, no one spiralizes cucumbers for cucumber salad just to shake things up, nope, it's all about avoiding tEh EviL CaRbS.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Cashews on pizza is a delicacy hubs and I must have missed when we visited WA last year...can't say I'm terribly disappointed, though...

(Apologies if this has come up already but I'm not reading back through 170 pages) I must be the only person alive that bought a spiralizer because I like zucchini and not because I'm looking for a lOw CaRb pAsTa sUbStiTutE. No one ever talks about making zoodles because zucchini is tasty, no one spiralizes cucumbers for cucumber salad just to shake things up, nope, it's all about avoiding tEh EviL CaRbS.

To be fair, how one slices, dices, or otherwise cuts up one's veggies is not a very lively topic for conversation. Cutting zukes in spirals instead of matchsticks (say) is a convenience, but it's hard to frame as revolutionary or life changing. Not conversationally fascinating.

Add that (some, silly) people will think of us as wingnuts if we do it just to eat tasty veg, when everyone knows it's for cutting out evil carbs by sacrificing foods we enjoy, in the epic dietary battle of Good vs. Evil. In that frame, veggies are kinda icky, but dutiful. Only the low-carb ones, though. 🙄

And I'd definitely eat the cashews on pizza (might try it at home sometime). I'd skip the pepperoni . . . mostly because vegetarian, but also as someone who's been veg for a long time, there are limits to how much mouth-coating melty but congealable fat I want on my pizza (or anything else). The mouth feel is not pleasant, to me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I used zucchini at times in lieu of pasta when I had no interest in how high my carbs were (although I didn't mind it was a bit of a calorie savings -- it's great with pesto which of course can be quite high cal), and same with spaghetti squash. I love zucchini, but usually don't spiralize it because I think it tastes as good chopped the normal way, and spiralizing is fussier than I like unless there's some reason to do it for a specific dish.

I make cucumber salad too, but have never seen one that required spirals.
  • BlobE1
    BlobE1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate the texture of pasta and noodles, it's just rubber slime. I don't understand why someone would eat cheese for the taste. Oh, and eggs suck.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I think olives are a great snack
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I think olives are a great snack

it's been awhile since I've had an olive (🤨)...but olives are super delicious (just not those nasty canned ones!)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Olives are yummy but now that I have had kidney stones I can't eat them anymore (they're high in oxalates)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Olives are a favorite of mine. I don't think of them as a snack (since I don't snack), but I use them in cooking a lot or just have them on a salad.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options

Guy around here who makes great wood-fired brick oven pizza has an appetizer now that's PB&J on pizza crust, *with cheese*. He gave me a sample when he was first experimenting with the idea. I wouldn't have thought it, but it was good: The warm peanut butter and warm jelly on his excellent pizza crust (Detroit style), with the added richess of good mozzarella? Transportingly good, in fact. I don't know how much of it I could eat, because it's really, really rich. But sooo good.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cake is disgusting.
    Dark chocolate is the worst.
    I prefer instant mashed potatoes to real.